Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

Kotor Tool hat eine lange Zeit gedauert zu bilden. Einige Teile waren schwierig und andere waren einfach aber langwierig. Ich habe auf ihm ungefähr 810 Stunden lang gearbeitet. Ja arbeite ich als professionelle Software Engineer. Es tut mir leid, daß mein Deutsch jetzt so schlecht ist. Ich habe sehr viel vergessen. :)

Kotor Tool has taken a long time to build. Some parts have been difficult and others easier but tedious. I have worked on it for about 810 hours now. I am employed as a professional software engineer. I am sorry that my German is so poor. I have forgotten much. :)

Dein Deutsch ist großartig!! Ich bin beeindruckt! Ich bin verwundert, das du so eine schwierige Sprache kannst! Nicht viele Menschen lernen Deutsch, weil so schwer ist!

Das du als professioneller Software Engineer arbeitest, habe ich mir schon gedacht. Es wäre ein echtes Wunder wenn jemand, der nicht in der Softwareentwicklung ist so toll programmieren kann!

Translation:

Your German is great!

I wonder that you can speak this difficult language! Not many people learn German because it is so difficult.

I already thought that you work as a professional software engineer. It would be a really miracle if someone who is not in the software developing could so great programing like you!

I'm sure you will make from time to time greater work than you already do!

Joris

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's more than a casual project anymore, indeed! I'll keep developing it as long as people need new features or I find things that I can improve.

Also, thanks to the person (who requested anonymity - you know who you are) for the donation; it'll really help out and your kindness is appreciated.

A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.2099.38708 (2005-9-30 23:06)

Features/updates:

A new record - 21 new things in 2 weeks!

• Added Min1HP field support to Creature editor
  • Kotor Tool can now remember complete state of treeview in addition to last opened node.
  • Added Module Properties editor to Module Editor
  • Module Editor window location and size now persisted
  • Module Editor now shows module entry point and orientation
  • Module Editor no longer repositions items when clicked without mouse movement
  • Encounters are now indicated correctly when selected from the treeview in the Module Editor (though still not editable)
  • Module Editor can now show/hide items by type (Creature, Sound, etc.)
  • Spawn Points for Encounters are now displayed (but not editable...yet)
  • Module Editor can now change between map sizes without a re-launch
  • Module elements treeview in Module Editor no longer closes when items are deleted or added
  • Module Editor can now produce text dumps of the GIT/ARE/IFO files for a module (though changes to files due to editing are not reflected yet)
  • Module Editor can now show labels for items
  • Improved Module Editor project opening speed
  • When an ERF resource item is selected in the main treeview, the Extract button now says "Extract file" instead of "Extract entire ERF file"
  • Camera angles (roll, pitch, and yaw) can now be set using degrees instead of having to do Quaternion calculations by hand
  • Module Properties editor can now be invoked by a right-click on the map image
  • Module Starting Point can now be set by a right-click on the map image
  • Cameras can now be added to modules by a right-click on the map image
  • Context menus on module treeview and map image no longer show "Edit GFF File" for cameras
  • Creature Editor now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in

Great Additions here Fred :thumbsup:

You know your "small" modding program is very quickly turning into a full blown feature packed program which if kept going in the route it's going will soon rival most games INCLUDED Campaign Editors and the like. :D

The features you've added on from your list up there are great man just wonderful. :D

I do have one quick question though. Any plans to have the ability to have a "tool pallette" of sorts that would let you place "merchants" then be able to use pull downs or the like to choose what they look like (basic), what inventories they have be it health items, weapons, armor, etc. ? :D

I was also wondering if you've any slated ideas on a WYSIWYG type interface for a dialogue editor? Saying you place a merchant but you need to assign his dialogue; would you be able to utilize KOTORtool for that in the future as well?

Again super to see the program additions and I've slated tomorrow for myself to experiment with all of the new features and plans to begin a new location for Holowan downloaders based on some ideas I've had over the months. Can't wait to try out all of the KEWL things you've opened up for us to do. :D

:ben:

General Kenobi

Awesone work Fred! I'll give it a try this weekend :) This new camera angles feature looks pretty cool. I've been working on a long cutscene with camera angles and it was a nightmare to get things right :headbump

I've always hated having to calculate the quaternion for a given camera angle. Too much math to do even with a TI 86 calculator! :)

I do have to come up with some docs for how to set the angle, since the behavior can be different than some might expect. Most people will want to set just the pitch and yaw values, leaving roll alone. The values are in degrees, BTW. I forgot to put the label on the values :)

Camera's pitch values range from 0 degrees (pointing at the ground) to >90 degrees (above the horizon. Most times, with an overhead shot, you'll want values from 45-90 degrees. You [/i]can[/i] set it to <0 degrees which will flip the camra upside down. Not too useful, but it is funny looking.

The yaw value sets the rotation or "bearing" of the camera. You can set it from -180 to +180 degrees with 0 degrees pointing north.

Also, if you're modifying an existing camera, you'll get a little warning about needing to set the initial values. This is because it is rather difficult to translate from a quaternion to a set of Euler angles, so I don't do it. (Despite having logged >20 hours on the equations! heh heh) Just set them to what you want and there'll be no problems.

Hope that helps a bit!

Great Additions here Fred :thumbsup:

You know your "small" modding program is very quickly turning into a full blown feature packed program which if kept going in the route it's going will soon rival most games INCLUDED Campaign Editors and the like. :D

The features you've added on from your list up there are great man just wonderful. :D

It is getting pretty big for something that started out as a BIF extractor and 2da editor! :)

I do have one quick question though. Any plans to have the ability to have a "tool pallette" of sorts that would let you place "merchants" then be able to use pull downs or the like to choose what they look like (basic), what inventories they have be it health items, weapons, armor, etc. ? :D

Unfortunately, there aren't any templates for merchants in templates.bif to populate the auto-built palette in the module editor, so there are none to pick from. If you've created one with the merchant editor (UTM) by opening an existing one from another module, then saving it, you can put it in the userpallete folder within your module project folder and it will show up in the editor. You can then drag it out onto the map surface.

I was also wondering if you've any slated ideas on a WYSIWYG type interface for a dialogue editor? Saying you place a merchant but you need to assign his dialogue; would you be able to utilize KOTORtool for that in the future as well?

There already is one, but it doesn't work with the extra fields supported by KotOR II. I have found that I can create KotOR I dialogs and use them without trouble in KotOR II; I just can't use the advanced features. This will have to do until I update the dialog editor (if ever - I hate working on it! heh heh)

Again super to see the program additions and I've slated tomorrow for myself to experiment with all of the new features and plans to begin a new location for Holowan downloaders based on some ideas I've had over the months. Can't wait to try out all of the KEWL things you've opened up for us to do. :D

:ben:

General Kenobi

Good luck!

Hey, somebody rated this thread recently!

hehe, i am guilty of that... :D

@ Fred T. can i give you an idea for the 2da editor copy and paste (context menu) options? maybe put an option in there that allows you to 'paste after row' option...

when i try and paste a copied row at the end of the list, it places the newly copied row second from the last instead of at the very end... just a thought... :)

If you've edited the .git, .are and/or .ifo files manually and put a number out of range, the MP editor will have trouble. If you email me the three files, as well as a dump of the error message, I'll take a look at it. Address is in the readme file.

[EDIT] I found a bug in the code that might be the cause of this error. If the .are file's Grass_Quadsize is 0, set it to 0.1-1.5 and see if the MP editor will open for you.

A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

v1.0.2102.26188 (2005-10-3 17:45)

Features/updates:

• Fixed bug in module properties editor that prevented it from opening when Grass_QuadSize was 0
  • Added support for 904MAL map

New 904MAL map should be available in a few days at sites listed in the readme.txt file.

A new version of Kotor Tool MapInfo.bfd will be posted today.

v1.2005.1004.1

Features/updates:

• Added support for 502ONDmap - map models assembled by Gsccc
  • Added support for 904MAL map

Nice naming convention Fred... I can understand this one ;):D hehehe...

I'll be sure to post it on my site when it's ready :D

You should have rec'd the files today.

Ther version number on the MapInfo file is manual, so I can control it, unlike the autogenerated one on Kotor Tool. )

You should have rec'd the files today.

Ther version number on the MapInfo file is manual, so I can control it, unlike the autogenerated one on Kotor Tool. )

Sorry for the delay Fred... RL work has entered "Holiday" mode and I've been up to my ears in promos... :rolleyes:

The new maps and mapinfo stuff are uploaded to both my site and SWK :D

New Maps:

map502ond - Onderon: Merchant Quarter -

map904mal - Malachor V: Trayus Core -

You can get them here (StarWarsKnights):

http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php

or here (JumpStationZ, my site):

http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps/

Archived