Home

The Legend of Monkey Island (Sea of Thieves)

Gins

4 hours ago, Didero said:

Oh yeah, I'm not seeing this as canon at all. It's called 'Legend' for a reason!

That or Guybrush and Elaine's wedding ship unknowingly slipped through a fissure in time, eventually leading to the events of Legend. Sometime after the ending of Legend, Guybrush and Elaine got back on their ship and unknowingly slipped back through the fissure, wiping their memories of the events of Legend, accidentally colliding with a ship of random pirates who board their vessel, tie Guybrush to his own mast, battle Elaine, and set the events of Escape in motion.

Tada! Canon! 😎

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MurraySchull said:

I'm just gonna ignore any sense of canon

If the Monkey Island canon is consistent in one thing, it's that you get a headache from it and you always gotta have a pot to deal with it.

Edited by Gins
double submit

14 hours ago, MurraySchull said:

That or Guybrush and Elaine's wedding ship unknowingly slipped through a fissure in time, eventually leading to the events of Legend. Sometime after the ending of Legend, Guybrush and Elaine got back on their ship and unknowingly slipped back through the fissure, wiping their memories of the events of Legend, accidentally colliding with a ship of random pirates who board their vessel, tie Guybrush to his own mast, battle Elaine, and set the events of Escape in motion.

Tada! Canon! 😎

Or maybe it’s just a story he’s telling his kid 😮

New promo video for the first “tall tale.” Some first looks at the characters. In particular, the storekeeper! After the false start we got with his lack of appearing in Return, he seems to be finally featuring in this game. Can only hope Jess Harnell still voices him and gives is some more hilarious reads. In general, every character seems to be faithful to their SMI classic mode designs as opposed to the special edition.

Edited by MurraySchull
  • Like 1

Accompanying interview

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/07/18/legend-of-monkey-island-exclusive-interview/

puzzles confirmed including insult swordfighting. The plot gets elaborated on and an interesting narrated memory feature added as an in game collectible. This really feels like it’s something more than just silly side content. 

also potentially the sea cucumber and the dainty lady seen in the vid. Not totally sure though. 

• Like 2

@danielalbu Paul will be thrilled!!

15 minutes ago, MurraySchull said:

New promo video for the first “tall tale.” Some first looks at the characters. In particular, the storekeeper! After the false start we got with his lack of appearing in Return, he seems to be finally featuring in this game. Can only hope Jess Harnell still voices him and gives is some more hilarious reads. In general, every character seems to be faithful to their SMI classic mode designs as opposed to the special edition.

Paul will be thrilled!!

@danielalbu

The Deep Dive is brilliant - it shows how much passion they're putting into it as a team, and I'm really hopeful for it. Installed Sea of Thieves this evening and will go through tutorials/whatever tonight ready for tomorrow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mintopia said:

The Deep Dive is brilliant - it shows how much passion they're putting into it as a team, and I'm really hopeful for it. Installed Sea of Thieves this evening and will go through tutorials/whatever tonight ready for tomorrow.

Also nice to see Dominic tightly involved

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lechuck said:

Sea of Thieves is multiplayer, right? How will exploring Melee island work - will it be crowded with hundreds of other players?

I don’t think so. Not sure why but that didn’t seem to be the case with the pirates of the caribbean expansion (i just checked it out on yt) and in every video they’ve shown so far melee island seems appropriately sparse.

• Like 1

I played it last night as i havent played since the beta. There is now a tutorial mode so itll get you used to how things work which i recommend if you're playing for first time, once tutorial is done it puts you into the main game but strangely i never saw another player or ship, i had the whole area to myself lol

Edited by Threepwood4life

SoT is currently down for maintenance (presumably while they're loading Legend's assets into the servers) but we have a start-game screen in the meantime with some new details! (And a new version of the main theme!)

image.png

Yeah, what a great deep dive! A ton of love and passion obviously went into creating the expansion and it confirms some awesome things that I was hoping for! Love what they've done with the "iMuse" like effects in the Scumm Bar too. If Monkey 1 had been made a year later with more music capability, it would've probably done something like that.

Edited by MurraySchull
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MurraySchull said:

Um... there's a way to save your progress, right?...  Am really enjoying the atmosphere and exploring the environments, but I'm not seeing any save/load options anywhere...

Should just kick in approximately where you left off. 

There is a checkpoint system. It only saves your progress once you get to certain points - then you can resume from there. It's a bit rubbish that you can't save and load at will, but I guess the multiplayer aspect makes that hard.

I've finished the chapter and I enjoyed it! I posted some thoughts in a Mojo comment. I would post more in a spoiler thread if a) one existed, and b) it wasn't 3:30am!!! Maybe tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1