Home

TOR demo videos

Endorenna

(shrug) Well, for me it confirmed that I'm going to love this game. The visuals are good, the voices/lip movements were good, the smuggler combat was interesting ('cuz I like 1-0 combat ;)), there's dual wielding, and it finally showed that not all the women have large chests (the red-headed technician vs. the lieutenant). And, mainly...the lightsaber actually made contact with the other lightsabers when it was blocking them. (The main thing that's always annoyed me about MMOs is that blades don't block each other--'parry' just pops up once in a while.)

Looks good to me. Not ever having played an MMORPG though I can't say I have much of a basis for comparison. :D I liked how the cover mechanic for the smuggler worked though I hope players will be able to turn off the "cover available here" images if they so choose.

And the force leap, or whatever they called it, for the Sith warrior. Definitely felt the KotOR influence there. :^:

Why did the renovate Ajunta Pall's Tomb? It looks completely different.

Not epic enough.

Seriously, though, that's the least irritating part, IMO. The Valley of the Dark Lords in the KotORs is also radically different from the Valley seen in earlier renditions of Korriban, such as in Jedi Academy. I take it as being a representative rather than descriptive, TBH.

The graphics are still on KoTOR level, the voices are good, but the atmosphere is just "meh". I mean, there's just none of that originality in character or starship design that was present in the first KoTOR - Republic Troopers 3500 years before the movies for some reason look almost exactly like late Clonetroopers/Imperial Stormtroopers and the bounty hunter is for some reason translated as the Bobba Fett class, since apparently the standard equipment of every self-respecting bounty hunter is a jetpack and a flamethrower. I can't say it's all bad, though. The game might still turn up interesting, but for me it doesn't really matter unless it's going to be a subscription free game, like Guild Wars (which I highly doubt).

Remember back when the Empire made up the concept of Grand Moffs?

:lol: My thoughts exactly.

My guess is that erosion is the reason a lot of the Valley looks different. Also, these are different archeologists than the ones in K1. They probably dug deeper than their predecessors.

As far as Ajunta Pall's tomb, maybe they were digging from a different entryway.

I'm not a huge fan of 1-0 combat, but I'm surprised people actually thought it was going to be anything but that; it's pretty hard to design an MMO with another combat system. As long as they give me plenty of different powers and abilities to keep me busy, and not a HUGE grind from start to finish (i.e. WoW, which gives you like 2-3 abilities for about 30 hours).

I'm not bothered about the "1-0 combat". It's like an RPG with a skillset, but using hotkeys instead of selecting the skill with your mouse (though RPG's have hotkeys as well). Okay, so you can't pause, but that's how it is in MMO's.

Although I expected it from BioWare, the voices and the lines still make me shudder. Some of the writing in that video is awful, if I'm honest.

Although I expected it from BioWare, the voices and the lines still make me shudder. Some of the writing in that video is awful, if I'm honest.

Some of the dialogue isn't great, but I did like the voice acting. One or two of the lines could've been done better. Still, I sat through all the poorly written/performed lines in K1 and TSL, and I didn't go insane. This looks like the combat will make up for the dialogue. :lol:

And it's early pretty early in development. They might improve, they might not. (shrug)

I've been wanting to like this game, but i'm finding it harder to like it with each new press release or video.

It seems that BioWare couldn't be bothered to design an original atmosphere, so they've simply ripped parts from other areas of Star Wars lore. The Sith are too much like the Empire - they have near identical uniforms, logos, ranks, and of course, the stereotypical British villain voices.

I'd really like to give it a chance, but it's looking less and less like my cup of tea.

I'm not entirely pleased. The attitude that was shown, essentially 'Kill kill kill!' (yes, I realize that the views we were shown was mainly Dark Side, but even still, it appeared as though you had no choice other than to slash and shoot), and had no other options. *shrugs*

Also, the dialogue choices disappointed me greatly. I saw relatively little differences per conversation, and then the clips praised the 'extensive dialogue and fun choices.' The voice acting was decent, but that's nothing if the options are goushi.

Also, the dialogue choices disappointed me greatly. I saw relatively little differences per conversation, and then the clips praised the 'extensive dialogue and fun choices.'

Well, they only showed us one outcome per conversation. As far as we know, one of the other options changes things entirely.

I've been wanting to like this game, but i'm finding it harder to like it with each new press release or video.

It seems that BioWare couldn't be bothered to design an original atmosphere, so they've simply ripped parts from other areas of Star Wars lore. The Sith are too much like the Empire - they have near identical uniforms, logos, ranks, and of course, the stereotypical British villain voices.

I'd really like to give it a chance, but it's looking less and less like my cup of tea.

Exactly what I said. I'm glad someone shares my view on the matter. The Mass Effect styled dialogue options don't help matters either. I mean, it's a good system... for Mass Effect, not for KoTOR, or in this case TOR.

Still, I sat through all the poorly written/performed lines in K1 and TSL, and I didn't go insane.

The what in a what now? :eek: Begging your pardon, but K1 and even TSL had great dialogues and excellent voice actors.

The what in a what now? :eek: Begging your pardon, but K1 and even TSL had great dialogues and excellent voice actors.

As I remember it, Mical, Juhani, Bao-dur, Carth, and Bastila were what got me in the habit of turning off the sound on video games. :lol: After the first playthroughs, I just couldn't take listening to them anymore. And some of the dialogue was incredibly annoying. Kreia, Jolee, HK, and Canderous almost always had good lines and voices, but some of the others...dang. >_<

@Litofsky

I think the way it works is it gives a very brief description of what will happen when you choose a certain option (kill the captain, reassure so-and-so, etc.). None of the lines were the same as the options on the dialogue wheel. For instance:

Option on wheel: You're relieved. [Kill him]

Actual line: Suicide was deciding you could ignore your superiors.

Could someone tell me exactly what is so bad about the Voice Acting? Is everyone expecting Uber snark or something?
Considering that BioWare seems to be hyping the VOs ad infinitum, as if they've engineered something wholly new, it's a massive overstatement. The marketing campaign concerning this aspect parallels the introduction of the CD-ROM, and the multitude of shoddy FMV-based games that came with it. Really, since when did quantity equate quality?

Archived