14 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Okay
    • You can do better
    • It Sucked

lucascast_threadtitle.png

For this episode, we discuss in length all the games we have been playing over the last couple of weeks.

Release date: 18th November 2009

Download page: http://www.lucascast.com/lucascast-episode-13/

Summary:

• The games we have been playing.

Comments:

Please leave us comments! Let us know what you think of the episode, and if you have any questions you want answered on the show, use our contact form or email us at questions@lucascast.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

We hope you enjoy the show! And don't forget to tell us what you think!

Awesome show guys and gals.

Borderlands is indeed pretty cool, but I haven't gotten my soldier past level 12 due to Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age Origins, and Assassin's Creed 2.

Dragon Age Origins - Awesome. My first play through as a human noble warrior took me 51 hours. I'm playing again as an elf mage. Going to make some different decisions to see how they turn up in the ending. I just wish they were more cinematic rather than just some pictures and a paragraph of text.

As for the DLC stuff. I have a feeling that's parent company EA influencing Bioware. Whatever the B.S. the Doctors try to spin, it's all about making EA more money by charging 7-15 bucks on crap that should have just been in the game in the first place.

Graphically, I think the game is alright (PC version with settings up to max) with lots of perpetual blood.

Also, I haven't encountered a single bug or glitch in the game. Had one crash, and that was it.

P.S. I played on Easy. I'm not hardcore RPG enough to want to be all tactical and stuff. Plus, I just wanted to hack and slash stuff.

Mass Effect 2 looks so friggin awesome compared to the first one. Unless those game play videos I've seen were playing on some super high end PC, the graphics have been vastly improved.

I played Modern Warfare 2 and beat it the next day. Single player is really short, but I still have the specops maps to do.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed 2. I'm only on Sequence 4 right now. No idea how many there are. The game is so much better than the first one. My only complaint at the moment is all the Italian spoken during cut scenes and stuff. You can understand some of it from context and stuff, but the rest just goes over my head. Tycho at Penny Arcade suggested playing with subtitles, but I really hate subtitles.

I'll defiantly get Borderlands sometime after Christmas I hear great things and I'm hoping to be very pleased with what I see. I have to wait another month to play Modern Warfare 2 as I'll hopefully be getting it as a birthday present.

BTW, I'm British and I say Bowie like the Americans do. I know a few that say it that way as well I rarely hear it been pronounced like how Lexx says it.

Yes, I'm starting to get the distinct impression that I have been pronouncing it wrong all these years. All my friends say it the same way I do, so maybe it's just a London thing, I dunno. I've sent a tweet to his son Duncan Jones (who directed the new film Moon which is awesome) asking to settle the argument, so we'll see if he replies. ;)

Mass Effect 2 looks so friggin awesome compared to the first one. Unless those game play videos I've seen were playing on some super high end PC, the graphics have been vastly improved.

I know, it looks so awesome. I can't freaking wait!!

So that others shall here this, I proclaim the following: LucasCast is a travesty, and this episode proves it. I spent an hour listening to unprofessional drivel; a completely non-entertaining, uninformative discussion about video games. This doesn't deserve the merit of a website or a forum section, as this last episode proved it had the professional stance of a morning news-show.

First, some criticisms of the concept off the top of my head:

Amateurism. By this, I mean, no one seems to know a smattering of what they're talking about, particularly when there should have been some prior research beforehand. This also includes the analysis of a game in-question, which usually amounts to this: "I played [insert game here]. It was awesome!" This isn't an analysis; it's a conversation usually found between adolescents: frills and hype over substantial thought and critique. Please, give exact details and intellect-driven critiques, and actually know what you're talking about in the first place.

In-jokes. If one to remove all of the incessant digression and outbursts, then each cast would be 25% shorter in length. Really, I know I don't want to here a spontaneous conversation between several non-entities, so why should everyone else want to bear with that? It's as if one were to publish a conversation between friends in-private within the Wall Street Journal; it's boring, mindless, and unprofessional.

Redundant conversations. Talking about one game almost every episode. I don't want to name any specifics, but if one has been a faithful listener, then you would know what I'm talking about. This, compounded by the fact that the initial analysis is usually lacklustre to begin with...

The main point that I'm trying to make is that there has been no real improvement in quality from the first episode to the current. I tolerated the first few episodes, mainly due to the fact that it is an initial debut, and that after some initial trial and error the podcast would find a formula that works. However, I've seen the exact opposite, to the point where each episode is progressively worse in quality than the first. That's not simply an annoyance; it's an outright travesty.

Do not consider these views as only the ramblings of a disgruntled "someguy", to be taken with a grain of salt. I am positive that others agree with me, and feel that this podcast is an outright embarrassment to LFN as a whole. Those that wish to concur are more than welcome to do so by responding here. Henceforth, I issue an ultimatum: Either create some interesting, intellectual, and outright semi-professional content within LucasCast, or just euthanize it already.

@PastramiX--we sound like amateurs, because, shock and horror, we AREN'T PROFESSIONAL RADIO PEOPLE. I'm learning as I go along, and I can tell a difference between the first cast and the latest ones, although I still have a lot to work to do on articulation and speed. How about providing some constructive criticism on how to improve instead of just blasting us with sarcastic vitriol? That would be a lot more helpful.

You're asking for something that this podcast was never designed to do, and that's deliver college level dissertations about things like the intricacies of different styles of dialogue or moral themes in RPGs. That isn't our focus and never was, because frankly, it would be gawd-awfully boring to most listeners.

Now, if you have something constructive and useful to say, please do so. If not, see ya.

So that others shall here this, I proclaim the following: LucasCast is a travesty, and this episode proves it. I spent an hour listening to unprofessional drivel; a completely non-entertaining, uninformative discussion about video games. This doesn't deserve the merit of a website or a forum section, as this last episode proved it had the professional stance of a morning news-show.

First, some criticisms of the concept off the top of my head:

Amateurism. By this, I mean, no one seems to know a smattering of what they're talking about, particularly when there should have been some prior research beforehand. This also includes the analysis of a game in-question, which usually amounts to this: "I played [insert game here]. It was awesome!" This isn't an analysis; it's a conversation usually found between adolescents: frills and hype over substantial thought and critique. Please, give exact details and intellect-driven critiques, and actually know what you're talking about in the first place.

In-jokes. If one to remove all of the incessant digression and outbursts, then each cast would be 25% shorter in length. Really, I know I don't want to here a spontaneous conversation between several non-entities, so why should everyone else want to bear with that? It's as if one were to publish a conversation between friends in-private within the Wall Street Journal; it's boring, mindless, and unprofessional.

Redundant conversations. Talking about one game almost every episode. I don't want to name any specifics, but if one has been a faithful listener, then you would know what I'm talking about. This, compounded by the fact that the initial analysis is usually lacklustre to begin with...

The main point that I'm trying to make is that there has been no real improvement in quality from the first episode to the current. I tolerated the first few episodes, mainly due to the fact that it is an initial debut, and that after some initial trial and error the podcast would find a formula that works. However, I've seen the exact opposite, to the point where each episode is progressively worse in quality than the first. That's not simply an annoyance; it's an outright travesty.

Do not consider these views as only the ramblings of a disgruntled "someguy", to be taken with a grain of salt. I am positive that others agree with me, and feel that this podcast is an outright embarrassment to LFN as a whole. Those that wish to concur are more than welcome to do so by responding here. Henceforth, I issue an ultimatum: Either create some interesting, intellectual, and outright semi-professional content within LucasCast, or just euthanize it already.

Everyone is busy, and nobody e-mails us. Ever. Every week we have to scramble to come up with ideas because we get no input from anyone ever. I have begged nonstop for e-mails.

If this podcast is not "Intellectual" enough for you, why the hell do you continue to listen? Would you prefer politics? Because I forbid the use of politics and religion before we even got started. As far as news, we record every other week, and then it takes more than a week to edit that just so we can post it. Like, how current do you expect us to be?

Also in regards to games, while i get only a few games free per year, we are not an "official" games review site so it is left to the confines of our pocket books as to what we can and cannot review...deal with it.

Also, Alpha Protocol is not out, and it is not our fault, so quit your bitching.

Also, being a douche bag to us on the forums, does not secure you a spot as our producer...

P.S. Are you mad that we made fun of you on the last podcast? If you don't want us to say it, then don't post here anymore.

LucasCast: The official podcast for the LucasArts Fan Network making you too afraid to have an opinion.

Yes, the way Pastramix went about it wasn't the greatest way to do things... but the reaction from the staff wasn't any better. But I guess like what's been said... if you don't like it, don't listen... it's gonna suck if too many people take that to heart though... right?

The reaction of certain podcasters to Pastrami's post is reminiscent of that of fanboys and precious web-"artistes" everywhere.

Exhibit A:

Aww, Groovy hurt poor Pastradicks feelings. I have another solution, if you don't like it, stop listening to it. :)

Either that or you haven't got his more oblique hints, and he's getting fed up. In any case, if he didn't listen to it, you'd tell him he's no right to critique; you haven't presented a counter-argument, just attempted to excuse yourself from criticism by demanding that those who don't like what you do must either ignore you (which is difficult, given the amount you lot whore the LucasCast around the forums), or that they have no right to critique.

@PastramiX--we sound like amateurs, because, shock and horror, we AREN'T PROFESSIONAL RADIO PEOPLE. I'm learning as I go along, and I can tell a difference between the first cast and the latest ones, although I still have a lot to work to do on articulation and speed.

The problem is more the vacuosity of the content, not the presentation.

How about providing some constructive criticism on how to improve instead of just blasting us with sarcastic vitriol? That would be a lot more helpful.

... He did. I also saw nothing sarcastic in his post. If you need everything sugar-coating, posting things on the internet is not the way forward. And heaven help you if you ever get anything published in the real world. Because real book critics aren't going to sugar-coat things, either.

You're asking for something that this podcast was never designed to do, and that's deliver college level dissertations about things like the intricacies of different styles of dialogue or moral themes in RPGs. That isn't our focus and never was, because frankly, it would be gawd-awfully boring to most listeners.

No, he's asking for some content rather than the usual mix of smug in-jokes, vacuous comments on Niner's penis and declaring that latest hype-engineered sequel du jour is the greatest thing ever. He didn't ask for a college-level dissertation, but some content.

Perhaps an actual analysis of a game for once, rather than "I played Legends of Hyperbole: Onan's Revenge. In it you play as a magical fairy who has to save the world from the evil pirate king. It was pretty and awesome. Everyone else should play it" could be provided (which, if you check Pastrami's post, is what he actually asked for, not what you decided to read in).

That's not insightful, useful or interesting, but that's the greatest level of critique I've ever seen you give on that thing. Other, of course, than "I prefer KotOR", or "still not as good as Mass Effect".

But you ignored most of what was under his sub-headings, so I don't imagine you'll listen to me.

Now, if you have something constructive and useful to say, please do so. If not, see ya.

He provided plenty of constructive criticism. If you're too precious to be able to listen to it, I suggest you either ignore his post or don't produce things in public.

Contrary to the received opinion, Pastrami's post is quite temperate, concise and well-mannered, not the "sarcastic and vitriolic" attack you seem to have decided it to be.

Everyone is busy, and nobody e-mails us. Ever. Every week we have to scramble to come up with ideas because we get no input from anyone ever. I have begged nonstop for e-mails.

Possibly you should take that as indicative of the number of listeners you attract, and as a reason to switch tacks or experiment a little? Nah, that'd be ridiculous.

If this podcast is not "Intellectual" enough for you, why the hell do you continue to listen? Would you prefer politics? Because I forbid the use of politics and religion before we even got started. As far as news, we record every other week, and then it takes more than a week to edit that just so we can post it. Like, how current do you expect us to be?

As said above, we'd both like to see some actual critique of games, rather than fairly vacuous rambling punctuated by mentions of Street Fighter, KotOR, Mass Effect, Niner's penis and your store.

Also in regards to games, while i get only a few games free per year, we are not an "official" games review site so it is left to the confines of our pocket books as to what we can and cannot review...deal with it.

Which would be a good reason to add more detail to your discussion of games, n'est pas? Or maybe to add some general commentary on games? You know... the things he's been asking for?

In any case, saying "if you don't like it don't listen!" and then advertising the podcast all over the forums is a non-argument designed to exempt yourself from examining his criticism rationally. Which implies you aren't interested in it.

The "how dare you criticise my perfect creation!!!!" thing is not only old, it's a tacit admission that you have no response to your critics.

Also, Alpha Protocol is not out, and it is not our fault, so quit your bitching.

He didn't mention Alpha Protocol. So quit inventing charges against him.

Also, being a douche bag to us on the forums, does not secure you a spot as our producer...

And being precious about your invention does not either help you to improve or to impress your readers and, perhaps most critically, your opponent.

P.S. Are you mad that we made fun of you on the last podcast? If you don't want us to say it, then don't post here anymore.

Are you mad that he criticised your pet project, or because you recognise his criticisms are valid and have no response?

Yes, the way Pastramix went about it wasn't the greatest way to do things... but the reaction from the staff wasn't any better. But I guess like what's been said... if you don't like it, don't listen... it's gonna suck if too many people take that to heart though... right?

Personally, I thought his post was eminently well-tempered, and that certain staff members have thrown Stephen Fry-style tantrums in response to a really quite temperate criticism.

Certainly they've done their damnedest to make the podcast difficult to ignore.

If this is the reaction to his review, I'm quite glad I didn't post the one I was preparing a few weeks back; no doubt it would have driven you into suicidal depression.

@PastramiX--we sound like amateurs, because, shock and horror, we AREN'T PROFESSIONAL RADIO PEOPLE.
Of course; I'm not trying to debate that. I simply feel that more effort could be exerted in the quality and execution of the material at-hand, so that one might be able to at least feel that it was well-thought-out. To be honest, I've rarely seen a real attempt to polish the actual material, and that was only by a few select people in a few incidences.
I'm learning as I go along, and I can tell a difference between the first cast and the latest ones, although I still have a lot to work to do on articulation and speed.
It has nothing to do with voice; that's outright perfect. It does concern the actual material, however.
How about providing some constructive criticism on how to improve instead of just blasting us with sarcastic vitriol? That would be a lot more helpful.
I don't want to sound overly apologetic or self-righteous, but I feel that I did just that. If you would like it to be more specific and straightforward, then I'd oblige. :)
I'm not asking for a master's thesis; I'm simply pointing out that the past discussions have only scratched the surface of what could have been done; actual analysis and contrast of a game in-question, rather than giving absolute verdicts based on shallow descriptions alone.
If this podcast is not "Intellectual" enough for you, why the hell do you continue to listen?
I really meant "More intellectual than now", which is quite the opposite of thereof. I'm trying to emphasize that the current trend is, frankly, quite shallow and almost tasteless, to an extent.
No; I actually found that to be the most entertaining portion of the latest episode, honestly. :)

Or, for brevity of it all, whatever DI said. :)

Personally, I thought his post was eminently well-tempered, and that certain staff members have thrown Stephen Fry-style tantrums in response to a really quite temperate criticism.

It's the ultimatum part that I was focusing on really. At the time thought it was a bit much, and to be honest I hadn't actually listened to the podcast myself... I haven't been for awhile because I honestly can't stand listening to it... but from what's been described, it seems the ultimatum may have been just considering it's a listener saying "Give me something of substance or I've had enough."

Believe me when I say that Pastramix hasn't been the only one to have met this kind of hostility...

It's the ultimatum part that I was focusing on really. At the time thought it was a bit much, and to be honest I hadn't actually listened to the podcast myself... I haven't been for awhile because I honestly can't stand listening to it... but from what's been described, it seems the ultimatum may have been just considering it's a listener saying "Give me something of substance or I've had enough."
I really didn't mean it as a bona fide ultimatum, but more of an eventual outcome of LC judging its current situation: A uninteresting, living product, or an aborted, semi-content one. Sorry if I didn't clarify that... :)

All right--the last few posts were actually far more helpful, if rather acerbic on DI's end. I apologize if I read more into your initial post than I should have--you had mentioned you rely heavily on sarcasm in the Skype chat, I made the assumption that was what you were doing here.

Now that you explained what you were meaning, I see what you're getting at. I'll work on that some more.

I'm going to say some things that need to be said.

Since we started back after the summer break, we've been finding it hard to come up with topics for the cast, and more than a few times we've asked ourselves if it has been worth continuing with it. We pretty much covered everything we could to do with the forum, Star Wars and LucasArts in general in the last season, and now the cast has gone in a direction not originally intended. The lack of feedback from the community has been demoralising, and we just haven't known up until now how everyone felt about what we have been doing lately. If I'm honest, I have to agree with some of your points. We are indeed amateurs at this, we're just forum members trying to do something for the community, but obviously the enthusiasm for the cast has died. If people wanted it to continue, we would have had more support in this thread.

I think it is harder for us to take this criticism because it has come from Pastramix, who all of us regard as an arrogant prick (and I'm sure the feeling is quite mutual). If it had come from someone else, we might not have been quite so fast to jump down his throat and be so defensive. The way he said it so mockingly didn't help either. Nethertheless, he makes valid points. When people start to see what we are doing as a joke, then I would say it's time to call it a day.

It's been great fun doing the cast, but if it's not appreciated or enjoyed by anyone but ourselves, then what's the point?

Personally, I still like the cast. It's a bunch of people coming together and having fun talking about whatever comes up.

In short, the complaints are that it isn't what it set out to be.

In short, the cast members are saying that they're doing the best with what they have.

If you don't like what's happening to it, then make some suggestions on how to improve it. Criticism without correction is basically insult, and I'm sure that's how everyone has taken PastramiX's remarks.

I liked the podcast as usual - i love hearin gamer opinions - so im swayed to and not to buy things - e.g i just bought uncharted 2 :D

offtopic :

Groovy, u work at gamestop don't you? I heard that gamestop are invadin europe - is this true? if so - when?!

if u dont know - never mind

Well gang, there have been some recent developments that have caused to me re-think my logic.

Due to recent development, it is apparent that MANY of you would like to salvage this podcast. Also, my ex high school sweetheart has recently become a fan as well...

I owe some apologies. PastramiX, it was too easy to dismiss your claims as trolling our forums as I have been dealing with trolls for years now as an Admin, but you made some valid claims for which I did not give you any credit for.

It was easy for us to defend ourselves due to lack of participation, but we understand that we have can't expect participation if you are not interested in what we are saying. I get how you can assume that we are trying to defend our creation, when we are shooting from the hip on these episodes. That is NOT what we wanted when we got into this. We got some keen insight recently, and we even snagged a few LF volunteers for this project which tells me that many of you REALLY want this thing to work, and for that I am prepared to deliver.

We have a volunteer to help us record, we now have a volunteer to "produce" the podcast, and we even have a volunteer to help us validate our spoken material.

Darth Insidious,

You listened to us, and we took it out on you as well. We get what you are saying. More substance, less foreplay. I think we can pull this off. Just be patient with us, ok? Sorry for getting on the defensive...

It can be demoralizing not getting any feedback at all, and then being told your podcast just plain sucks. Keep in mind, we put our personal lives on hold just to make this happen. We WANT nothing more than to do this right, but we are not professionals, and it DOES take a great deal of feedback to know what you guys want. IE, don't wait for us to fail to tell us what is wrong, tell us what you want first!

We got more volunteers, and crap load of ideas spinning around as I type this

Now keep in mind that half of the podcast Crew are Americans and Thanksgiving holiday is a big deal for us, so for our next podcast, we are going to recycle some material that we hope you will find entertaining. We are going to discuss our favorite Star Wars movies and why. Now when we come back from Holiday we HOPE to deliver the podcast that you are all waiting for. Now keep in mind, that at THIS time I have some genuine feedback, but the rest of what happens from here on out, depends on the lot of you. You MUST email us, or post here, or just send one of us a PM. Fair enough?

Thanks, no hard feelings?

Grooveh

I've enjoyed all the episodes that you guys have done and I think its a lot of fun, don't let certain people put you down. Its a great podcast and its good that you speak about different topics on various genres of games not just LucasArts, which makes it different from others like the mixnmojo podcast which has mainly focused more on the adventure games.

I'm wondering as a suggestion for a future show would you do like a look back episode at this year and each talk about your top 5 favourite games from 2009 and why and also you could mention what each of you think will be your top 5 games in 2010.

I'm wondering as a suggestion for a future show would you do like a look back episode at this year and each talk about your top 5 favourite games from 2009 and why and also you could mention what each of you think will be your top 5 games in 2010.

We will be doing a special 'Favourite of 2009' podcast, talking about our favourite games, movies, albums etc. :)

And thanks guys for all the support, it's really appreciated. We're glad to hear that people still enjoy listening to the cast, and we shall endevour to make it better and more interesting for you.

With some time for the holiday this week.. I was able to listen to a few casts. I think the crew does a fantastic job. Seriously though... turn the radio on in the morning to listen to any morning show.. and it's just 3-4 folks sitting around talking about everyday stuff mixed in with some news and weather and traffic.

If anyone does not enjoy it, don't listen to it.. i.e. turn the channel.

Personally, I enjoyed the few I listened to and will be sure to eventually listen to the rest.

We appreciate the efforts made by those that put this together... and we're proud to have a podcast on LFN by this great group of people.

On a side note... I like Lexx's accent so much, I may hire her to do my voicemail msg. ;)

Keep up the fantastic work.. we're all proud of all of you!

Ari

• 1 month later...

I like the casts. Just the way they are.

It took me a while to get around to listening to this one... but I personally like the unpolished, non-professional "bunch-of-gamer-friends-sitting-around-talking-about-their-opinions-about-what-they-are-playing-and-what-they-like-or-dislike-about-them."

If I want pro reviews and critiques, I have G4 and any number of websites I can get that content from.

I want to hear people I know (if only virtually, online through this forum and Facebook) and like tell me about what they are playing in a casual manner. Being the world's most casual gamer, I typically buy all my games on word-of-mouth from friends.

I bought Forza 3 on the strength of leXX's recommendation, and I haven't regretted it (or put it down yet...) and typically, I HATE racing games.

Maybe make some tweaks to tighten up the cast... but don't change the tone too much. I happen to like the casual nature and in-jokes. That's what keeps me coming back.

Archived