Home

Games to Film adaptations

jokemaster

Should Games-to-film adaptations continue?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should Games-to-film adaptations continue?

• YES!
    • With a few changes it could be good
    • With a few changes it might improve a little
    • With a lot of changes it might be salvaged
    • HAAAAAAEEEEEEEL NO!
    • YODA

Now before the critizing begins, I'd like to mention one thing: I made this thread to talk about, more than anything, things that could improve games-to-movie adaptations, since the studios (both game and film) seem to be wanting to make movies out of every game, with Doom, Spyhunter, Bloodrayne, and others on the horizon I'd like to say what I think would most dramatically improve it.

HAVE THE DEVELOPERS/WRITERS OF THE ORIGINAL GAME INVOLVED IN FILMING, WRITING, AND OTHER THINGS

I mean seriously, if you have the developers directly involved with the film, it should improve and be more faithful to the games, or at least thier spirit. I mean come on, resident evil wasn't that bad but it looked a little too high tech. Anyone who remembers playing through the original, you're in a broken-down haunted mansion, not something you'd imagine has a high-tech lab underneath it. And now the doom movie, apparently, has nothing to do with hell, Mars, and is more of a SWAT vs. zombie movie than an adaptation of DOOM 3. I mean seriously, who here thinks that it would improve if the guys who made the damn game had to give the script the thumbs up and supervize the filming?

Anyway, those are just my rambling thoughts and I'm half asleep so vote and discuss.

I got your answer right here:

Games to film movies should be animated. Be it 3D or cartoon animation.

I realise final fantasy was like this. But then theres just doing it right.

But no, I don't think live-action games to film movies will ever work.

I want to see a Halo adaptation, because I know Microsoft is being extremely careful with that property. At least there's no possibility it would be done by Uwe Boll. :)

I'd love to see a Final Fantasy movie done that's actually, you know, fantasy. I liked the Final Fantasy movie, but wtf did it have to do with the game? XD

(I've seen a trailer for an FF movie that looks really cool, but I think that's some direct-to-DVD thing...)

I'd like to see a Dungeons and Dragons movie done right. That would be a little touchy, though, since there's alot of lame crap in D&D; but there's also some extremely cool stuff. The existing Dungeons and Dragons movie had none of the good stuff from the game at all. And the new stuff they invented for it was, well, crap. (I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who's only been introduced to D&D for about six months, and saw the movie several years ago and hated it.)

Originally posted by Redwing

I liked the Final Fantasy movie, but wtf did it have to do with the game? XD

I assume you're talking about Spirits within and not the other FF movies that had come out before that were animations. It wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the games, it was it's own fantasy.

I loved the Super Mario Bros. movie, I don't care what you all think, but that movie was fun to watch. I also loved the Clue movie. Clue is the best game to movie adaption ever.

Many games have pretty crappy plots in the end, and that's why it would be essential to really study and try to capture the spirit of the game, like you also said, jokemaster. There should be a quality manuscript, not something some random dude wrote on a napkin or some tech guy extracted from the strings files of the game.

Personally, I would like to see a Command & Conquer movie. Those games, at least the original and Tiberian sun (those being the only ones I have played), had a very out of the ordinary and strong spirit. I suppose it would have to be a kind of a snapshot movie rather than the whole thing packed in 2 hours. But it might work.

Games to movies I've seen and liked:

FF: Spirits Within - dunno anything about FF, but this was entertaining.

Clue: I saw this on Comedy Central a long time ago. It was entertaining.

Super Mario Bros [Live Action]: I really liked this one, played the games a lot.

I think a Halo movie would rock. Heck, I'll take a movie adaptation of the Halo Trilogy any day of the week (that is if they follow the book and not screw it up).

Originally posted by InsaneSith

I assume you're talking about Spirits within and not the other FF movies that had come out before that were animations. It wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the games, it was it's own fantasy.

That's the problem. I think that if it didn't have the FF name, it would've been better accepted.

Originally posted by Redwing

Then why name it that?

IT IS IT'S OWN FANTASY STORY! WRITTEN IN STYLE WITH FF!. Not all the FF games have to do with eachother, why don't people complain about that? "omg it's not the same as the last one, totally different story". They're different fantasies entailing different stories. They're all part of a series, as was this movie.

You people are really silly.

Archived