Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Fred, I wanted to ask you, "and I'm not sure if this has already been talked about in this thread" but would you be interested in designing a "Kotor II Tool" (Xbox Addition) ?"

It would be the same as the PC version only that the Chitin.key is a little different, and some of the folders are different.

It's really easy to use Kotor Tool to mod the xbox by installing Kotor(PC) on computer and then "FTPing" the modded PC files over to the xbox. But some of us don't have the graphic and process power to play kotor on PC, and so to have to buy Kotor twice both PC and XBOX is getting a little too high in price.

And so I just thought it would be easier to have a "Kotor II Tool" that's designed to read the Xbox Structure -->since we already backed up the whole xbox game on "Windows XP" for modding anyways. KT can't fully read Xbox structure all that well. "I'd say about 70% is all is only fuctional"

If you are interested, I could burn all the xbox files and folders on a few CDrs and send it your way so you can see the xbox folder and file structure for KotorII. ---> Actually, it would be k0ol if you made "K2 tool" be compatible to both the PC and XBOX Key and file structures. "One program reads both"

Just wanted to ask..

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

The module editor is the most complex pieces of the entire Kotor Tool set of functions. As such, it evolves slowly.

I have a new set of maps coming out (see prior posts), but each one takes quite a bit of time to do.

You see, for each map, I have to:

(a) Export all of the models that make up that module

(b) Import them into Max

© Assemble them into one model, as they're broken up into 10-30 pieces and it isn't always obvious what goes where.

(d) Fix any alpha channel diffuse/opacity texture issues

(e) Render it (twice, once for each of the two sizes)

(f) Crop it in Photoshop (twice)

(g) Determine the calibration factors in Kotor Tool so that the data points match up with the correct places on the map (twice)

This whole process means I can do about one map in about 2-3 hours, assuming no weird model/texture problems.

Given that there about 96 modules, not including the cut scenes, you can see the enormous amount of effort it would take to do all of the maps. So for now, you'l just have to settle for those that trickle out as I have time.

Ouch...

You know, if you took the time to write up a tutorial on how to do it, I'm sure plenty of people would volunteer to do a few maps to help out, although I can't say for sure, so it'd be best to see if anyone was interested first before taking the time to write a guide, heh.

I couldn't do it myself since I can't work Max for the life of me, plus I don't have Photoshop... ^^;

Just an idea though. Keep up the awesome work Fred.

-Shimaon

Hey Fred I know this has been asked of you before but I figured I would re-request it especially with the changes and additions in KOTOR2. Would it be possible to change the gff editor so that it does not rely on the coresponding entries in a 2da file or as an option if it is outside the bounds of the original that it opens a second field that is user definable. I figured if you were going to make any major changes to the Tool with KOTOR2 coming out this might help with avoiding to much extra data entry and coding.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to take a moment here to thank ChaiNz.2da for his very generous donation to the Kotor Tool effort. It even included a humorous greeting card!

I know many folks appreciate my work on Kotor Tool and have written me several nice emails to that effect. When someone goes that "extra mile" and shows their appreciation as ChaiNz.2da has, (all of you who've done this know who you are, heh heh), it really gives me a good feeling and I just have to say a public "Thank you" right back.

Fred

I would like to take a moment here to thank ChaiNz.2da for his very generous donation to the Kotor Tool effort. It even included a humorous greeting card!

I know many folks appreciate my work on Kotor Tool and have written me several nice emails to that effect. When someone goes that "extra mile" and shows their appreciation as ChaiNz.2da has, (all of you who've done this know who you are, heh heh), it really gives me a good feeling and I just have to say a public "Thank you" right back.

Fred

I've said it before and I'll say it again,

Without your hard work and dedication to Holowan, our efforts would be tenfold harder. What you've done has enabled people like me to do something I never would have thought possible.

"I'm modding a game"...wow...sometimes I can't believe it. I know it may not seem like much, but when you think of "the big picture" we're modding something that has been professionally designed for the mass commercial public. Much of which, in my opinion, is better than the original...wow again...

Fred, I just wanted to show my thanks and let you know that you are an important part of the Holowan Community. You as well as your work deserves to be recognized for how important it is, and to be appreciated. You've more than earned my respect, and I'm happy & proud to call you a friend. No need to thank me... it's me who would like to Thank You :)

Your work is valuable and your efforts don't go unnoticed, I just wanted to reinforce that fact... :)

ChAiNz.2da

New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

1.0.1863.39252 (2005-02-06)

Thanks Fred :) This is great.

• Added maps [...] m10ab[...]

:eyeraise: tk102...you could have been born one week later...you have no idea how much pain this would have saved me :headbump (j/k) :D

I may still rework this area to convert the quest into another mission

1.0.1863.39252 (2005-02-06)

Features/updates:

• Added maps for m02ac, m10aa, m10ab, m10ac and m11aa

As I recall, adding maps was very time consuming and quite a task (or all out pain in the bum rather), and here you've added an additional 5!! :eek:

So that's where you've been hiding ...err.. been working on ;) Looks great Fred! I'll have to take a peek at these when I get home :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Darth333

Thanks Fred :) This is great.

:eyeraise: tk102...you could have been born one week later...you have no idea how much pain this would have saved me :headbump (j/k) :D

I may still rework this area to convert the quest into another mission

If I had know you were working on something special, I could have gotten you a few of the maps ahead of time, before the 'pack' was done! Darn...

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

As I recall, adding maps was very time consuming and quite a task (or all out pain in the bum rather), and here you've added an additional 5!! :eek:

So that's where you've been hiding ...err.. been working on ;) Looks great Fred! I'll have to take a peek at these when I get home :thumbsup:

Actually, from about US Thanksgiving holiday until now, I have been busy with lots of family activities and have been too tired out in the evening to do some coding. (Although I did write a program that solves Mummy Mazes [See here] by analyzing a screenshot of the game, Weird, huh? If anyone is interested, I'll post it on the website...)

Time to get things going again, what with TSL around the corner!

Ok, I've been thinking about how to integrate the Project Manager function and the ERF Builder. The PM function uses the ERF builder behind the scenes to generate the .MOD file(s) in a project.

Would anyone prefer to have it so that you could set the type of output file each 'module' generates? For example, when you add a new Module to the project, you could set the type to .MOD or .ERF, etc. You could also change it via a Module Properties screen after the fact.

The only problem I have with it is from a philisophical point of view. The heading is called Modules, though not all of the files produced would be .MOD files in type. Yes, I know this is being really fussy, but that's how I am. :) Any ideas? Maybe change the name to Archives or Packages, since this is what they are?

Let me know folks....

Concerning the Kotor Tool and KotorII:TSL

When I push the button for editing the inventory of an .utp file I get an unhandled exception saying:

"Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Paramater name:index."

I get this for all .upt files both those that are already in the game and those I have made myself.

I know TSL isnt released yet for pc but thought I would let know....

Ok, I've been thinking about how to integrate the Project Manager function and the ERF Builder. The PM function uses the ERF builder behind the scenes to generate the .MOD file(s) in a project.

Would anyone prefer to have it so that you could set the type of output file each 'module' generates? For example, when you add a new Module to the project, you could set the type to .MOD or .ERF, etc. You could also change it via a Module Properties screen after the fact.

The only problem I have with it is from a philisophical point of view. The heading is called Modules, though not all of the files produced would be .MOD files in type. Yes, I know this is being really fussy, but that's how I am. :) Any ideas? Maybe change the name to Archives or Packages, since this is what they are?

Let me know folks....

I think it's a great idea Fred, and I would vote for "Packages". Hopefully I'll be delving into a deeper modding mindset after TSL, so this would definitely help people like me who are going to be getting their feet wet for the first time. Though since I'm not a veteran in the matter, better input could probably be given as to if this would be 'practical'... :D

Ha ha! Many good suggestions for a tool name, but I was really looking for what I should call the tree node and folder where modules in the Project Manager are currently placed after packaging.

Since the current implementation only makes .MOD-style files, I called it 'Modules'. The version I am working on now will let you set the type of output file for each 'package' of files; .MOD, .ERF, usw.

I have decided to use 'packages' for now. Watch for a new version of Kotor Tool soon. Unless I get K2:TSL :D

Ha ha! Many good suggestions for a tool name, but I was really looking for what I should call the tree node and folder where modules in the Project Manager are currently placed after packaging.
Ha ha! Remember guys, you're talking to Fred Tetra the Integrator here, not tk102 the single-minded.

Fred if you find anything very strange about the structure of TSL vs. KotOR and have to make significant accommodations with KT, send me a PM. I'll do the same for you. Hopefully we can get all our tools in working order for TSL in a jiffy.

Originally posted by tk102

Ha ha! Remember guys, you're talking to Fred Tetra the Integrator here, not tk102 the single-minded.

Fred if you find anything very strange about the structure of TSL vs. KotOR and have to make significant accommodations with KT, send me a PM. I'll do the same for you. Hopefully we can get all our tools in working order for TSL in a jiffy.

Sure enough!

As soon as I can get a copy ;)

Archived