1. 1. Best WWII FPS?

• Medal of honour
    • Call of duty
    • Battlefield 1942
    • Hidden & Dangerous II
    • other (Please specify)

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Call of Duty owns all WWII GAMES!!!!!!

Good graphics, intense gameplay, multiplayer is like a million better than MOH and CS.

And its one of my most favourite games in 2003!

HERE HERE!! Call of duty absolutely owns MOH and others!! Definately my favourite fps WWII game. The graphics, intensity/atmosphere, storyline and realism is just superb!

The most fun I've had playing a WWII game so far has been Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory in Campaign mode on a server with 60 players. I wasn't very impressed with MOH MP, but the SP was fine. Too short, though. I have yet to buy COD, although I played the SP demo, which was very good, albeit quite linear.

As for the ethics of playing games based in this period, I don't see a problem. For one thing, veterans often act as advisors during development of these titles to ensure the 'realism' factor is there. One thing is certain - no one anywhere can ever truly know what it was like on those battlefields unless they experienced it first hand. The same is true of modern conflicts. However, if a game can impart some sense of the brutal horror of conflict in a realistic yet sympathetic way that does not simply advertise 'violence as fun', then in some small way games of this nature can open up a window on the past for current generations.

One thing that cannot be disputed - these games and recent movies have managed to keep the sacrifices made in WWII prevalent in our minds and hearts. If games like these can reach the current generation and help them to obtain a clearer understanding of conflict of this nature, then it is serving a purpose.

Originally posted by StormHammer

The most fun I've had playing a WWII game so far has been Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory in Campaign mode on a server with 60 players. I wasn't very impressed with MOH MP, but the SP was fine. Too short, though. I have yet to buy COD, although I played the SP demo, which was very good, albeit quite linear.

As for the ethics of playing games based in this period, I don't see a problem. For one thing, veterans often act as advisors during development of these titles to ensure the 'realism' factor is there. One thing is certain - no one anywhere can ever truly know what it was like on those battlefields unless they experienced it first hand. The same is true of modern conflicts. However, if a game can impart some sense of the brutal horror of conflict in a realistic yet sympathetic way that does not simply advertise 'violence as fun', then in some small way games of this nature can open up a window on the past for current generations.

One thing that cannot be disputed - these games and recent movies have managed to keep the sacrifices made in WWII prevalent in our minds and hearts. If games like these can reach the current generation and help them to obtain a clearer understanding of conflict of this nature, then it is serving a purpose.

Great Post Stormie. Nice to see you hear. I do miss your posts,(Andy and even Kurgan too)always very well thought out. Here most of the mods and admins are just strange *points and Obi, Rhett, Groovy* Only jed and lexxy seem most able to keep this place from degenerating into a cacophony of craziness.... :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by leXX

I've only played COD.

My dad was in WWII, and I grew up hearing all the stories. He has a million WWII books, and a million more WWII videos, and I sat through them all, with a running commentary of all the continuity errors etc. I have a very very deep respect for all those that fought and gave up their lives in WWII.

I don't feel playing a WWII game in any way disrespects it. A lot of people will get nothing out of it other than the thrill of killing a Nazi, but a lot more will gain a respect for what it must of been like to fight in that war and live every second in fear, and that can only be a good thing.

I wasn't interested in playin a WWII game, but I do like to experience all types of games, so decided to download the COD demo, and consequently purchase it. I was amazed at it's realism, and it has only served to enhance my respect for the veterens and those who gave their lives for their country.

There is also a discussion going on in the GameSpy forums as to whether it is appropriate to have a game based on Vietnam out so close to the conflict. I can only repeat what I've said above. Maybe it will give people more of an understanding of what it must be like to fight in a war.

Yeah, it must be very scary knowing someone is out there to kill you (in the real life) I'm thinking of joining the army later on.

But I'm going to COD very soon, I love that game

Originally posted by XERXES

Wolfenstein 3D, how can that NOT be on this poll...

IMO Wolfenstein 3D was complete and udder crap...I would rather play the original 2D fps over that festering hunk of dog **** anyday given day

I mean the game was fubar :mad:

.....oh and I voted for CoD woo! yay!

Being Vietnamese(southern at that) there's a kid at my school who keeps yelling racial slurs like VC Charlie and crap like that.

I like WWII. It brought me a good respect of veterans(and my father also). My father participated in the Vietnam War(South Vietnam). Playing Battlefield 1942 brings a lot of stuff back for him so thats why I only play at my friends house.

Still, Battlefield 1942 is teh coolest. Awaiting Battlefield Vietnam.

Call of Duty, 'course! I love getting pulverized by Nazis cause my own stupid British companions won't freakin shoot at the enemy, thinking "Oh yeah, he can handle the enemy aircraft AND take out the guys on the roof at the same time" and watching me die OVER AND OVER EVERY *$(@(!~(!(!((! TIME!!!!Oneoneoneone111111!!!!!

I still like the game, of course. :p That was just my general mood through the game..so many darn reloads. Multiplayer rocks though, it's really simple in design yet is still diverse.

Lets see;

Medal of honour/Call of duty

Basically the same game.

BEL Mode which is the only thing this game has which is even remotely original, is crap.

Weapon balance, ..........is non-existant.

Overall the game is "ok" but, really, just the kind of "Jurassic Park 3" Mediocre that makes you want to stick your finger, through your eye into your brain and swirl it around.

Battlefield 1942 - Great game, pretty well balanced (apart from the fact that some mods mess up the tickets), encourages teamplay in a more obvious manour.

Hidden & Dangerous II - This is even listed WHY?

How did you miss Enemy Territory?

It's a "Free Game" which is basically based on the RTCW engine, it is a much improved version of RTCW imo, with a few extra maps and extra taskes/objectives, each map is completely different, requires high levels of team play, making it one of the, if not the, best FPS of all times, sure it's graphics are a little dated, but BF1942 is the only thing on your list that even begins to stand up to ET.

Only problem with ET is the steep learning curve compared to the other games, because it's the only actual FPS that's been brought up in this thread that requires something called "Thought".

edit;

On second thought, I think I'll mention I'm talking Multiplayer online since 90% of the time my "single player" games are finished within one day of purchase ¬.¬

For single player, CoD is actually pretty sweet.

.......it's just not a multiplayer game though...

Archived