Elessar-Eärfalas

FotR or TTT  

23 members have voted

1. 1. FotR or TTT

• LotR - FotR
    • LotR - TTT

This is a toughie.

I liked TTT more than FOTR.

They were both great movies but I just thought that TTT had more better battles and we got to see more. We got to see the Ents, Rider's of Rohan, Easterlings, the Black Gate. It was just so much awesome and cooler to me. It just didn't have that much of the Nazgul.

:lsduel::duel:

I'm torn. As I've read the books, changes made in TTT were far more extensive than in FOTR. I've seen FOTR about a dozen times now, and TTT 3 times now in the last 9 days.

So, as far as "satisfying the Tolkien Geek in me", I'd say FOTR had less to complain about.

But visually, TTT was DEFINITELY stunning. Gollum, the Ents, and all the battle scenes were astounding. So as a piece of film (ONLY), I think TTT was better.

I'm sure I'll see them both again. :)

people who read the books are always dissapointed in the movies. thats why i wont read the books. and if people talk about it *online or otherwise* i wont listen cause the movies f'in rock and i dont want to be 'let down' like all u bookworms *no offense*

Originally posted by MydnightPsion

people who read the books are always dissapointed in the movies. thats why i wont read the books. and if people talk about it *online or otherwise* i wont listen cause the movies f'in rock and i dont want to be 'let down' like all u bookworms *no offense*

If it wernt for us "Bookworms" there would never have been a movie, remember that I´m sure PJ would never have done the movie if no one even read LOTR. Besides, the books is better in my opinion ;)

I agree, there are pieces in books that will never convert well across to film, and there are pieces in films that would never be well written in a book....

Each has their own strengths, and with Middle Earth and all of it's chronicles, JRR has given such a rich and deep tapestry from which PJ can draw from. I wouldn't mind seeing the Extended edition of TTT, with the extra pieces here and there to flesh out the story, that would've made the 3 hr movie stretch on too long...

Movies are never as good as the books because the audience tries to compare the two too literaly. Movies can never recreate the books because:

• they are 2 different texts, movies being visually orientated and books being literally oriented
  • movies are shorter than books
  • movies are more condensed and intense in terms of drama, tension and suspense
  • movies allows for less audience imagination and reflection, which the books uses to fill in the gaps.

Most people who enjoyed a particular book will often be disappointed by the movie, because they expect a complete recreation, which is not possible.

They should be compared as 2 forms of medium, or 2 different takes of a common idea, or atleast consider it as a transformation into a different medium, rather than an exact translation or transcription.

Originally posted by Elessar-Eärfalas

which did you guys like better, either The Fellowship Of The Ring, or The Two Towers...?

TTT is better by far, the book was better too, it had better humor, better action, better drama, more thrills chills and more fights than you can toss a dwarf at if you dont get you balls hacked first by gimlis ax

Evil Lunatic Jedi: Gollum can't be cute! Gollum just can't be cute!

Good Lunatic Jedi: But it all rocked! The Ents! The Oliphaunts! Everything ROCKED!

Evil LJ: The changes were too drastic! The Ents changed their minds too quickly!

Good LJ: The charge of the Roherrim at Helm's Deep soared! Its a movie for the ages!

Evil LJ: Faramir was way off! You can't like what they did to Faramir!

Good LJ: Peter Jackson loves us! The master would never hurt us!

Evil LJ: Frodo offering the ring to the wraith?! OFFERING it to him?!

Good LJ: GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK!

Archived