Home

Slap Your Headphones On and Listen to This!

Boba Rhett

This is an amazing binaural recording. Instructions are as follows.

1. Put on your headphones.

2. Hit Play.

3. And most importantly, CLOSE YOUR EYES. It's totally makes it better. Listen to the guy walk around you.

Clicky Here

It sent chills up my spine. It's so great. :D Here's a link to some other binaural recordings. I still think the one up top is the best though.

Binaural recordings are made with a couple of REALLY high-quality mics embedded in the ear canals of a life-size foam rubber copy of a human head. It's the closest thing to a real "being there" experience that you can get with a recording. It's true stereo, like what you hear with your own ears in nature, rather than what most of us are used to hearing out of our speakers.

However, to actually get the full effect, you have to wear headphones like Rhett said. The playback speakers have to be as close to the position that the recording mics were in (where your eardrums are) for the spacial image to remain intact.

Binaural FAQ

Originally posted by Herminator_64

holy sh*t!!:eek:

how do they do that?

The way I understand it*, it's do do with when the sound hits your ears. You only have two ears, right? They're not all the way around your head, so how can you tell where a noise is coming from? It's the sound hitting each ear micro-seconds apart (maybe even nano-seconds?) that creates the sensation (or in this case, illusion) of position.

I believe some musician (Jean-Michel Jarre maybe?) experimented with it a few years back calling it Q-Sound or something, but it basically came to nothing. Recording it isn't the problem, but your playback equipment has to be absolutely precise to handle it properly.

Well, now the technology's caught up, so what's keeping 'em?

B.

* Don't shoot me if I'm wrong

EDIT: OMG! How relaxing is this one? I wanted to doze off after 30 seconds!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have a cassete that is a rainstorm... I feel asleep listening to it.

Archived