Home

Come on, Mojo!

ThunderPeel2001

It doesn't automatically revert them as there's no way for it to know if a change is good or bad really, but it stores a copy of every single version of the page so if someone adds something lame you can manually revert it to the prior version.

And hee Jake, nice! But more like:

mojo2015.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's cool, Jake! What software do you use for your 3D titles?
He might be doing it differently now, but here's how he showed me how to do it back in 2001ish: To get a quick 3D look in Photoshop, duplicate your text layer, scale it down a couple notches and put it behind the original layer. Then play with the colors/effects of both layers until you have something satisfactory. Putting a shadow on the smaller layer copy also helps.

3d-test.gif

I threw this together over lunch. It worked! (Sort of.) I need to round the edges, and I'd probably choose a different font and squish it together a bit more, but it's a cool effect and good to know! Thanks, Jake!

Your shadow changes angle, understandable for a point-source of light (though if that were the case the shadow would be towards the outside, whereas yours heads inward. Maybe just do a 'regular' shadow that goes right-down or left-down... or just down... across the whole image.

Otherwise, neat!

Well, if the text is floating a bit above a surface, the shadow will obviously be a bit smaller than the text itself, because that's how perspective works. I tried to just shrink and position the shadow along the same lines the perspective lines were going that came from the text, with a little extra adjustment to make it appear as if things were being lit from a light a little bit above the text. I don't think straight on shadows, especially ones done by hand in Photoshop, ever look all that nice.

Also to give shadows a little extra definition I usually do shadows with two layers - one unblurred, crisp version of the shadow at maybe 5% opacity, and one blurred version, moved a pixel or two further in the direction the shadow is being cast, at maybe 15 or 20% opacity. It helps keep the shadows from looking too mushy while retaining the soft look.

Also to give shadows a little extra definition I usually do shadows with two layers - one unblurred, crisp version of the shadow at maybe 5% opacity, and one blurred version, moved a pixel or two further in the direction the shadow is being cast, at maybe 15 or 20% opacity. It helps keep the shadows from looking too mushy while retaining the soft look.

Interesting! I'll try that. Thanks, Jake!

Archived