Revan.... Or Exile... Or Random Guy

RobQel-Droma

Main PC?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Main PC?

• Revan
    • The Exile
    • "Some-Random-Guy-With-Amazing-Force-Potential"
    • I don't care if I play as Ajuur, just make the darn game.....

I myself would think it would be nice if we played as Revan again. Now I know everyone's probably going to throw me all the problems associated with that idea, but trust me, I know. In fact, I usually am pro-New PC.

However, I've thought about if for a long time, and here are my reasons for each character not being/being the main PC.

Revan: I think the benefit of having Revan as the main PC would be the storyline more than anything else. It would certainly build a stronger storyline rather than simply having some new "random guy", as I put it, coming in in each game, with his own little story and own enemies.

I consider this idea already partially shot, though, considering that Obsidian used a New PC for TSL; it would seem to reduce the potential of having a single main character for the (possible) trilogy. It's too bad, because I think they could have build on KOTOR and really made a strong story out of Revan (and to a lesser extent, Bastila/Carth). Not that I don't like TSL, or its characters, but it certainly took the story away from Revan.

Now, I know there's problems, the main one being:

What do you do with the whole level thing? Revan can't be level 60 at the start of the game, neither can his companions. One of the hazards of RPGs like this - for example, JK never had this problems, since it doesn't have "levels". Well, it did in JO, but that was solved by "Kyle gave up his force powers, so now he's got to learn them again."

Only problem is, Revan already did that trick, although in a different sort of way.

And there's other problems, of course. Anyone have anything to say about this one?

The Exile: No. He's just not really the main focus, nor is a strong enough character IMO to rank being featured as the main PC in two games, rather than Revan.

Some Random Guy Who Comes In With Amazingly Strong Force Potential: Yes only because the other two don't seem to work. It would mean no problem since he can start as a blank slate, so he's good gameplay wise, but.... I think the story might suffer a bit from having to make up some new character that somehow is connected to everything that's going on.

Which goes on to the second part of this thread, which isn't so much about the characters as it is: where is the story going to go? Sometimes I have doubts what they are going to do with KOTOR.... especially since, if you think about it, the two games aren't really connected at all. Based on who you would think would work, how are they going to take the story somewhere that is both satisfying, believable, and true to Star Wars fashion?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you forgot the "Some-Random-Guy-With-No-Amazing-Force-Power", beloved by Jediphile (where is he anyway?)

Ah, my apologies. I don't think many would choose that option, though, so I think I'm safe (although I don't know). :) I wouldn't think that a game entitled *Knights* of the Old Republic would have a non-Jedi PC, however, just on it's basis.

Well, having recycled characters presents issues, and for the sake of the RPG, I think the best way to go is having a new PC.

That said, I don't think he / she needs "amazing force potential". I agree you can't just have a common Jedi (Since that would make the enemy look lame), but you can simply make the PC have a special ability that helps in a special circumstance (Like the exile).

That said, I don't think he / she needs "amazing force potential". I agree you can't just have a common Jedi (Since that would make the enemy look lame), but you can simply make the PC have a special ability that helps in a special circumstance (Like the exile).

Agreed. I can't see a good way of playing as Revan or the Exile again, so, like most RPG, better to start with a new PC again. We don't necessarily need a Jedi with huge Force potential, just someone who's up to the task (whatever that task may be), someone who has what it takes.

I can't see a good way of playing as Revan or the Exile again, so, like most RPG, better to start with a new PC again. We don't necessarily need a Jedi with huge Force potential, just someone who's up to the task (whatever that task may be), someone who has what it takes.

Agreed, Look at Obi-Wan, forever left out of "most powerful" lists, yet he's kicked every ass he's come up against. (he let Vader kill him)

You don't have to be a vergence in the Force to be a Hero/villain...

what are they (whoever they are) going to do with the story?

I think no one can answer that question.

My guess is that they'll focus on the story of the new PC, and we'll find out what happened to Revan and the Exile through references in the game (That is, they'll not appear physically). At least, that's what I'd like.

How exactly would a new PC fit into the story, given what's happened in the last two games?

The new PC would fit simply by being contemporary to Revan and the Exile. You don't need a new character that has a close relationship with them for the story to work out.

I think the biggest problem with either Revan or Exile as PC is that both have been canonized which severly cuts down on storyline and character development. With a new PC, an elaborate story containing both Revan and the Exile is far easier to come up with.

Agreed, Look at Obi-Wan, forever left out of "most powerful" lists, yet he's kicked every ass he's come up against. (he let Vader kill him)

You don't have to be a vergence in the Force to be a Hero/villain...

Agreed

I would like to see some one with some but not amazing force potential.

Exactly. Obi-Wan Kenobi was not a particularly powerful Jedi in terms of raw power. However, he was pretty much the Jedi Ideal. Those ideals allowed him to overcome his enemies. Grievous, who was capable of handling dozens of Jedi including Ki-Adi-Mundi and Aayla Secura simultaneously and slaughtering most, lost to just Obi-Wan, with only minimal assistance from Obi-Wan's clone battalions. Raw power is not everything.

I would like a new PC. Not any of this crap where they ave to re-learn the Force, I want it to be a random person that gets picked up, found or sensed by perhaps one of the Exile's companions as they try and rebuild the Jedi Order for the coming war. I don't want a PC that is "You are the last hope for the galaxy...without you, were boned." none of that. I want an average Jedi that contributes to a larger puzzle that isn't centered around them.

In game their states and equipement can be awesome but story wise they aren't the be all, save all,

If the "new game" started high-level enough, I suppose it could work, we all remember how close to gods our Revans+exiles were. And if you're going to make every sith lackey in the game a level 20+, you might as well make everyone start from scratch.

Personally, I'd like to get past this "oh, we've got to go on a quest to find the holy grail which is where Revan went off to." No, I want to be there, wherever it is, and I want to be a "promising student" of Revan or the Exile who are NOT party members, but occassional people you meet up with. And then you'd get to be involved in whatever the heck is going on in the "uncharted regions".

That way we could have new weird sith, we could get away from the jedi order, and some dialogue in the beginning of the game could set up if Revan+exile are male/female, light/dark, top/bottom.

I voted for Revan for most of the same reasons RobQel did. There are ways to fix the RPG part. All feats, powers, skills, attributes would come from the save in KotOR. The level cap would be changed to 100, now have a boosted constitution of 30 would be nothing, having 45 for security would no longer open almost all doors. All feats and powers would have more levels. For example, if every feat and force power would have 3 new tiers/levels whatever you call them, A very good attribute would now be like 35-45 (including boosts) and a good skill level would be like 70-100 (again including boosts) Force Storm's next level would be for its attack to attack more people, than the next level would be for it to be more powerful, than the last level would be for it to maybe stun your opponet or decrease their attributes or something. And for feats like Power Attack it would go on from Master Power Attack like: Improved Master Power Attack, would have more damage.

Advanced Master Power Attack, could attack 2 people.

Ultimate Master Power Attack, would have more of a chance to knock down opponet.

Things like this could work if Revan was the main PC again or if the Exile was.

Archived