Home

Beowulf: the Movie

Aash Li

So I watched this last night on ppv... it was ok.

The guy who played Hannibal in Silence of the Lambs (dennis hopper?), played the first king. He did a pretty good job for his relatively short role. Otherwise, the movie really wasnt that great. The girl who played Echidna (mother of Grendel, I think thats her name), has a rather nice figure. But where the heck did they get all the other girls? Theyre all so... homely. lol Also, it looks like a lot of the people had cgi editing to make them look like they did... cause several of them didnt even look real.

The ending was ok I guess, I fairly expected him to toss the horn into the sea, or gut Echidna, but know, he just stands there scowling.

So, since I watched this and Hitman fairly recently, I would have to say that Hitman was a much better movie.

Anthony Hopkins, Dennis Hopper, they both look kinda similar at their age. >.> And atleast I got the reference correct.

Your mocking laughter wasnt appreciated...

As for the original story, I kinda figured they butchered it. Im just wondering how badly they did. Its been a very long time since I read it.

It slaughtered the original story it was based on.

That is the major reason I did not like the movie as much as I would have. As far as how much they butchered the story, coming from the Anglo standpoint and what they were trying to achieve with their heroes at the time, the movie deviated quite a bit from the original idea. I suppose it would be more enjoyable to those who haven't read the book.

-Gsccc

The graphics were pretty good, but I wasn't a big fan of this. It slaughtered the original story it was based on.
QFT.

I didn't like Grendel's model, either. They should have made him scarier. He IS supposed to be a demon thing, after all.

Still, the part where Beowulf smashed the door on Grendel's arm and shouted his taunts was very, very Beowulf-like. :D

I rather liked the movie. I went back and read over the original story and there were some artistic liberties taken in the movie, but I felt it did justice to its spirit. The original was rather one-sided IMHO. I prefer to see "what-ifs" and heroes that are, above all else, HUMAN. Beowulf did that much wonderfully.

In comparison, I saw another movie the same day that was based on a book...I Am Legend. I felt that Beowulf was the better adaptation of an original piece of literature of the two.

Hmm would I have liked it, had I not known of the original. Probly. Im a fan of bad scifi and cheesy fantasy. lol

That was Angelina Jolie? O.o Her lips werent huge and puffy... still, she has a nice figure. >.>

I Am Legend, that was a remake of a remake of an adaptation to a novel... so, Im not surprised it wasnt that great.

I never read the book, so I can say I liked the general plot. I mean this uber badass who is in love with his own legend has a weakness for hot mythical creatures...I can sympathize.

Other than the plot though, it all felt sort of bland. I wanted to really appreciate it, but it just didn't hit the mark as well as it could have. And don't even get me started on the Grendel fight. I mean, I know that in the book he fought au natural, but jeez, give the guy a loincloth or something. That should have been one of the movie's highlights but it ended up looking like a protracted and violent Austin Powers scene where you're not 100% sure your not going to see some wobbly bits.

Archived