Home

Green Day Rockband

I"m not sure what makes me sadder, the youngster who now at this moment really loves his band and kind of ignores all the other good music stuff out there.

Or the older folk, bashing on him, when I'm sure, they had this kind thing themselfs, when they where young.

Give Mando Shadow a few more years and he'll be differant, no doubt will see and hear, Green Day isn't the UBER AWESOMENESS. He thinks it is now.

Anyway, carry on, poking each other, creating idiotic threads is what internet was made for.

Cheers.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to say something about me hardly being older than him, but I can't say that w/o his age being posted. But, at 17 I'm hardly part of "the older folk", I just have taste in music :xp:

@VarsityPuppet: Okay, minor threat than, so Retarded Cousins are harder to beat on than Greenday! (Again, apologies to any mentally retarded people who may be offended by being compared to Greenday)

@Jae: Okay, Devo may have also had a big effect to, can't say I've listened to any of their songs off the top of my head though.

@Mando Shadow: I'm agreeing w/ DI here, it is historical FACT that the Beatles are far more influential than Greenday is.

Proof? Look at music pre-Beatles and post-Beatles and compare the two. There's a major difference that can be attributed to the Beatles.

Do the same for Greenday. There's not a lot of variation there that can be attributed to them.

Proven.

but you haven't given me anything specific about what the Beatles did.

jonathan7 certainly did get specific and posted 4 facts and arguably 5. I quoted him in post 56 and added some more facts. Several others have posted facts about the Beatles here, too.

@Det. Bart--I think I could use some of your special recipe brownies about now. ;P

Ok can someone answer my question now.

I promised myself I wasn't going to get involved any more, but hey-ho.

The Beatles have had a massive influence on bands and artists of various genres (the Monkees, for instance, were created by U.S. Television to cash in on the success of Beatlemania). Not only have they influenced other groups, but they also influenced the way music was recorded.

The Beatles were also the first music group to perform a stadium concert, kicking off their 1965 American tour with an audience of 55,000. The concert sold out in around 15 minutes, and proved that large scale outdoor concerts could be profitable.

Some of the more famous musical acts that the Beatles have influenced include The Monkees, Oasis, Pink Floyd and Queen.

That was all I wanted everyone else insisted on telling me I was wrong and claiming the Beatles were the best band ever without backing it up.

Both Astor, Jae and myself, all used various statistics to back up the claims of Beatles influence (which got more and more in depth as the thread went on); Them being the best selling musical Artists ever I would have thought would have been enough to back up claims for the importance of the Beatles.

Furthermore, the above statement just to me indicates that you didn't read the Wikipedia on the Beatles...

Both Astor, Jae and myself, all used various statistics to back up the claims of Beatles influence (which got more and more in depth as the thread went on);

I don't remember this

Post 56 for mine, to refresh your memory. --Jae

Them being the best selling musical Artists ever I would have thought would have been enough to back up claims for the importance of the Beatles.

You did do this but like you said it was purely statistical and regarding to their sales not their influence

Furthermore, the above statement just to me indicates that you didn't read the Wikipedia on the Beatles...

Wikipedia... Really... Of course I didn't read Wikipedia I want accurate information not something someone made up.

I don't remember this

To point to a few places...

Here;

It doesn't matter if you disagree or not. Fact the Beatles the biggest band ever. Fact - the Beatles are the top selling musicians of all time. Fact - the Beatles changed music FOREVER. Fact the Beatles are universally loved by pretty much all (unless you haven't heard them). Fact, the Beatles are so awesome Micheal Jackson bought there music and re-made their music, because basically you can't improve on perfection.

Here;

Liking Green Day is your opinion.

Stating they were the most influential contributors to "punk"/music or whatever made up genre you kids are naming nowadays, is plainly just wrong. Hell, Nirvana has probably contributed more than Green Day.

According to RIAA certifications, they have sold more albums in the US than any other artist:

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt

Take a look at far down Green Day is on that list?

The Beatles have had more number one albums on the UK charts, and held down the top spot longer than any other musical act:

http://www.everyhit.com/recordalb.html

Green Day isn't even on that list. This doesn't mean The Beatles are the most influential group ever, but they are a hell of a lot more influential than Green Day. Don't blow out of proportion the importance of your generation.

And here;

OK, OK, I should have said they were the most influential, and arguably the best, rock group ever.

I might agree with you if Buddy Holly hadn't had his life and career cut short by a plane crash. He did some ground-breaking work to be sure, but I think the Beatles had an even greater impact on rock.

I agree. Bohemian Rhapsody ftw! :D

Let's add some more facts to this list.

Beatles: 27 number 1 songs, Green Day--what, 5?

The Beatles' song 'Yesterday': Most recorded song in history. Green Day? Not even close.

In 1964: Beatles at one point had 5 songs in the top 5 and 12 spots in Billboard's top 100. Green Day hasn't come close to that. No other group, period, has come close.

Beatles: only band in history whose members went on to all record number 1 songs as solo artists as well.

Beatles recorded the first concept album (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

Invented the concept of the studio album with Revolver

Were the first group to popularize the lineup of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, and drums

Record sales: Beatles: certified 230.1 million, estimated 1 Billion. Green Day: estimated 65 million--they're not even in the top 50 in album sales. The opera singer Luciano Pavarotti has sold more albums than Green Day.

The Beatles' compilation album '1' was the fastest selling album of all time, was number 1 in 28 countries, is the highest selling album of the decade in the US, and has sold 31 million records alone.

The Beatles have 3 albums in the top 25 highest album sales world-wide. Green Day doesn't even break the top 100.

You classicist you. ;P

They 'could have'? Then why haven't they? Because they aren't nearly as good as the Beatles, and never will be.

It's opinion that Green Day is any good to begin with. It's fact that they are not musically, critically, financially, or commercially anywhere close to the Beatles in quality or quantity of songs and albums.

Oh, the Beatles only helped make Rock mainstream so that punk rock could even exist in the first place.

You did do this but like you said it was purely statistical and regarding to their sales not their influence

What on earth do you think statistics are for? They are to prove that the Beatles have influence, the fact that they are the best selling artists ever, shows they have massive influence. The statistics show, that by being the best selling artists, they have been heard by the most people and as such by default have to be the most influential; as so many people have heard their stuff.

To be very honest, you seem to in this and many other threads, have great difficulty separating what is opinion and what is fact.

Wikipedia... Really... Of course I didn't read Wikipedia I want accurate information not something someone made up.

You do realise all the sources at the bottom of Wikipedia, link to sources for the data; Wikipedia is great as a source of any useless knowledge - I find it really strange that a school kid is so snobish, of what is regardless of anything else an extremely noble enterprise; mainly to bring a free encyclopaedia to everyone.

Regardless, their Beatles article is accurate, and furthermore, you cannot criticise something until you have read it. If you read the Beatles article, and then find some false data in the article that would substantiate your claim against it the please bring it forth.

Both sides seem to have devolved into a feces-slinging match, with one faction exalting a fairly mediocre band, with the other supporting a band forged from the virgin essence of mediocrity.

As tiresome of an exercise as it might be - almost akin to hoarders vs. wasters in Hell - the end result is satisfying. Carry on, carry on. :drama:

Both sides seem to have devolved into a feces-slinging match, with one faction exalting a fairly mediocre band, with the other supporting a band forged from the virgin essence of mediocrity.

The Beatles aren't my favourite band there are a great number of bands I much prefer to listen to than the Beatles - however, I don't see how the Beatles cannot be seen as anything other than highly influential; like them or loathe them.

Curtesty of mimartin, here is an interesting article on the subject.

Green Day directly influenced bands like Weezer and Jimmy Eat World as well as many punk bands that came after them they also helped make punk music widely listened to. Ok can someone answer my question now.

You do realise influencing a few bands isn't influencing music itself, right?

On the other hand, Bad Religion released three albums between 1988 and 1990 which single handedly revived the punk rock genre, with numerous critics citing their 1988 album "Suffer" as the one of the most important punk albums ever released. Not only did they influence Green Day, they influenced nearly every punk band formed afterwards.

Archived