Home

Tysyacha's Confession

Tysyacha

I have cerebral palsy, which is a developmental disability. People

like us have been dismissed as "retarded", not thought of as "one

of the gang" at school, turned down for jobs even if we have the

same qualifications as typical people, denied transportation, and

set apart in "special education" classrooms and in institutions.

I'm trying to change all that, and this is how far I'm getting:

http://ehrenreich.blogs.com/barbara_commentators/

After you click this link, I'd like you to share your thoughts.

Have you ever known somebody with a disability before, or

do you yourself have one? Are we as "retarded" as the outside

world thinks we are? Love to hear your lines, LF! *grins evilly*

Cerebral palsy? It mainly affects physical things. But in my opinion, as long as someone can get a job done, I could care less. :)

I myself don't have any disabilities. I've actually not known any good people (in person) who are physically handicapped in such a way, but I'd be and idiot to think it's more than a coincidence. Planety of "normal" people are jersk as well. :)

Wow. I don't have any disabilities, though my sister is an occupational therapists and she deals with all kinds of handicapped children in her modest clinic. She might know more of the issue, I believe. I'll go consult her.

As for your question on whether you "retards" should be barred from society, well, obviously no. I for one, would have never guessed that you are handicapped. You just seem so much like a normal everyday fellow. Dunno what exactly it is supposed to be, maybe. I'm an idiot. but society has a misconception to label anyone who is not normal as freaks. I don't get it. Everybody's a freak, one way or another.

I think it's cruel that some people won't let you get a certain job because you have a disability. You should be entitled to do any job you want. I don't have a disability, but I do have a friend in a wheelchair. He has a leg problem and will never be able to walk again unless a miracle cure is found. :(

As for your question. No, you, and everyone else who has a disability, are still people, and they deserve respect.

Everyone, even if they have a problem, deserve the same treatment as everyone else in the world. I myself have Autism, which I found out about three years ago when I was eleven. Even I know some people with worse conditions than myself and at school, sometimes they get bullied, etc. I have before and it still happens, but I'm coping with it easier than I used to.

I once knew someone with Cerebral Palsy, but keeping on topic, a link to read about Cerebral Palsy is here.

Retarded? Hell no!

My bestest friend in the world has Cerebral Palsy and there's not a better person on this planet (no offense to my friends here at LFnet ;) ). The guy has the kindest heart I know, his 2 children are adorable, and brilliant.. and I'm honored to be their "godfather". His wife is beautiful and honestly hehehe the best thing that's happened to him...

He is constantly educating himself not only on his "disability" but on everything else.. just like *gasp* any other human being. Sure he has difficulties sometimes, but he's got a fighting spirit and has definitely not let Palsy dominate his life. He's an inspiration to me and will always be my best friend, brother-I-never-had and yes, a mentor in walks in life that I myself haven't taken. Palsy or not, he's still one of the best damned carpenters I know... but other than trade skills, he's really shown me how to enjoy life no matter the obstacles it can sometimes present... :D

Everyone, even if they have a problem, deserve the same treatment as everyone else in the world.

Damn straight brother... :thumbsup:

I couldn't imagine my life without my bestest friend, and If I had been as shallow a human being as, unfortunately, some others I've met in life.. I never would have known how great having a true friend really is :)

Correct me if im wrong but arn't there certain levels of cerebral palsy in terms of severity which can factor into things. Because it also can vary between people there should be greater understanding of how it has affected specific people and not just class them all as one group. I have only known one person with cerebral palsy and he was my mates 7 year old brother. The times i did go to his house i admittedly was quite weary because he could be extremely violent for a 7 year old. I can't really say more because it's a sort of unknown topic to me but things can and should be better.

Correct me if im wrong but arn't there certain levels of cerebral palsy in terms of severity which can factor into things. Because it also can vary between people there should be greater understanding of how it has affected specific people and not just class them all as one group. I have only known one person with cerebral palsy and he was my mates 7 year old brother. The times i did go to his house i admittedly was quite weary because he could be extremely violent for a 7 year old. I can't really say more because it's a sort of unknown topic to me but things can and should be better.

Perhaps it depends on how high the condition is. There might be more information in the link I provided in my previous post.

Quite frankly I don't mind whether a person is considered "disabled"or not. I've seen "disabled" persons more "able" and willing to do the job than people qualified as non disabled persons. I think that many employers don't know much about cerebral palsy and disabilities in general and are afraid of the unknown (or worse, what the clients may think).

As for insurance companies...they're in just for the money and whenever someone doesn't fall within their criteria, they refuse to insure you (and when you are insured and make a claim, they'll look for all the reasons in the world to not have to pay).

As for you, I always found that you were a sensitive, original and intelligent poster. You have all my respect.

I'm trying to change all that
I encourage you to take initiatives in that respect. It's sad to say but the only way things can change is if some people try to do something about it. Just look at the evolution of the women's status over the 20th century as an example...

Tysy, if anyone calls you a retard, give me a PM. I'd love to have a little 'talk' with them.

I loathe people who think that just because someone has something like autism or cerebral palsy, that person is retarded and unworthy of the same treatment as everyone else. I don't view people with disabilities as unworthy - I view people who do view them as inferior as such. If that makes any sense at all.

I don't know if it really counts as a 'disability' per se, but I suffer from attention defecit disorder. I was diagnosed about ten years ago. I used to be on ritalin for it, but I've learned to control myself and stay focused without it, for the most part.

Everyone, even if they have a problem, deserve the same treatment as everyone else in the world. I myself have Autism, which I found out about three years ago when I was eleven.

Autism? I've read a very interesting book on Autism, Potts. Its called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". Its a very interesting book set in the eyes of an twelve year old afflicted with autism. A must read, i say. Brilliantly written!

Autism? I've read a very interesting book on Autism, Potts. Its called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". Its a very interesting book set in the eyes of an twelve year old afflicted with autism. A must read, i say. Brilliantly written!

I've read a book called Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome, written by Luke Jackson. I haven't read all of it, but it is interesting.

Archived