Home

Firefox

HerbieZ

After seeing everyone's comments on various threads about how good firefox is, i decided to install it. Can someone please tell me how the hell in anyway better it is than ie? The thing does'nt appear to block pop-ups as i had 5 on my desktop after viewing sites i view everyday. Macromedia flash won't work with firefox as it wont auto install or manual install for that matter. Pictures are also diabolically slow to load with all these picture placement icons dotted around webpages taknig years to disappear and be replaced with normal pictures.

Any help?

The thing does'nt appear to block pop-ups as i had 5 on my desktop after viewing sites i view everyday. Macromedia flash won't work with firefox as it wont auto install or manual install for that matter. Pictures are also diabolically slow to load with all these picture placement icons dotted around webpages taknig years to disappear and be replaced with normal pictures.

If you have the popup-blocker function enabled in the Settings, those popups are probably caused by Flash. Check in the Tools Menu --> Options --> Content if the Block Popups box is checked. If it is and you still get popups you'll have to turn on the Plugin popup blocker as well. Open a new browser tab and type about:config in the address field. In the filter box that appears, type: privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins. If it shows up in the listing below, doubleclick it and change its value to 2. If it does not show up, right-click the list and add it as a new integer value. Like this.

You may also want to download the AdBlock extension from the Firefox extensions website, it allows you to get rid of pretty much any annoying content on the web.

As for sites that enjoy opening new browser windows whenever they link to external pages and you don't want a new window, click links with the mousewheel/middle button and Firefox will open them in a new tab instead.

Problems with Flash? It works just fine in my Firefox browser (when I allow it to, again AdBlock is very nice). If it won't install automatically you can download an installer from Macromedia's Site and install it manually.

The first time you load a page in the browser (any browser, not just Firefox) it's gonna be a lot slower than during subsequent visits since the browser will need to download all static content from the server, rather than use locally chached files as it normally does. If it continues to be slow, check your cache settings. You can check if the images are cached by opening a new browser tab and typing about:cache in the Address box.

After seeing everyone's comments on various threads about how good firefox is, i decided to install it. Can someone please tell me how the hell in anyway better it is than ie? The thing does'nt appear to block pop-ups as i had 5 on my desktop after viewing sites i view everyday. Macromedia flash won't work with firefox as it wont auto install or manual install for that matter. Pictures are also diabolically slow to load with all these picture placement icons dotted around webpages taknig years to disappear and be replaced with normal pictures.

Any help?

I know I will be shot but....

Firefox sucks. It's just a copy off of IE. I installed Firefox, and it frekin' screwed up my computer. I would get any else but Firefox. Firefox doesn't even run Virus Protection like it says it does.

So flame me all you want, but I still think Firefox still sucks.

This post is spam, off-topic, and also an attempt to start a flame war, don't do this again. -RH

I know I will be shot but....

Firefox sucks. It's just a copy off of IE. I installed Firefox, and it frekin' screwed up my computer. I would get any else but Firefox. Firefox doesn't even run Virus Protection like it says it does.

Actually it's based off Netscape Navigator, and both Netscape Navigator and MSIE are based off NCSA Mosaic.

You are of course entitled to express your opinion about your preferred browser, though I fail to see how that opinion is relevant to the questions posed in this particular topic. Seems like a thinly veiled attempt to derail the topic into a flame war to me. :)

Since the millions people currently using Firefox apparently didn't have their computer screwed up by it I would assume the cause for your trouble lies elsewhere.

Yeah just comments no flame war please. I tried installing flash manually after the auto failed and the content server to downlaod flash was broken so i could'nt. To be honest im waiting for ie 7, that has tabbed browsing too and alot of the newer features in browsers today.

I recently switched to Firefox, an I don't really see any difference.

But just because there are no visible differences, as far as I can see, doesn't mean it's a 'copy of IE'. I do think it's better in that I now have less spyware, and the virus that forced my to switch from IE seems to have been eradictaed, even though I was forced to virus-vault it. I don't know if Firefox had anything to do with that, but I doubt it's a coicidence.

I recently switched to Firefox, an I don't really see any difference.

But just because there are no visible differences, as far as I can see, doesn't mean it's a 'copy of IE'. I do think it's better in that I now have less spyware, and the virus that forced my to switch from IE seems to have been eradictaed, even though I was forced to virus-vault it. I don't know if Firefox had anything to do with that, but I doubt it's a coicidence.

erm your joking right?

differences right away no pop-ups. others: less spyware, tabbed browsing(never live with out it again), extentions and themes

firefox extentions

firefox themes

1. I never got any pop-ups anyway

2. Less spyware. I never got a great deal to begin with, and it's still not all gone.

3. I don't use the tabbed browsing. It's just as easy to have multiple windows open.

4. I don't use extensions or themes. They don't serve any real purpose, IMO. It works fine wihtout them.

Aye, and to be honest.. it's what the taskbar was made for. The original tabbed browsing ^_^

-_-" it saves a lot of time just haveing 4 or five tabs instead of 4 or 5 windows which start a completely seperate exe going for each window.

when tabs don't do that.

-_-" it saves a lot of time just haveing 4 or five tabs instead of 4 or 5 windows which start a completely seperate exe going for each window.

when tabs don't do that.

Due to the way Windows manages system memory (it allocates memory per window) it also reduces memory usage as well. Therefore, if there's one window open, Windows will only allocate enough memory for one window, unless the application "requests" more memory.

So basically, if you have 5 IE windows/instances open, Windows would have enough memory for 5 IE instances allocated. If you have one Firefox/IE 7 window open with 5 tabs, Windows would have enough memory allocated for one instance of Firefox/IE 7 plus any extra memory the instance may or may not "request".

I hate IE. Firefox is actually faster than IE, and i got control over everything! If you know what you are doing, you can adjust your Firefox to be perfect for your needs.

Another advantage of Firefox is, that it is open source and works with Linux as well.

... You guys do realise that the only difference is where the tabs are located, right?

Nope, the tabs also use less system resources than if you have multiple windows open. Each window is a seperate instance of the program running, in comparison to tabs which are running under the one single window.

While it is up to you how you want to browse the web, I will never return to non tabbed browsing.

Note: I use Firefox (Desktop) and Maxthion (Laptop), both have tabbed browsing and work for me. ;)

Here's one more vote for Firefox and tabbed browsing. Makes browsing the web more secure and far more convenient.

And I was going to link you to articles explaining what exactly is wrong with IE, but I trust you can operate your computers well enough to search that out for yourselves. A couple of good keywords to keep in mind are: security, compliance standards, and perhaps the most egregious of all, piss-poor PNG support.

Yeah.

Word. Tabbed browsing has changed my life.

what a strange life you must have, my friend :p

Dont they have girls in your area ???

Remember, Girls ?!!

Laetitia_Casta.jpg

For the curious, this is a pic of French supermodel & EU forum groupie, Laetitia Casta :p

As for FF. I try not to be a FF Nazi and force it onto other people. For teh ones that are curious I have help them set up adblock/filterset g, extra search engines theyre likely to use, and flashgot - then told them to try and see what they think. Not one of them have since gone back to ie. Its more than 30 people and counting :)

and having played with ie7(beta), unless M$ comes up with something magical by the full release, theyre still a sorry second in the ever geeky "browser wars"

mtfbwya

[/i] and perhaps the most egregious of all, piss-poor PNG support.

PNG never really took hold and isn't completely supported by most browsers. So it isn't just Firefox with this Issue.

PNG at one point tried to become the industry standard for Web based Images but never really got any corner in the market. As such it was effectively dropped by most companies.

basically all PNG does is combine both JPEG and Gif file properties into on file format. (ChainZ.2da is probably gonna correct me but, that's how it was explained to my web design class)

</hi-jack>

Archived