Home

50 Cent says file-sharing is okay

I want to hear him say that again, after he sees how much more he could have sold without filesharing. It propably only doesn"t bother him, because he already makes a lot of money.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Funny, as I was talking about it just yesterday with friends (who thought 50 Cent had some great songs when he wasn't as famous yet), and we came to that same conclusion.

Doesn't matter how many albums you sell, your money comes from tours. Labels get the album money, that's why they don't like file sharing.

QFT

The average CD sale doesn't go to the artist, and what they do get of it is relativly small(compared to the price of the CD). This is why the people getting up in arms over file-sharing are the guys who, without the artists, are nothing.

The artists can always find people to set up tours. It's the industry brass who lose since they have no talent to sell, all they "sell" are connections.

Most artists get about .05-.5% of a CD sale. Sometimes more if they realize they have **** these guys want.

Indeed.

unforunately modern artists trying to get popular have been brainwashed that without the corporation they would be nothing, when it's the other way around.

well I was a touring musician. I agree that filesharing is ok. In fact I think the real problem is that people are not buying the alums because there's 1 or 2 good songs with 10-15 fillers. Some of the crud that has been placed on albums wouldn't have made the b-sides. So people download the 2 good songs and never buy the full album. This is the same stink that was made with the "blank tape" argument. Funny thing is that bands like Metallica got their start from people sharing their tape(No Life Til Leather) with eachother. Copying it, giving it away, throwing it through windows(I was there haha).

El Slitherino is sorta correct about the percentage, unless an artist is smart enough to become his own publiser, retain the copyrights, retain the controlling interest, At most an artist could get 33% unless they own their own label. CD sales are the lowest on their pay scale. Merch gets them the highest percentage. Generally in the 80-90% range. Ticket sales net 60-65%, unless they are given an guarantee.

Archived