Home

Come on, Mojo!

ThunderPeel2001

Come on, Mojo! It's time to step up to the plate and show how much we, as a community, really love adventure games. The only thing to mark the arrival of the greatest single adventure gaming event since Escape From Monkey Island is a headline that says "Culture Shock now yesterday out worldwide!".

Who the hell, outside of those who already know that Sam & Max is out, knows what "Culture Shock" is? It sounds like the latest Warren Spector game!

Above this is a banner that says, "Bone Episode 1 is out" (from over a year ago!) and to the right is a review of "Bone Episode 2"!

Is this what we got so angry about when we heard Sam & Max had been canceled in 2004? Was I the only one there who was upset with LucasArts? We've finally got our wish: A talented group of individuals are selling top-quality adventure game titles once again, not least of which is the totally awesome Sam & Max!

Is the current LucasArts president sitting in his office chuckling to himself; "See, even the die-hards aren't that interested in adventure games anymore... We were right to cancel Sam & Max!".

MixNMojo got behind Bone in a great way, and it's time we got behind Sam & Max, too!

To show my commitment, and that I'm not just bellowing hot air, I've thrown together a banner to replace the archaic Bone Episode 1 one at the top of Mojo. It's not the best banner in the world, but at least it shows support for Sam & Max!

sammaxnew.gif

I hereby allow anyone to take this banner and put it on any site they see fit to help raise the profile of Sam & Max!

http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/sammaxnew.gif

Come on, people, spread the word!

Sam & Max are back - hurrah!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the server went down, not everything is back up and running yet. No-one could even login as staff until Thursday. I dont think ftp access is restored yet either, I think thats partly why there hasnt been more Sam and Max pimping.

At the same time, good point Thunderpeel. On a personal level the reason I'm not doing more to help is the huge backlog of IRL work I have to do - and I know thrik is busy on a personal project/preparing for a new job. And Jake, well - he works for Telltale, he's obviously very busy.

The header will probably be changed to a new one tomorrow, at the same time as the review will be moved from the news section to the features.

Yay! Now that's the kind of unabashed enthusiasm I was hoping for! jp-30 says there's some good stuff in the works, too? Can't wait to see it! Good work, Remi!

I have to read Middlemarch.

But yeah, I agree with you ThunderPeel, and we'll certainly be trying to up the ante on the old Sam & Max in the future... but the advantage of this episodic thing is that the coverage can be slow burning. Roll on episode two!

Great banner graphic, incidentally.

Yay! Now that's the kind of unabashed enthusiasm I was hoping for! jp-30 says there's some good stuff in the works, too? Can't wait to see it! Good work, Remi!

What, you mean the Mojo Thrillville reskin joke I made in the news comments?

Uhhh.. yeah...

:sweating:

What, you mean the Mojo Thrillville reskin joke I made in the news comments?
Ah, crap. I missed the joke :doh: So that means there's NOT a great big pro-Sam & Max change about to happen? :cry7:

I don't why they just don't use the banner I made in the meantime; it's precisely the right size just to drop in, and it beats a banner that's from over a year ago... (How did it go so fast?)

The Unofficial still exists and loves Sam and Max, even though Mojo clearly doesn't. I heard they take their server offline just to screw with Sam and Max fans!

Lol!

Edit: Actually, http://www.samandmax.net is offline at the moment...??? Is TT's Sam & Max cursed or are LucasArts trying to sabotage its release?! Weird!

OK, so with all of that said, I think it's time for a...

State of the Mojo '06! =OD

Now first of all, the reason we haven't been "on the ball" over the past few weeks has mainly been what was mentioned above, i.e. server issues. At the same time though, I think it's fair to say that Mojo might not have been all of our's first priority lately. Or second. And possibly not even third.

Obviously things have changed since '97 or whatever; most of the people responsible for the site back then aren't around anymore, and those of us who have been around for a while aren't 18 years old anymore. Priorities tend to change when the clammy hand of 30 starts coming dangerously close. That might be why Jake and myself concentrate a bit more on the behind the scenes stuff as opposed to posting news or whatever. And at the same time I think Udvarnoky has done a great job with the news, and that Mojo is updated at least as much as it was during the "glory years."

With all of that said we do, believe it or not, have some future plans for Mojo. Two major changes are, in fact, abound:

1. The news section! While a MojoX was planned (and a Mojo 9.5 half-way developed) we've decided to just switch over to Wordpress which does everything we need it to do and more. That's right, Mojo will come a blog... Which it has been since the beginning anyway, but this way it'll be even better. No, really.

2. The game database! We'll be tossing out our old proprietary and in stead go with a, wait for it, wiki. In other words, instead of complaining about missing data, you'll be allowed to add it yourself.

And really, when it all is said and done, that is all Mojo will be. Hell, it's really all it already is.

Ironically enough the future of classic LEC-type gaming is possibly more interesting today than it was ten years ago, with Double Fine, Telltale, and Autumn Moon doing what they're doing. As for LucasArts, I doubt you'll see much of them on what we so affectionally call Mojo 2.0, but that shouldn't be surprising to anybody.

So yeah, you might not see many more "Mojo visits LucasArts" stories anymore, but I think the wiki and WordPress stuff will be pretty sweet.

Great stuff! It's good idea to try and people more involved with a Wiki, too. Plus it takes the burden off you guys.

Obviously things have changed since '97 or whatever; most of the people responsible for the site back then aren't around anymore, and those of us who have been around for a while aren't 18 years old anymore. Priorities tend to change when the clammy hand of 30 starts coming dangerously close.
I know how it feels! I've barely ten seconds to myself these days, what with the house in need of TLC, the manic job and personal life etc etc. The fact that Mojo has survived so long is amazing, especially when it's only really been running on memories for the past few years.

This is why I thought I'd try and help out. I'm sure Jake has something nicer in the pipe line, but it's cool if we can all pitch in.

I don't why they just don't use the banner I made in the meantime; it's precisely the right size just to drop in, and it beats a banner that's from over a year ago... (How did it go so fast?)
I actually tried to do that, but the FTP still doesn't work for me. Also, I probably would have incurred the wrath of Jake and Remi again for doing things wrong. :~

Jake seemed pretty insistent on doing the graphic himself, so I'm leaving it in his capable hands. ;

You forgot to mention smooth.

Oh yah, when you crossover to doing a Wiki I'd like to serve some role in working on it. Believe it or not I hold my work to the highest degree of scrutiny.

Well, the idea of a wiki is that anyone can work on it — it's communist websitery at its finest. Maybe we could encourage participation by having a "best contributors" sidebar on the front page of the site or something though.

Archived