Home

Green Day Rockband

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-20 year long career is not "extremely long".

-Over 150 songs is not that much.

-Green Day did not revolutionize punk, Bad Religion did with their 3 album punk revival spree.

-"8 studio albums so far not to mention live albums and EPs" is once again, not that much.

Green Day did close to nothing for music, stop arguing a false fact.

What did I say that deserves a Facepalm?

Liking Green Day is your opinion.

Stating they were the most influential contributors to "punk"/music or whatever made up genre you kids are naming nowadays, is plainly just wrong. Hell, Nirvana has probably contributed more than Green Day.

According to RIAA certifications, they have sold more albums in the US than any other artist:

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt

Take a look at far down Green Day is on that list?

The Beatles have had more number one albums on the UK charts, and held down the top spot longer than any other musical act:

http://www.everyhit.com/recordalb.html

Green Day isn't even on that list. This doesn't mean The Beatles are the most influential group ever, but they are a hell of a lot more influential than Green Day. Don't blow out of proportion the importance of your generation.

Yes, that's right. They invented writing and the wheel after all.

Could someone please pass the sick-bucket?

OK, OK, I should have said they were the most influential, and arguably the best, rock group ever.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I was not listing an artist I felt was better than the Beatles. I was listing an artist that was a major influence on the Beatles right down to their very name.

Plus Buddy Holly was a Texan. It is mighty reckless to mess with Texas.

I might agree with you if Buddy Holly hadn't had his life and career cut short by a plane crash. He did some ground-breaking work to be sure, but I think the Beatles had an even greater impact on rock.

Queen Rockband would be awesome.
I agree. Bohemian Rhapsody ftw! :D

It doesn't matter if you disagree or not. Fact the Beatles the biggest band ever. Fact - the Beatles are the top selling musicians of all time. Fact - the Beatles changed music FOREVER. Fact the Beatles are universally loved by pretty much all (unless you haven't heard them). Fact, the Beatles are so awesome Micheal Jackson bought there music and re-made their music, because basically you can't improve on perfection.

What exactly have greenpoo done?

Let's add some more facts to this list.

Beatles: 27 number 1 songs, Green Day--what, 5?

The Beatles' song 'Yesterday': Most recorded song in history. Green Day? Not even close.

In 1964: Beatles at one point had 5 songs in the top 5 and 12 spots in Billboard's top 100. Green Day hasn't come close to that. No other group, period, has come close.

Beatles: only band in history whose members went on to all record number 1 songs as solo artists as well.

Beatles recorded the first concept album (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

Invented the concept of the studio album with Revolver

Were the first group to popularize the lineup of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, and drums

Record sales: Beatles: certified 230.1 million, estimated 1 Billion. Green Day: estimated 65 million--they're not even in the top 50 in album sales. The opera singer Luciano Pavarotti has sold more albums than Green Day.

The Beatles' compilation album '1' was the fastest selling album of all time, was number 1 in 28 countries, is the highest selling album of the decade in the US, and has sold 31 million records alone.

The Beatles have 3 albums in the top 25 highest album sales world-wide. Green Day doesn't even break the top 100.

You got it right up to here. The Beatles were a mediocre pop group who changed mediocre pop groups (and mediocre pop music commentators) forever.

You classicist you. ;P

Green Day is not my favorite band but I defend them as you do and I'm sure they could have

They 'could have'? Then why haven't they? Because they aren't nearly as good as the Beatles, and never will be.

No not facts opinions. and mine is valid too
It's opinion that Green Day is any good to begin with. It's fact that they are not musically, critically, financially, or commercially anywhere close to the Beatles in quality or quantity of songs and albums.

Ok what did the beatles do for Punk music?

Oh, the Beatles only helped make Rock mainstream so that punk rock could even exist in the first place.

You are the ignorant one I simply an missing one numerical fact
Don't flame. Calling someone ignorant is flaming.

In all fairness, I'll say that both of you have abhorrent, untermenschen tastes in music.

Well, the game is called ROCK Band, not 'Over-blown, self-aggrandizing, Bartokian-dissonant Late Romanticism/Early Modernism' Band. :xp:

I might agree with you if Buddy Holly hadn't had his life and career cut short by a plane crash. He did some ground-breaking work to be sure, but I think the Beatles had an even greater impact on rock.[/QUOTe] Since Buddy Holly was one of the Beatles greatest influences, then shouldn't he share in some of their impact on rock music? Would there even been have a Beatles without the music of Buddy Holly?

Sounds like an episode of Quantum Leap.

Since Buddy Holly was one of the Beatles greatest influences, then shouldn't he share in some of their impact on rock music? Would there even been have a Beatles without the music of Buddy Holly?

Sounds like an episode of Quantum Leap.

He was one of their influences, but not the only one. The Beatles were amazingly talented in their own right. I'm not saying Holly didn't have a great impact on rock--he did. I think he would have had an even greater impact had he not died as young as he did. However, the Beatles have had far more of an impact on rock than Holly did, in part because of sheer longevity, but also the breadth of their rock music ability.

Stop feeding the troll guize

I don't think he's trolling to be honest; just young.

Also along with the nothing significant in my generation comment I would like to say that Green Day is the Generation above me not my generation

That depends on how you term "generation" is Green Day a band your age likes? If so then it is "your generations" music.

I find it interesting that you haven't answered Jae's post, may I inquire why?

"Just talking 'bout my G-G-Generation"

Whoops, sorry, wrong band.

Anyway, I'm with the bandwagon here. Greenday Sucks, ergo Rock Band: Greenday will suck.

Hell, I'm 17 and I hate about 80% of modern music (Very quick off the top of my head estimation) so maybe I'm not their target market :xp: but, still, why are they taking Rock and bastardizing it with.... Punk.

The only Punk group worth anything that I can think of are The Clash. And, since they were before Green Day it's a fair assumption to say that they 'changed' Punk more than Greenday ever has, ergo they're better than Greenday. :xp:

Anyway, beating on Greenday feels like Beating on a retarded cousin (Sorry to all of those mentally retarded out there!) it's too easy and you feel bad after beating such a defenseless thing.

Oh well, they're never going to get my sale on this.

I'm a fan of Green Day. I have most of their albums, both new and old, and I fully agree that they are nowhere near the Beatles in quality, musicianship, lyrical content, nor influence on succeeding acts.

The Beatles are legends for a reason. They aren't the best music group ever but they're one of the most influential of all time. Similar to how Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Stan Kenton, JJ Johnson, and especially Buddy Rich were for Jazz; similar to how Tchaikovsky, Mahler, and Beethoven were for modern classical music.

I'd easily place Nirvana miles above Green Day in terms of influence.

"Just talking 'bout my G-G-Generation"

The only Punk group worth anything that I can think of are The Clash. And, since they were before Green Day it's a fair assumption to say that they 'changed' Punk more than Greenday ever has, ergo they're better than Greenday. :xp:

Or maybe Devo. "Crack that whip!!"

Gotta love the skinny sunglasses and the red plastic flowerpots they all wore on their heads.

I wish I had some cool old artist to reference to give me credibility... but I don't.

I like whatever songs I like. I try not to be biased and find new songs that I'll like... no matter when they were made.

Anyways... here's my evaluation:

Green Day Rock Band:

Another way to make money.

Let's remember the general target demographic for Video Game industries which is adolescents, teens and young adults. Chances are that most of them have either heard of Green Day.. or like them. Ultimately, this means more $$$$ for game studio and for Green Day too.

I don't care if Green Day gets its own Rockband game. This is an issue of money, not fame or... kickassness or ballsuckery.

(For the record, I don't hate Green Day... it just bothers me that there is a much better and less annoying "Know Your Enemy" and yet you never hear it played.) (Nor do I hate the Beatles)

Either way, I'll never play Rock Band. Actual guitar wins every time in my opinion, but I realize that not everyone wants to take that up (or is even interested in it) as a hobby and that's fine.

@ ForeverNight: Try Minor Threat. They are unnecessarily fast, but it grows on ya.

Don't flame. Calling someone ignorant is flaming.

Then someone should remind j7 of that. ;)

See my below post

<snipped>

Complaining about flaming when flaming nearly an entire form is somewhat ironic, no? Now, I personally don't want to see you banned, so I can only suggest saying things like the above is not a wise thing to do. -- j7

No more ironic than, say, I don't know, self-professed (ad nauseum) Christians exhibiting demonic behavior (do keep in mind that this example is not directed at anyone personally; it just sort of came along on a lark). Besides, read Jae's comment below. According to her, I wasn't flaming anyone because it wasn't directed at anyone, specifically. That is, unless, somehow, that rule only applies to you and not to me. Remember, "The wording is important." ;)

It was however, directed at everyone thought, but should you wish to query this I'm more than happy to take this to PM; I'd be interested to ehar about this "demonic" behaviour too -- j7

Oh, I'm sure that you would like to take this to PM, but, unfortunately, I'm not falling for that again.

Thread: I didn't know who Green day was until I read some of the song names provided in this thread. Now I got one of those stuck in my brain and feel like burning down your future house and car.

Quoted for awesome. Best post in this entire waste of cyberspace. I never liked them either, but to each his/her own.

*returns to listening to Vivaldi*

Then someone should remind j7 of that. ;)

Where exactly have I flamed anyone? If you care to point it out I'll review it myself, but it is never my intention to flame anyone, and above anything else, as a Moderator, I always try and hold myself to a higher standard than I expect of anyone I Moderate; point out the flame and as said I'll review it and change it if I see I have flamed. -- j7

Edit:

I have since adjusted my wording, however I did not call Mandalore the Shadow himself ignorant, I merely stated that his post showed ignorance on the particular subject matter. I don't really see how it can be argued since all the fact/statistics or whatever you want back up a conclusion that MtS doesn't know what the Beatles achieved, further more he has failed to produce a single statistical fact to back up his false claim that Greenday are more influential that the Beatles -- j7

They aren't the best music group ever but they're one of the most influential of all time.

I can agree with this.

I'd easily place Nirvana miles above Green Day in terms of influence.

Not with this however

I have since adjusted my wording, however I did not call Mandalore the Shadow himself ignorant, I merely stated that his post showed ignorance on the particular subject matter. I don't really see how it can be argued since all the fact/statistics or whatever you want back up a conclusion that MtS doesn't know what the Beatles achieved, further more he has failed to produce a single statistical fact to back up his false claim that Greenday are more influential that the Beatles -- j7

Yes we get you you didn't call me ignorant you just said I am ignorant. And I can agree that maybe I don't know the extent of what the Beatles did but you haven't given me anything specific about what the Beatles did. And this...

false claim that Greenday are more influential that the Beatles

...is an opinion so it cannot be false.

Archived