Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

Sorry for the delay Fred... RL work has entered "Holiday" mode and I've been up to my ears in promos... :rolleyes:

The new maps and mapinfo stuff are uploaded to both my site and SWK :D

New Maps:

map502ond - Onderon: Merchant Quarter -

map904mal - Malachor V: Trayus Core -

You can get them here (StarWarsKnights):

http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php

or here (JumpStationZ, my site):

http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps/

Thanks, as always!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy Hell Fred! KotOR Tool is going to be a mega-beast module maker :emodanc:

I didn't realize you were diving into the sound portion... sweet...

Looks outstanding! :D

Well, I wanted to be able to support all of the UT* types that are found in a module to make the editor as complete as possible.

I still have to develop an Encounter editor (UTE), but that should be no worse a task.

Here's the list of feature changes coming in Kotor Tool (so far):

• Door fields are now editiable in Module Editor
  • Fixed bug in module editor that cause Kotor Tool to crash when Properties menu was chosen for a trigger from palette
  • Module Editor no longer gives an error when closed before a module project was opened
  • Module Editor can now show item Tags as well as ResRefs in the palette and on the map surface
  • Trigger editor (UTT) now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in
  • Trigger editor now has a drop-down menu for Type (Generic/Transition/Trap)
  • Door editor (UTD) now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in
  • Sun and Fog range controls in Module Properties editor now more compatible with KotOR I
  • 2DA Editor no longer crashes when "Show Strings for Refs" is done on column that contains -1's
  • Added Waypoint (UTW) Editor
  • Added Waypoint editing support to Module Editor
  • Added item position tweaking to Module Editor
  • Encounters can now be repositioned and reshaped in the Module Editor
  • Encounter properties can now be accessed by right-click on one of its nodes
  • Encounter Spawn Points can now be repositioned using the mouse
  • Encounter Spawn Points can now be added and deleted from the map surface
  • Module Entry point can now be repositioned using the mouse
  • Added Quick menu to Text Editor to make finding sections of .GIT GFF files easier
  • Fixed a text padding issue with the GFF file non-RTF text dump
  • Added Sound (UTS) editor
  • Added Sound editing support to Module editor

I want to add a full scripting editor too, complete with Intellisense-like function parameter completion, syntax highlighting and more, but the .NET control would take a loooong time to develop and the commercial version of the control that supports this costs about US$300.

(Take a look here: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/DotNet/SyntaxEditor/Default.aspx if you're interested.)

Maybe if the donations resume, I'll put the $$ towards this, since I think it'd be a great addition and would be cheaper that users having to obtain something like TextPad or UltraEdit.

I want to add a full scripting editor too, complete with Intellisense-like function parameter completion, syntax highlighting and more, but the .NET control would take a loooong time to develop and the commercial version of the control that supports this costs about US$300.

(Take a look here: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/DotNet/SyntaxEditor/Default.aspx if you're interested.)

Maybe if the donations resume, I'll put the $$ towards this, since I think it'd be a great addition and would be cheaper that users having to obtain something like TextPad or UltraEdit.

Something to this effect is what I've been slowly working on myself with the .NET framework Fred. If you want once I finish the Alpha I could send it your way for you to take a look at and see if you can integrate it. I'm writing it in C++ though so I might have to store it mostly in a dll. My biggest hangup is staying focused with everything going on around my place lately(Between 2 1/2 jobs and house building contractors :eek: )

I think I may have found a bug in KT. Recently, I had to re-install NWN Platinum, and now some *.2da files are showing up under TSL's 2da.bif tree. For instance some of the race files from NWN are in 2da.bif, for instance 'race_feat_elf.2da' is listed...

Having finally gotten my Euler angles to Quaternion function working, I can now produce various camera shots, some that are pretty strange.

I could send you an include file that I'm using for a game engine I'm working on that does that, although it's in C++, so there may be compatability issues... You might also try a cool program called 'Algebrus', it calculates quaternion rotations automatically for you, to and from Euler, it's saved me a ton of time from doing them :)

I think I may have found a bug in KT. Recently, I had to re-install NWN Platinum, and now some *.2da files are showing up under TSL's 2da.bif tree. For instance some of the race files from NWN are in 2da.bif, for instance 'race_feat_elf.2da' is listed...

That would be very strange, if it were really happening :)

What you're seeing are 2DA's that shouldn't have been included during the build of the BIFs when Obsidian put them together. If you look in the KotOR I files, you'll find various vestigial things there, too.

I have discovered a very strange bug that's kinda difficult to explain, so i'll just tell you what you should do to test it yourself:

- Open the n_darthtraya001.utc (904MAL) with KT and save it;

- start the game and use the warp cheat (or load savegame) to jump to 904MAL;

- defeat Darth Traya.

Here's where the bug happens. After you defeat Traya she dies, but that should't happen... what should happen is the cutscene, in which Traya spawns the three lightsabers. (Note that sometimes the cutscene will trigger, even if you save it with the new KT. That's why i suggest that you lower Traya's stats, so that you can defeat her in a few seconds.)

Now, i'm almost 100% sure there's something's wrong with the new UTC editor in KT, because when i save the file with the previus version of KT (or with GFF editor) the bug never happens.

I have discovered a very strange bug that's kinda difficult to explain, so i'll just tell you what you should do to test it yourself:

- Open the n_darthtraya001.utc (904MAL) with KT and save it;

- start the game and use the warp cheat (or load savegame) to jump to 904MAL;

- defeat Darth Traya.

Here's where the bug happens. After you defeat Traya she dies, but that should't happen... what should happen is the cutscene, in which Traya spawns the three lightsabers. (Note that sometimes the cutscene will trigger, even if you save it with the new KT. That's why i suggest that you lower Traya's stats, so that you can defeat her in a few seconds.)

Now, i'm almost 100% sure there's something's wrong with the new UTC editor in KT, because when i save the file with the previus version of KT (or with GFF editor) the bug never happens.

The reason this happens is that there was a bug in the reading of the value for the Min1HP field. It has been fixed for the next release of Kotor Tool.

If you reset the Min1HP field to '1', you can't kill her.

K2 has many more leftover files than K1. I suspect that is because the BioWare folks, having developed the game engine, knew what was safe to remove. The Obsidian team, either because they didn't know what was safe to remove, or more likely, given the quantity of unfinished material in the game (probably due to a unrealisticly time-framed project plan put together by non-programmers!) were simply too rushed to eliminate extra files that wouldn't hurt anything if left in.

Since I myself have had similar project schedules in the past, I can see how case #2 for Obsidian could be possible.

<soapbox>

While I know a lot of folks gripe about the missing or unfinished content, I don't think many of them actually know what it is like to be given a short time frame and a long list of features for a product espcially when you're not the original creator. It is quite tough to get up-to-speed with an unfamiliar development environment and become productive. I really feel for game programmers, (knowing a few as I do), as they have some pretty miserable conditions to work under.</soapbox>

<soapbox>

While I know a lot of folks gripe about the missing or unfinished content, I don't think many of them actually know what it is like to be given a short time frame and a long list of features for a product espcially when you're not the original creator. It is quite tough to get up-to-speed with an unfamiliar development environment and become productive. I really feel for game programmers, (knowing a few as I do), as they have some pretty miserable conditions to work under.</soapbox>

HHMMM *Begins to think own personal goal may not be worth it if the conditions are really that bad. ;)*

HHMMM *Begins to think own personal goal may not be worth it if the conditions are really that bad. ;)*

I have a long time friend who works for Electronic Arts; when I saw this article:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/274.html

I thought of what I saw when I visited him at the office one night (yes, night, around 11:00 pm, with plenty of people working).

I don't know that it is any different at Obsidian Entertainment, but it isn't unheard of in the industry.

Boy now that sure hits home for EA and gaming developers in general I'd bet. :rolleyes:

And we wonder why stuff got left in that wasn't used or things got left out???

90 hrs a week = Total exhaustion

Those dudes & dudettes I feel sorry for. I work in the computer industry as well but in a totally different aspect and I am free of that type of thing. Only because I do work as a Remote Designer in most cases. :D

That would be a crappy schedule to keep.

:ben:

General Kenobi

Here's some more screenshots from the new sound (UTS) editor in Kotor Tool:

Note the new buttons below Add and Remove? YES! Sound playback has been solved in Kotor Tool. I finally took the time to analyze the sound files and now I can play them. It even shows you the current running time and total length.

sound_basic2.gif

Here's a shot of the new Sound Selector the editor uses. Much better that a standard File Open dialog box, don't you think? you can even filter the sounds by name and type.

soundselector.gif

Also, there's a new link to a page on the Kotor Tool site that shows what the next version will contain here

Fred the sound implementation is WONDERFUL :D I made a module and had no sound :D...lol

All kidding aside though Fred I read through your new page over at the link local on your site and MAN do you have some great includes coming up :D

Good ole' KOTORtool is morphing and growing into a full on game editing program rivaling the ones that ship from manufacturers with games on occasion! The features your planning on adding are simply wonderful Fred and let me say from all of us: "We appreciate you soooo much for all of your hard development work!"

I already see the future potential to say "redo" the Onderon Merchant Sector to have plenty of merchants and the like as well as most all of the others in time.

You Rule Fred :thumbsup:

General Kenobi

Fred the sound implementation is WONDERFUL :D I made a module and had no sound :D...lol

All kidding aside though Fred I read through your new page over at the link local on your site and MAN do you have some great includes coming up :D

Good ole' KOTORtool is morphing and growing into a full on game editing program rivaling the ones that ship from manufacturers with games on occasion! The features your planning on adding are simply wonderful Fred and let me say from all of us: "We appreciate you soooo much for all of your hard development work!"

I already see the future potential to say "redo" the Onderon Merchant Sector to have plenty of merchants and the like as well as most all of the others in time.

You Rule Fred :thumbsup:

General Kenobi

I'm hoping the new feature set will inspire plenty of fun-to-play modules and perhaps a few donations!

Archived