Home

Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG

dowon

Well I've decided to stay away from this one for now. The feedback here, the various derogatory reviews, and a conversation I had with one of the guys at my local Gamestop has basically turned me completely away from purchasing AP at this time. I only hope that Obsidian doesn't butcher FO: New Vegas in the way that they have seemingly done with AP. (Yes,I know there's not a lot of love for the new style Fallout it.)

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not happy. I have been trying to finish Saudi Arabia with the promise that everything magically improves after that point.

The problem is that the game refuses to let me. I finish a mission, and I get a blank screen (well, blank apart from the small 'objective completed' or 'level up' pop-up to the left). No level up screens, not much of anything.

The only way out of this is through the Task Manager. Which then means having to load from the last checkpoint (seeing as the mission isn't technically completed), and having to do the last part of the mission.

Which is made even more frustrating because for some reason the game loads the checkpoint with a hostile guard directly in front of me and an actived alarm. :mad:

Which is made even more frustrating because for some reason the game loads the checkpoint with a hostile guard directly in front of me and an actived alarm. :mad:

That is a good thing because you get to use the Alpha Protocol's superior combat system.

I think I made a wise decision in getting the 360 version.

Once I spot where I need to match the letters, I can never move them fast enough before it resets, and especially the one controlled by the mouse, why wouldn't it just replace the cursor? It doesn't move 1-to-1 speed with my mouse, so I have to move the cursor all the way to the edge of the screen and then adjust my mouse and drag it some more, and when I do get it there, its so sensitive that many times it has slipped 1 spot over and I click at the wrong spot.
I had that same problem; I just adjusted the sensitivity until I found it to be smooth enough, and problem solved. I did plug an Xbox controller in, and I found that to be much more natural than mouse & keyboard, at least for the minigames.
That explanation alone makes this the worst minigame ever created, but what's worse is that since I fail virtually every time I try to hack, it sets off the alarm system and rather than being able to stealth take guys down which can be somewhat enjoyable
Well, good; that's what should happen... at least in real-life. Failing a minigame/skill check shouldn't be a forgiving mechanic; it's a gamble that the player is willing to make, and the outcome should neither always be win nor lose, but it should adhere to the principles set by the experience invested by the player.

It makes absolutely no sense that you have to stand there for like 2 seconds targeting an enemy before you can get a critical. I definitely understand wanting to make the combat system skill point based so that it's not just based on how good you are at pointing the mouse / controller, but it's just so poorly executed.
The reticule should have been progressively more accurate (smaller) from the get-go, all by how long you steadily aim at the player, like in Deus Ex. The only workaround that I've found is to zoom in (F key/right thumbstick button), and that can increase the accuracy by 100%; a person becomes a torso.

No, the mission structure is exactly the same. The only difference is what bonus intel is available which has some minor effects like dossier completion and one or two lines of conversation. Nothing of consequence.
Uh, no. Sure, the inherent mechanic in a mission doesn't change, but the content does. For example:

Allying yourself with Shaheed turns the al-Samad regiment at the Roman ruins friendly, and that's at least ten enemies removed from the equation.

Sure, it isn't a massive, direction-changing consequence, but it's one that's based on a relatively small past decision, and that's more C&C than what anyone may find in many other RPGs, past and present.

Blood boiling right now.

Can't even activate the damn game.

It can't find an internet connection (then how am I typing this?), the offline activation by uploading...SOMETHING? doesn't work either.

Going into the binaries and directly activating doesn't work.

Haven't played a minute, but I have seriously never been this angry with a game. I bought a game and have no way to play it. Great.

Meh. After all the hubbub and hullaballoo over this game, to now see the Meh reviews pour in is disappointing, at the least. More likely, what this general feeling of diffidence surrounding the game tells me, is that Obsidian is not a developer I would buy anything from again. Really, after TSL that was my opinion, but now it is a done deal.

A shame.

You don't need a compiler. AP uses an older version of the U3 engine, like ME1. You can edit the INIs directly.

You have the same problem that you do with ME though (indeed with any cooked U3 game) in that, while you can extract content, you can't repack it in a form the game will use. That means the best you can do (besides INI edits) is memory hacks for textures via TexMod.

Thanks for the info and linky, DarthParametric.

I was interested in editing things like weapons and ammo, which looked like they are complied, as you mentioned. I thought something like Quarn's Coalesed compiler for ME2 was feasible in AP, because it did repack the files. I gathered it would also work in AP with some revision, in all honesty I am not a programmer so I am easily confused. ;)

Though I may try Texmod for possible edit of NPC Reputation, if there isn't a Save Editor to cover this already.

TexMod is only for loading custom textures.

The INIs are not compiled like in ME2. Edit the ones in My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\ with any text editor. You may need to make them read-only afterward, to stop the game changing them.

There is a reputation and stats editor at CheatHappens, but it's for members only (subscription based). There may be others around.

Just got my copy, got about two hours into it. Some impressions:

- Stealth mechanics are much more prehensile than what I anticipated; during the tutorial mission, I was repeatedly noticed for simply crouching behind a two-foot-high countertop. The enemies also don't usually "give up"; when they see you, they pursue you until either one of you is dead.

Something I noticed early, too. Stealth in AP seems to be centered entirely on evading line of sight and crouching, since I couldn't make out any shadow-cover system, if there was one. I dropped Stealth pretty early on and went on to be a balls-to-the-wall mercenary shooter.

- Combat is a mixed bag. I've never liked cover systems in general, but this implementation is the least annoying that I've seen. Having to zoom in just to shoot is irksome, but having a skill-governed reticule doesn't make it a run-'n-gun.

Agreed with the cover system. It was refreshingly good after Mass Effect, which I won't discuss here for sake of brevity.

- Music is awesome. It's the best OST that I've heard in years, so mich that I'd say that it's almost as good as Deus Ex. Almost.

TBH, I never paid much attention to the music in AP, but I thought the opening music-bite you got when loading the Main Menu was extremely annoying. Other than that, it built a great ambience, but that's pretty much it. I might pay more attention on my second playthrough.

- The graphics are good. Even on the lowest settings, the game looked as good as HL2:EP2 on max; and that's outputting <60 FPS. There's no need to gripe, here.

While the quality is as you say, it lacks attention to detail, so if you're the sort to really pay attention to the game world, it doesn't quite congruous with the same reality we live in, as you'd expect it.

- Bugs... there's barely any. Not counting wonky AI and timing issues, I've encountered none. The game also loads and runs very smoothly, and compared to Mass Effect's PC port, it's very bug-free. Other than the occassional stuttering (Which, IMO, is less periodic than Mass Effect or Mirror's Edge) Either people have grossly exaggerated the issues; or I'm just lucky. :) But, really, I haven't seen any showstoppers like in TSL or Bloodlines, so there's no need to fret when it comes to the possibility of buying a work-in-progress beta.

You've been very lucky then. My list of experienced bugs would be rather long - a few restart-needing crashes, several moments where reloading after death broke and I had to reload twice and some graphics bugs. The physics were rather raw, and looked like they came from Unreal Engine 2, FFS.

Also, there was plenty of stuttering for me. I managed to fix that with some ini tweaks, but not all of it. Most annoying was how the game loaded enemies right as you entered the room, the resultant stutter would mean that enemies got the jump on you.

- The AI is, also, a mixed bag. Some enemies spotted me from 20m away, crouched behind a dumpster at night. Others couldn't see me hiding behind a bench that was right in front of them. Either way, the AI is a good sort of stupid, a stupidity that one can exploit to their pleasure. It's very much comparable to Deus Ex, but more improved than that.

Since I played run-and-gun, AI was pretty much cannon-fodder for me. It was much better than the cowherd AI from Mass Effect where the enemies just shamble around shooting or "flank" you by strolling right next to you and expectantly shooting you in the gut.

AP's AI at least knows how to get around and can be found swarming all over the place. What I especially liked was that the game emphasised priority of fire. As soon as you hit somebody, he faltered or flinched, which would buy you time to either finish him off, or distract someone else.

Martial arts is also surprisingly good, though the attack-initiation radius could have been improved.

- Level design is excellent... well, at least for this age. It's not a non-linear jungle gym like Deus Ex, but it certainly isn't the obstacle course that Mass Effect was. However, no matter what your preference is, you're sure to find pleasure.

Felt rather Mass Effect-y to me, but with a good dose of Splinter Cell thrown in. I thought of SC on several missions (most notably Taipei), but then, I never played the stealth character, so I may have missed alternate routes.

Go buy this game. AP can't be compared to neither Deus Ex nor Mass Effect, because comparisons don't do this game justice. AP most certainly isn't the greatest game that you'll play, however, I will say that this seems to be the most innovative example of an RPG in quite some time, in terms of actual role-playing rather than simply "gaming" the system.

PastramiX's review is so spot-on, it's actually a little scary.

I’m about the same place. Totally agree. I’ve been pleasantly surprised especially after reading some of the earlier post. Disagree here. The minigames are crap in my opinion. Haven't really found the minigames that difficult just find the Electronic Bypass kind of juvenile. It has that back in nursery school feel to it.

The computer hacking minigame sucks, one of the worst minigames I've ever seen. I failed the first one like 6 times before giving up. I only played for like 20 minutes but overall impression is that combat is garbage.

But my point about the minigame is that if it wasn't so ****, I wouldn't be failing it every time, and I'd be able to enjoy the stealth gameplay more.

Have you guys even invested points in the Sabotage skill? I think I invested 4 points there, and the minigames were a breeze after that (except lockpicking, which was ruined by the control scheme). I actually came to love the hacking minigame, and the electronic bypass one was too easy, it should have been scrapped.

Also, buy EMP grenades, if you can't do the minigames FFS. They come cheap compared to what you earn, and you don't have to go through the minigames then. I like how people nitpick on trivial flaws for a game like Alpha Protocol while not noticing the massive gaping holes in Mass Effect and its sequel.

I’m holding off judgment on the rest until I get further along. It has been alright, but so far it hasn’t been a game that makes me want to stay up all-night playing it.

After I came to finishing the first city (after Saudi Arabia, I mean, that was just silly), the game became crazy addictive.

Something I noticed early, too. Stealth in AP seems to be centered entirely on evading line of sight and crouching, since I couldn't make out any shadow-cover system, if there was one. I dropped Stealth pretty early on and went on to be a balls-to-the-wall mercenary shooter.

*snip*

Agreed on everything!

Took me a good dose of patience to get in to work properly, but after that...

I'm playing a bit Ethan Hunt-ish. A mix of shooting, melee knock outs and sneaking around.

And, like you said, after Arabia it becomes CRAZY addictive.

The possibilities are just so great...you can use your intell to extort, send it to the papers, etc. And the little gifts or trophies you get from enemies and allies that are stored in your room are just brilliant.

And the conversation options were brilliant. Where in Kotor you could sometimes ruin rep in an instance, you can apologize and all. Works almost like real life. The reply from the NPC's helps here too. Everyone has a different character.

Good to know, DarthParametric, thanks. :)

I had seen the Reputation editor listed but I am not a paying member. I really wondered if I could get my Assault Rifle to shoot Tranqs as the Pistol does.

In regards to Stealth, it's Range based, all your upgrades Reduce the Vision and Sound of the AI, once you crouch there is an immediate 50% reduction. You can see the Edits for this in APGame.ini and also you can see things like CritHit time.

PlayerSneakingEnemyVisionPercent

I like how people nitpick on trivial flaws for a game like Alpha Protocol while not noticing the massive gaping holes in Mass Effect and its sequel.
Funny I would say the same thing about the Bioware haters. I would love for AP to be a great game, but the bugs and minigames just make that impossible. There is nothing trivial about the flaws with the minigames. Concept, design and implication all are epic fails. I went back and tried again tonight thinking that maybe I was failing to give Obsidian the due credit. However, I am just as frustrated with the minigames and they are ruining the entire game for me. Add to that the two crashes I’ve had on the 360 making me have to go back to the same stupid terminal I’ve just hacked and I’m about ready to throw this poor excuse for a game in the nearest dumpster. BioWare games may be predictable and lack the story telling of Chris Avellone, but at least they are playable.

I would love for AP to be a great game, but the bugs and minigames just make that impossible. There is nothing trivial about the flaws with the minigames. Concept, design and implication all are epic fails. I went back and tried again tonight thinking that maybe I was failing to give Obsidian the due credit. However, I am just as frustrated with the minigames and they are ruining the entire game for me.
What's your rank in Sabotage? If it's fairly low, then yes, hacking can be a bit challenging. But even using an Xbox controller, hacking is a cakewalk. It's like Adult Where's Waldo (:dev14:); just look for the characters that aren't scrolling, and match that with the two strings. It takes some effort, and while it's a bit of a nuisance, it can be done; it isn't a game-breaking paradigm. Regardless, most hacking encounters are completely optional, and for the ones that are mandatory, just use EMP grenades; they're there for a reason.

The other two minigames are also rudimentary; keypad bypassing is a line maze, and lockpicking is vertical Frogger. The keypad includes finding the input, following the line towards the output, and selecting the correct output in the correct order. It's simple, and while it does create a bit of havoc jumbling three overheads at once, it's not too frustrating if you can discern between patterns.

Lockpicking is just pressure and time-sensitive reflex bouts; you move the pins in the right order, lock them all in place, and voila; the door is open. On the PC, it's more difficult since you have to nudge the mouse to either an extreme up or down. However, the Xbox controls are much more intuitive; the left trigger applies pressure, the right trigger sets a pin in place. Unless if someone has Parkinson's, then this is essentially a reflex mechanism, and nothing more.

I really wondered if I could get my Assault Rifle to shoot Tranqs as the Pistol does.
The assault rifle can use subsonic rounds, which effectively acts as a silencer, but that's it. The pistol is the only weapon that can do non-lethal takedowns (besides smacking them in the face). There's no editor I am aware of that makes changes like that. Maybe there is something in the INIs somewhere.

There is nothing trivial about the flaws with the minigames. Concept, design and implication all are epic fails. However, I am just as frustrated with the minigames and they are ruining the entire game for me.

I'm doing a replay of AP now and guess what, I can do the hacking minigame within 10 seconds even without any skill in Sabotage. Since you're playing on the Xbox, you can't even complain about lockpicking and electronic bypass, so there.

I really don't get the people who say the hacking minigame is hard - you even get a headstart. Just before the game starts, all letters are frozen and then start spinning, you should get at least one right away. For the other, just keep scanning until you find it and lock it in.

If anything about this game is a cluster****, it's the reception.

I for one don't have a problem with the minigames. Yeah, the hacking is the most challenging and can be really hard on the eyes, but I've rarely failed in it.

My beef is with the rest of the gameplay - I already said which game it reminds me of in my previous post - and the many performance issues that shouldn't exist in a game with visuals that are average at best (excluding the character models). The story was also very disappointing and mostly predictable. I guess I simply expected something completely different from a game advertised as an "Espionage RPG".

I'm doing a replay of AP now and guess what, I can do the hacking minigame within 10 seconds even without any skill in Sabotage. Since you're playing on the Xbox, you can't even complain about lockpicking and electronic bypass, so there.

I really don't get the people who say the hacking minigame is hard - you even get a headstart. Just before the game starts, all letters are frozen and then start spinning, you should get at least one right away. For the other, just keep scanning until you find it and lock it in.

If anything about this game is a cluster****, it's the reception.

Completely agree. I sometimes fail, but I always spot that first one right on. Not that hard on PC, without points in sabotage.

I took a break from not sleeping long enough to come into work today. Since I can't play AP, I guess I might as well talk about it.

Re: bugs - there is some texture flickering in Greybox (multiple doors rendered one on top of the other). Also, the "reload causes enemies to disappear" thing is a little sad to see. Other than that, so far so good. AP has been a relatively bug-free experience for me.

Re: minigames - they are different. Locking picking isn't that hard and circuitry is kinda fun. Hacking was incredibly intimidating at first. Due to lots of practice, practice, practice, they're all fairly easy (obvious exception to the higher level stuff I saw in Taiwan. I hope that doesn't become the norm :(). I give Obs credit for creativity. One gripe I do have is that there isn't a skill-based work around for any of them (I'm reminded of the dueling minstrel show in NWN2 - my PC is supposed to be good with music, not me!). I wish putting points into a skill made the puzzles easier, rather than adding time. Meh.

Re: Story/Writing - loving it so far, but obviously there is a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong before the end. Steven Heck is hilarious. The TV dialog is very Bloodlines-esqe (as is the smirk animation I've seen about a million times on Smiling Jack and Jeanette). I'm not sure how enjoyable this game would be for someone that didn't follow U.S. politics. I can't help but feel that 30-somethings were the intended audience (video killed the radio star).

Re: gameplay - I'm a stealth guy, so I can't comment too much on the shooting (I rarely use my gun and only have about 3 points invested in Pistols). The stealth itself is fun. Some of the skills seem a little unrealistic, but then again, this is a video game. Love that I get XP for avoiding fights. I wish there was a little more variety to the takedown animations, but again, not going to complain too much.

I do feel as though there are some missions where stealth is almost impossible and that kinda seems to fly in the face of the whole "we're going to let you play however you want" thing I kept reading about (for example, there were parts of Konstanin's mansion that you just couldn't get through without a fight).

Re: dialog/"the stance system": For the most part pretty straightforward. I do feel as though I've been "mass effected" a couple of times (i.e. *eyes bug out* "I didn't realize that option was going to lead to THAT line of dialog").

That's it for now. I'll add more as I get further.

Archived