Home

What do you call Pepsi?

Boba Rhett

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by greedo626

here in Pennsyllvania, normal people call it soda. or if they want a pepsi they call it "pepsi." pop is the word the used in the 50s. it's not normal to use the word anymore when refering to soda... unless you're 75, then people will know what you're talking about. if you walk into a store today and ask where the "pop" is, no one will know what you're talking about... unless you're 75... ;)

Maybe in PENNSYLLVANIA they won't know what you're talking about, but here in COLORADO we're apparently more intelligent. You can walk into a store and ask for "pop", "soda", "soda-pop", "pepsi", "coke", or ANY other term used for such beverages and they'll point you in the right direction. Though MOST people say pop

This is of course if you're being general, "can I grab a pop from the fridge?"

If you actually want a pepsi, you say pepsi.....

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Maybe in PENNSYLLVANIA they won't know what you're talking about, but here in COLORADO we're apparently more intelligent. You can walk into a store and ask for "pop", "soda", "soda-pop", "pepsi", "coke", or ANY other term used for such beverages and they'll point you in the right direction. Though MOST people say pop

This is of course if you're being general, "can I grab a pop from the fridge?"

If you actually want a pepsi, you say pepsi.....

well, in south east PA, we're just this side of redneck (we share a border with Virginia and West Virginia:p ). I don't want to be coming down on the people here, but most of them don't even speak english. It's either Spanish or Redneck:evanpiel: :p

I'm sure some people around here call it "pop," but most people call it "soda" (in English), "soda" (in Spanish), and "some o' dat fizzy stuffs" (in Redneck)

Here in the U.K., some people call it pop, but they tend to be of the older generation :p I get the impression it could be a Northern England thing too, as I live 'dahn saaf' now and people just laugh when I say it. Although I only say it mucking about. They do know what I mean anyway.

When I was little* me and my mates all used to call it pop, but that went as far as 'cordials' too. Just any soft drinks really. As we got older we started calling it by particular brand names, but I don't know if kids in Newcastle still call it pop or not. I do hope so though.

*I'm only 30 now. (only! :p )

Anyway, LONG LIVE POP!

EDIT: On a related note, any of you Brits (or non-brits for that matter) familiar with stand-up Peter Kay's 'why do mums buy crap pop?' routine? Class! :p

B.

Must have been before my time :p:D

Although I can imagine how it might have gone... :D

Posted by C'jais

In Denmark: Sodavand, or just vand.

When speaking the englisch, I call it soda. Pop sounds... wrong...

Wacky, if I said to you that I wanted a pepsi, could I say "Fetch me a "soft drink", instead? It sounds so very odd to me.

Well, we don't usually refer to individual carbonated drinks as anything other than their names, unless we say "coke" and mean Pepsi/Dr Pepper/Coke/Cherry Coke etc., sort of like SkinWalker... "Soft drink" is just a classifying term for most [but not necessarily all] non-alcoholic beverages.... I suppose I need to be clearer next time :D

We generally don't feel the need to use the terms "soda" or "pop" - we're happy calling things by their rightful names, and avoiding confusion :p

And that concludes today's English lesson, class. :p:D

Oh, and computer games refer to them as "soda" (Halflife did anyway, I think).

And I still have no damn clue what this Doctor drink is, or what cherry and vanilla coke tastes like.

Me, I'm usually a Sprite or Fanta Exotic kinda guy.

Us in the Northeast here (Massachusetts) call it soda.

But if I'm getting a Pepsi, I say "I'll have Pepsi."

:D

Being a citizen of Georgia my entire life, I feel I am the only one on these forums that has the right to make the decision for what the southerners call Pepsi.

Get this - we call it Pepsi.

SURPRISE SURPRISE, ANDY!

wallys_McCoy%20barn.JPG

Originally posted by ckcsaber

Bringer of Life

You know, if you cut one of my veins open right now, Pepsi would squirt out. It would! Diet Pepsi namely. I have drank diet Pepsi most of my life. Regular Pepsi gives me a stomach ache, but Pepsi-One is the BOMB, but not always featured in all vending machines, and restaurants.

Originally posted by SkinWalker

If you were going to get ANYthing to drink from the store, drink machine, etc., it was a coke. Even if you bought a Dr. Pepper.

Or, "You going to the store? Pick me up a coke, will ya?" "Sure, what kind?" "Dr. Pepper... if they don't have that... Sprite. But if they don't have that, then get me a Coke." (note the capitalization)

It was strange, but you got used to it. If you said "Pop" you were a Yankee. :p

BTW, that small town was in North Texas oilfield country....

Maybe that's a Texas thing. I am also originally from there and we called everything a coke too. ALL carbonated beverages are coke, just different varieties. Me, I hate cokes in general, though Root Beer is pretty good.

In Iowa (or IowaAAAAY as some people like to call it), we call it "pop."

Cream soda is still cream soda, and sometimes you see "soda water" (the unflavored stuff) but that's pretty much it.

I hear in Georgia they call it "coke" (even if its pepsi). Like "pepsi coke, mountain dew coke" or just "coke."*

In Kentucky they call linoleum (sic) a "rug."

In Toronto they call it a "bathroom" (which is what we call it at home, but in public we call them "restrooms") and they call the US (which we call "America") "the States."

Local slang can be fun. ; )

* after reading the comments above, I'll have you know this is from a relative who lived briefly in Atlanta, so it may not be the same everywhere.

Archived