Home

Atlantis Found?

jebbers

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

I hope they find proof af great technoligy there, then I'd be conviced.

if Atlantis didn't have technoligy, then it is like every other ainceint civilisation, and therefore kinda useless.

Where did you get the idea that it has "great technology"?

:confused:

TiE

i seen him on a canadian show and they showed 3D maps of the ocean on what he found and he said the city was built on top of an acropolis(sp?) and it had a wall/ridge all the way around it....then it wen tto a thermal image and the top of the acropolis was bright red/yellow...

I saw this on the news the other day, apparently they found what looks to be man-made walls underwater in the location atlantis was said to be at by Plato

Evidence presented in Discovery of Atlantis almost perfectly matches the nearly 50 clues in Plato's descriptions.

I think it is Atlantis. Great technologies? Doubtfull, I just think it was an old civilization.

Yeah, I saw a program here with the guy talking about it. The measurements are exactly as Plato said and it is near the Atlantians' enemies. People always wondered why Atlantis would have an enemy thousands of miles away. (It's not in the Atlantic ocean it turns out)

They showed graphics of what it looked like. Giant walls around some sort of canal system. They went on to say that when Atlantis sunk (they explained a flood came to create the Mediterranean sea) that a few people escaped to Egypt, giving them their technology, that's why Egypt sort of came out of nowhere with their technology and ability to build things like pyramids when there was no evolution of it.

Reasonable amount of evidence that it is Atlantis -

• Matches Plato's measurements exactly except supposedly, a few worn down thingies.

Near their enemies. Why would they trek all the way from the Atlantic to Cyprus just for a fight. They were near.

Architecture is advanced, makes sense that some refugees fled to Egypt and inspired them.

It sunk :-|

It sunk from water from the Atlantic

:p

there were documenteries about modern lasers in atlantis called death rays.

:rofl:

Originally posted by Chase Windu

I found Atlantis once. It was beautiful. You could see sound and hear light and color. Then my acid trip wore off.

I don't believe there's an actual Atlantis. It's a myth or a legend or somehing. Just a story like the Odessey by Homer or something.

What, you mean like Troy? Oh wait...

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

They went on to say that when Atlantis sunk (they explained a flood came to create the Mediterranean sea) that a few people escaped to Egypt, giving them their technology, that's why Egypt sort of came out of nowhere with their technology and ability to build things like pyramids when there was no evolution of it.

Wtf? I wouldn't trust them, then, because there is a clear evolution of the pyramid idea from small tombs [mastabas? can't recall exact details at the moment] to the concept of pyramids.

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

I hope they find proof af great technoligy there, then I'd be conviced.

if Atlantis didn't have technoligy, then it is like every other ainceint civilisation, and therefore kinda useless.

If you're hoping for death rays, robots and ancient super-computers, you're definitely in for a disappointment.

Finally, a thread for an archaeology student! :)

It's not Atlantis. If there ever was an Atlantis as described by Plato's Dialogs, then it would have had to have been a neo-lithic civilization based on the information that Plato gives for dates.

There was indeed a "flooding of the Mediterranean," but this was following the Messanian crisis of the Med, in which the sea dried up during a glacial period. The deluge occurred about 5 million years ago when global sea levels rose due to melted glaciers. There were no humans at that time to witness the event, much less perish in a city in the Mediterranean desert.

A more plausible explanation is that another drop and subsequent rise in sea levels (which didn't dessicate the Med) created a temporary home to some neolithic people, perhaps on a land bridge between Gibralter and Spain.

The "sunken island" that Sarmast (who, incidently is a former architect, not an archaeologist or other scientist) located is most likely not an island, but merely an undersea ridge that experienced "slumping" due to a tectonic event (my minor is geology).

Compare this image of how slumping occurs...

to this image of Sarmast's so-called Atlantis

The region that Sarmast assigns as the "acropolis hill" is most likely a granite batholyth. The slumped region that forms his so-called "wall" is a less dense material and less able to maintain the steep slope under tectonic pressures (the region has had its share of volcanos in history).

And he is quoted as saying "this is definately Atlantis."

I'm just offering my educated opinion based on the information Sarmast has made available. But he appears to be wasting his money by looking for a lost city. Rock at that depth hasn't seen daylight in millions of years.

Those interested in Atlantis mythology may want to browse this webage... I wrote it after a fascinating exchange with a different Atlantis proponent. Different, indeed.

Egyptians pyramids type of builds have been around well before that age. Started back in the Babel days. Build one layer, then another layer, then another layer, then they finally had some tall building. They all scattered, whatever...and continued to build buildings like that in their new areas. The Inca Indians or whatever civilizations also built similar buildings. The Egyptians did the same, but just made the sides smooth instead of stair-like.

Sorry... they haven't. The first pyramid was probably built by Djoser in the third Dynasty at around 2600 BCE.

Plato became the pupil of Socrates in 407 BCE, and created the dialogs Timaeus and Critias at around 370 BCE. In these dialogs, Plato cites "Atlantis" as having found destruction 10,000 years prior. That puts the destruction of Atlantis at ca. 12,000 yrs. BP.

The first pyramid is ca. 4600 yrs. BP.

The tallest structures prior to that were ziggarats of the Early Bronze Age in Mesopotamia and perhaps similar structures in Pre-Dynastic Egypt.

There is no Atlantis... Plato was fond of creating hypothetical situations via his dialogs to engage students to think critically about their own government. Hemlock cocktails awaited those who were too egregious in their criticisms.

Archived