Home

Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?

Darth_Yuthura

Is TOR as satisfying to people as KOTOR III?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Is TOR as satisfying to people as KOTOR III?

• It's an ending and I'm glad that they will continue from TSL.
    • Being 300 years too late killed the story.
    • Couldn't care less. The gameplay is what matters.
    • There's absolutely no way to know until TOR actually comes out.

SW01 posted very well i think imho

A few days ago, I would have whole-heartedly agreed. But BioWare have been clear that this will not be a standard MMO. If they manage to implement half of what they promise, it may be worthwhile.

I think in the long run it will depend on the attitudes of those playing. If people set out to ruin it for us, the MMO will, likely, be awful. If everyone plays it properly, who knows?

Let's be cool and wait and see, there is a HUGE effort going on here by Biowar, they have committed incredible resources and all their integrity and mojo to make this an awesome sequel and continuation of a much beloved segment of the SW universe....so lets give them a chance to do their thing and share with us as they are, they are being very open and candid and clearly both BioW and LucasA are really working hard to make a masterpiece. It takes time. :) Let's see what they do.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think TOR will be nearly as good as the original KoTOR games were and more importantly, I don't think it's a conclusion to the series as this game will probably have very little to do, story-wise, with the KoTOR games. We'll just wait and see, I guess. :(

I don't think TOR will be nearly as good as the original KoTOR games were and more importantly, I don't think it's a conclusion to the series as this game will probably have very little to do, story-wise, with the KoTOR games. We'll just wait and see, I guess. :(

My thoughts exactly. Under normal circumstances I would be ecstatic that this game was being made. But I wish they had not said "The wait is over" The wait for what? A totally random game?

Surely they couldn't mean the KOTOR series because then it would have been called Knights of the Old Republic III. Apparently this is their way of giving us a K3. I am glad they made this, but why not just make a continuation to the KOTOR series? Obviously that is what they were aiming for...but 300 years? Not much of a continuation...the KOTOR centered around Revan, Exile, and had tradmark charaters like T3 and HK. This game looks like it will have none of that. It does not have the stuff that defines KOTOR and makes it stand out from other SW stuff.

IMO, I don't think they can fairly call it a continuation, unless they finish the ending of K2. What about Revan etc? I don't think it will be nearly as good either. I'll have to see more before I decide whether I want it or not. I appreciate the time and resources Bioware has put into this, but lets face it - when we thought of a continuation of KOTOR we thought "oh, Revan, Exile and the true sith" not "oh, hundreds of years later with totally new people and storyline."

Oh, well. I guess I just don't understand why they just would not make a continuation of te series. There are mixed feelings about this game, and a real KOTOR 3 would probably have made more money. *sigh* I just don't get it...why are they so adament about not making a true K3?:confused:

~HOP

HOP the problem is that TSL kinda killed Revan's story. They booted him off to "Unknown Space" to get rid of him without officially killing him(because the revan worshippers would whine). The period after the Exile had left, virtually no jedi are left. TSL kinda killed the Knights part of it. So until more jedi are around it would be hard to justify KotOR3.

I personally am not bothered at all with this game and although I'm disappointed about the lack of K3 I'm hardly surprised that LA have come up with yet another money spinner rather than what would probably have concluded the KOTOR series, which seems to be a more logical thing to do rather than start yet another storyline in yet another era. Ah well...

I personally am not bothered at all with this game and although I'm disappointed about the lack of K3 I'm hardly surprised that LA have come up with yet another money spinner rather than what would probably have concluded the KOTOR series, which seems to be a more logical thing to do rather than start yet another storyline in yet another era. Ah well...

I think it would be too hard to make sequels that make sense to a series like KOTOR, due to the multiple, drastically different endings in both Knights of the Old Republic and The Sith Lords. No matter which direction you go in a sequel you're bound to piss someone off, making them feel like nothing their characters did in the past two games matter.

Sure, with both Dei Ex Machina from the past two games shipped off into the unknown never to be heard from again (in the light ending at least) it could focus on (yet) another new character with a separate story with no solid connection to the previous two, but then it wouldn't be much of a sequel. :)

I agree with that to a certain extent. Maybe, because TSL was finished several years ago, LA considered a, KOTOR 3, a step backwards rather than forwards. I really don't know why they went with TOR, only that they (Lucas Arts, Bio ware) seem to be satisfied with there decision. It seems to please most people, that is. I'm happy with it...

Originally Posted by stoffe

I think it would be too hard to make sequels that make sense to a series like KOTOR, due to the multiple, drastically different endings in both Knights of the Old Republic and The Sith Lords. No matter which direction you go in a sequel you're bound to piss someone off, making them feel like nothing their characters did in the past two games matter.

Happens to me all the time....

I personally think that a sequel should be better than it's prequel. Topping Kotor is not the easiest of things to do.

I think it's a good idea that TOR takes placed 300 years after TSL. That way, they don't have to screw up the story if they don't want to. (Unlike Warcraft 3 -> World of Warcraft). Hopefully, Revan's and the Exile's fate remains a mystery.

I'm curious how Bioware is going to attempt to tell a story in a MMO. I'm certain that it won't be as good as any good RPG in that regard, still,...

If you don't believe me, ask the people that are still waiting for Warcraft IV.

lol, that was me for a very long time, until I finally gave up along the lines of two years ago. :p

I'm a bit undecided on this one. At first, I was dissapointed at no KotOR3. But then I started to think. Even though the storyline of TSL was fantastic, I didn't really like the situation which it left off; Exile and Revan off to fight sith Empire, Exile's companions off to rebuild Jedi, Republic recovering from Jedi civil war.

I like how I can play this for as long as I want, and as the story can't be as good as KotOR 3 would have been, it has more depth and opportunity to it.

That would make the game have to last for 300 years at the minimum. They don't have to tell what happened in that 300 years, just leave it a mystery.

That could be true. The Sith could be one everyone's good side because for the last 300 years they made a cover-up story about the Jedi.

I know, the original two KotORs sucked because I knew the Emperor was going to be killed in RotJ.

No, the KOTOR's didn't suck, but it sure made the first three episode a lot less exciting >.>

I have to admit, while some aspects of the premise behind TOR sound interesting and I hope it does well, I also feel like others here that this is not a true sequel or continuation of the KOTOR series at all, it's rather a different series set roughly in the same time period (similar to the Darth Bane series of books). I would have no problem with it if it would involve K3 coming out as well, but since this is it, then I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed at the moment.

For me, this would be like the movie saga ending with ESB (which the ending of TSL always felt to me to be similar to) and shooting straight into the Legacy era of SW, just informing us somewhere in Cade Skywalker's adventures that Vader turned back to the light due to his son, killed Sidious and the Rebellion won. And I think most would feel that would have sucked, rather then seeing the movie trilogy completed. And I feel the same way over this, though some of the potential of TOR sounds interesting with KOTOR they had the makings of a story that was at least just as good as the original movie saga, and they've effectively killed it and allot of the great characters in it mid-way, without us being able to follow that story to it's conclusion.

Anyhow, I hope this MMO does achieve what it sets out to do (as it is effectively carrying the KOTOR flag), but I'll always be bitterly disappointed that they never finished the KOTOR trilogy.

Who was the antagonist in KotOR? What happened to him?

Who was the antagonist in TSL? What happened to them?

Now answer Who the antagonist in ANH and ESB were and what happened to them at the end of those films.

That is how the analogy to ESB is flawed. See in both the previous games the antagonist in the stories was killed by the end of the game. In the movies, the antagonist was killed in the last movie(by a prior antagonist). The protagonist in the first game never made it past a cameo in the second. So to be totally fair, TSL wasn't a continuation of KotOR. TSL was more like jumping from ANH to Legacy era.

That's not entirely true, at the back of both KOTOR and TSL is references to a greater threat in the Unknown Regions, in K1 we were told the Council suspected something was behind the Mandalorian Wars and consumed Revan and Malak, and Canderous tells you that the Sith were the ones who came to the Mandalorians with the offer to fight the greatest war of their era initiating the Mandalorian Wars. In TSL this thread is picked up and throughout that game we are told Revan went off to fight a greater threat then the current Sith that you are facing, which Keira eventually revealed this to be the 'true Sith' Empire that was waiting in the Unknown Regions and had been manipulating allot of the events and enemies encountered in the first two games (much like the Emperor is only referenced in ANH in which the big threat was the Death Star which was destroyed in that movie, and then only shown in a hologram in ESB, being only fully revealed in ROTJ), with the expectation that the true enemy hinted and further revealed in the first to games would be revealed fully in K3 in the same way.

So I would say there is a continuing enemy throughout the KOTOR series (which will survive to TOR apparently), so I still view it as a trilogy cut short by this jump to TOR

The wise course of action would be to ignore this thread altogether, but so long as I ignore others... so I won't directly quote or make reference to anyone from now on.

My greatest reason for disliking this MMO is because it is NOT the expected conclusion that was implied at the end of TSL. It is placed 300 years into the future... long after all everything established in the first two are left in limbo indefinitely. 300 years is not a significant enough time that they could leave the possibility open for a true KOTOR III.

Before this was introduced, the cliffhanger of TSL was at least open to the imagination. Now even the imagination has been killed off because this MUST explain where Revan and the Exile left off. The thing that I despise is that Lucasarts used only enough of KOTOR content to call this the conclusion if it succeeds. If it fails, they could say it's completely independent of the original two and it would not ruin that franchise any more than the ending to TSL being incomplete.

This is all speculation, but no sources, no facts, and anyone could chose not to believe any of this.

TOR and KOTOR III are NOT the same, but TOR as it is known explicitly declares that Revan and the Exile leave and never return. Then 350 years later, the enemies they went out to fight invade and conquer the Republic. This means that the climactic end to KOTOR is that the heros died or were converted.

But like in KOTOR you can imagine yourself what happened with Revan and the Exile...also it could be the emperor they did say he prolonged his life

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone on this issue. I was very saddened not to see KOTOR III but I was frustrated that Lucasarts carved in stone that the spectacular ending I was anticipating would never be. I could understand that they would change the game from RPG because an MMO would be more profitable, but to set the game 300 years in the future?

I know I've already made my opinion known, but there was a 4000 year window that they could have used and to choose 300 years was just too close to KOTOR era for me. If they had chosen... 1000 years later, then I would have been satisfied to think that KOTOR ended positively, even if they didn't make the third game. Any timeframe greater than 15 years, but less than 500 years is too close to the KOTOR era.

I say again that the ONLY way I would be interested in the MMO is if they change the setting from 300 years to <15. That's all there is to it for me.

Archived