Home

TOR wish-list

Jae Onasi

Blame work being slow for a post this long. I had waaaaay too much time to work on this instead. :D These are in no particular order of importance, though I can do that if someone is interested in that.

1. Good story. I have absolutely no idea how you can merge RP concepts of your personal decisions having an outcome on the story with an MMO, but if you can, great.

2. A character like Jolee who makes lots of pithy comments. I adore Jolee.

3. Something that isn't a bandwidth hog. My entire family wants to play this game when it comes out, and if all 4 of us are on the internet at the same time, it could be a little problematic if the game requires a lot of resources. Also, we'd like to not be viewed as some shady kind of bot site because all 4 of us happen to be playing from the same IP at the same time.

4. Something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg every month. A multiple account discount (within reason) would be very nice for us families.

5. A good story

6. A character like Jolee

7. Many great lines for HK-47, because I want to double over laughing like I did in both Kotor and TSL.

8. Raphael Sbarge--his voice is just too sexy not to be included somewhere. Make some Onasi descendant for him to voice.

9. Thoughtful romance arcs, more along the lines of female Revan/Carth, and less like the "OMG, I like you, let's go suck tonsils in the cargo hold!" male Revan/Bastila version. However, make it optional, because some people hate romance, including my 11 year old who thinks anything remotely romantic is Bad and kissing is Evil And Of The Devil.

10. Multiple planets and environments to explore.

11. Lots of quests to help people level up. I'd rather do a lot of quests and minimize grinding. Killing monsters just for xp purposes gets boring very quickly.

12. A nice tropical planet to play on. I live in the US version of The Great White North. If I want a Hoth environment, all I have to do is look outside my window in January. I'd rather think about tropical beaches in January and escape my Real Life rather than be reminded of the fact that I'm ignoring the snow that should be shoveled off my walk.

13. A good story

14. More Jolee-type dialog. (On a tangent: Jolee's ghost is called forth. "You're asking for advice from someone who's been dead, what, almost 300 years? Do I look like I care what silly little war you young people have gotten into this time? Now, shoo!! I want my sleep, damn it!"

15. NO twitch-based combat, please. I'm an Auld Pharte. I hate button-mashing. I got my quota 25 years ago burning out 3 Atari controllers playing Asteroids, Pac-man, and Circus Atari. If I want an FPS, I'll go get Crysis. Besides, I need a system where my extra 'life experience' will give me a bit of an edge over my kids. I never want to hear them say, "LOL, we so pwned Mom!!" If you have to have twitch-based FPS stuff somewhere to keep the hyper-generation happy, at least make it an optional quest or something.

16. Skills that can either be changed out easily (a la Guild Wars) or are always available for use (a la Lord of the Rings Online)

17. Good story.

18. Lots of Jolee-type quips (you may be sensing a theme here....)

19. Models for our characters that are somewhat realistic. Yes, I know it is Video Game Rule #1 that all females must have a 500EEEEEEEEE cup size to attract horny 13 year olds, and thus the only choice in breast size is either 'huge' or 'even more huge'. Please give some kind of PC model where I'm not wondering if her bra is going to explode off into the Unknown Regions at any moment. A B-cup would be sufficient. While you're at it making 'hawt girlz', please make some cute guys. since we're usually looking at the characters from behind, cute buns would be most welcome.

20. Multiple camera views and the ability to zoom out. This is not just to facilitate full viewing of said male buns above, but because first-person view makes me feel a bit ill. An over-the-shoulder or top-down view would be really nice.

21. Some laptop support. Yes, I take my laptop to conferences. Yes, during the really boring lectures that don't apply to me anyway, I sit in the back row and play MMOs on the hotel's wi-fi.

22. Keep PvE and PvP separate. I have to work in and out of the home to support my gaming habit. I don't want to have to fight a group of college guys on summer break who have nothing better to do than spend all their waking hours perfecting their Killer Skillz to take down us lesser mortals. There's no way I could keep up with that.

23. A system where the quests are short enough, or places in the open world or an intances where we can safely stop if needed. I don't want to die because I had to dash off to take care of a kid crisis or get a bio-break.

24. Some well-varied character customization. Weapon and armor customization would also be nice.

25. Add new content periodically.

26. Lots of different classes and races to play.

27. Heroes/henchment/whatever you want to call them so that I can do a lot of things solo if necessary.

28. Servers that aren't over-crowded.

29. If you do have different races, don't kill them with excess penalties. Have a few small bonuses and a few small penalties.

30. Auction house. The buy/sell system in Guild Wars is rife with abuse--I'd like to avoid that in TOR.

31. Ability to craft your own upgrades.

32. Ignore feature and language filter. I do not wish to be subjected to the foul language from a kid who's just discovered that saying the f-bomb repeatedly is the height of humor.

33. Decent looking armor. While the Corollary to Video Game Rule #1 says that the less clothing there is on a female, the greater the AC is, but some of us gals would actually like a little more clothing than pasties and a g-string. We're Jedi, Sith, or Soldiers--not sluts.

34. Please do not make a slut class. Thank you.

35. More Jolee-style dialog and quips.

36. Great story!!!

So, what are you wanting in this MMO?

37. A pilot class, call it a smuggler if you must, but I just want to be a damn pilot, with atmospheric flight being a large bonus.

38. Space combat, if you're not going to have a pilot class, you better damn well at least make it so I can fly my own ship in space.

39. Great story :D

40. Jolee things... :xp:

yea, I'm a little one-sided on the pilot thing....

Great Expectations

1. Dynamic Storyline

- Let stories not stem forth from the fountainhead of the stale and the old, of the boring; but from the class and creed selected by the player, changed by dynamic nature of the game; by the players in competition, by the worlds our character visits, by the property he owns... In all the galaxy, let no one story be repeated for more than one man.

2. Space Combat

- Let the essence of Star Wars, space exploration and combat be an integral component of this enterprise, that the player may own a ship of any size he may prefer: from the utility starfighter to the gargantuan ships by which he may do commerce. Let there be sophisticated gameplay in this, and that what happens in space affects the story greatly: may there be perils in the asteroid belts, in smuggling routes, on planets of the Outer Rim, of supernovas and extraterrestrial creatures.

3. Markets and Black Markets

- That every player may have the right to sell what is his and what is his acquaintance's. That pure profit may be a suitable method of gameplay, as opposed to the fruitless pursuit of good or evil, levels and experience. That thieves may actively steal and sell, smuggling be rife, and crime play as important a role as in any wide-ranging conflict in history. Let the life of a smuggler be one open for the player to take upon; by their own risk.

4. Tournaments

- Let there be tournaments of games galore: Pazaak, swoop racing and duelling at the least. Treasure hunting, space-based races, mayhap even scavenger hunts. Let the community have a direct sense of competition, and rejoice in that.

5. Customization

- Take the path of the Warhammer and let there be great customization is appearance, personality, weaponry and things varied. Let the avatar one plays be the very mirror of one's soul, a virtual entity performing fantastical deeds the player may command: that there be no holds on what options the player has as far as modification is concerned.

6. Dynamic Lightsaber Combat Animations

- That techniques of procedural generation are applied to animations to create fluid, random and inventive animations for lightsaber combat; thereby eliminating the clunky and predictable animation that plagued the second game of the line. Let there be a sense of epicness and unpredictability in combat, as opposed to sheer statistical combat. Let there be entertainment.

7. Regularly Added Fresh New Content

- Let there be new content added regularly, not only in matters of planets and quests, but in drastic changes of previous planets, to make the environment appear unpredictable, ever-changing and flowing. Let there be areas blocked off to a certain group, or volcanic eruptions or torrential flooding.

8. Community Power

- Let the people have power in their hands, by having much of the above-mentioned content created by the people and approved by BioWare-appointed authority. Let there be a plethora of creativity regarding weapons, ships, armours, pets, clothes and whatever else may be imagined.

All above, +1.

EPICNESS.

Ever watched the cut-scene of Force Unleashed going towards the last fight?

He says his farewells, end then...I'll just link it. It just had Star Wars all over it. Can only compare it too the feeling of entering the Star Forge. You know it's going to end...that...story feel. WoW hasn't given it me yet. That cold shiver down your spine. That's all I ask.

Linkie to Force Unleashed:

^

Indeed it was! It was very well executed, but I wonder how cutscenes would be implemented into an mmo, if at all?

Hope BioWare is able to do it -that they get this story element done properly, not relegated to a few silent text boxes...

Something I was thinking of the other day, a minor thing but would be nice - if the Jedi and Sith lightsabres made their distinctive ignition sounds, particularly the hiss of the Sith sabres.

And I also agree with Jae's and Sabretooth's points! :D

Gotta agree with emphasis on story. If they have me running around killing 10 oversized sewer rats for every quest for 1000 quests then I will loath the game with a passion :p

I just hope it doesn't end up as SWG and WoW crammed together and you run around doing tedious tasks on your "trainer's" "to do list", before sending you to another "trainer" who is miles away and you have to walk it because your not the right level to run, or something equally as frustrating <_<

I would like to see piloting, ships, SWG tried it and they did a relatively good job, providing you used the ship in space but then expected you to ride miles out into the tatooine desert to rescue some prat, who tells you he's lost his pen... So you run around looking for his pen and then he tells you that he has called for help and instead of going with you back, he stands there in the desert because ofc hes an NPC ¬.¬

[/ranting] :xp:

I guess I'd also like to see a crafting system, I rather liked SWG's crafting system, though I just like things to be quite complicated. Though whatever, so long as you can make your own stuff I'd be happy :p

I could probably go on all day. ^.^ Though I don't doubt Bioware can pull something decent off. :)

1 - Real Time, not Turn-Based - While I realize this is a pipe-dream, I do adore Real Time fighting, like in an FPS. I'm ok with a Turn-Based system, but I just like Real Time better. This is a wish list anyways.

2 - Piloting - Taking KOTOR and TSL's turret mini-games to the next level. I believe there should be some levels where you can pilot your space-ship around obstacles and debris.

3 - REAL Customization - Once again, taking KOTOR and TSL to the next level. I liked to play as the character that looked most like me. In KOTOR, it was Mr. Mullet, and in TSL it was Jesus/Obi-Wan. In TOR, I want real customization. Taking a base head, and adding features. You have a buzz cut? set your hair length to 0-1(cm, hopefully). You have facial hair? Maybe a whole database full of different types of chin badgers and lip ferrets. (lolwut?) Or, you can make your character unique. Give your character a pink mohawk and a wild untamed beard that looks like it could be a nest for baby owls. (and for some odd reason, you hear chirping throughout the day, as if its right next to you) And this can also go for lightsabers. Do you want an S-Curve emitter shroud lightsaber with its emitter showing like Anakin's? Or do you want an Obi-Wan/Luke style lightsaber hilt, with a lower and upper grip, with the graflex button? Make customization just that; customization. (if that was tl;dr, look at sabre's post. its basically the same thing)

4 - Lightsabers do not hold Pringles - while I realize the sabers have gotten better, they might miss something and have one of the sabers double as a thermos. Although this is just me being paranoid about the sabers. :ninja2:

5 - D4RtH VRDER is not your father - Restrict the freaking naming system! Keep people from having famous names in their names. Commander Qyi-Bon Kenobi is not a good name, and neither is Coda, the Yoda-thing. And, keep one or two capitals, for first and last names. That'll stop Alternating Caps. And no numbers unless your a droid (if that is one of the allowed classes) or a species that uses some sort of naming system in families.

thats my list for now.

1 - Real Time, not Turn-Based - While I realize this is a pipe-dream, I do adore Real Time fighting, like in an FPS. I'm ok with a Turn-Based system, but I just like Real Time better. This is a wish list anyways.

How about a compromise and have a V.A.T.S like system from Fallout 3?

3 - REAL Customization - Once again, taking KOTOR and TSL to the next level. I liked to play as the character that looked most like me. In KOTOR, it was Mr. Mullet, and in TSL it was Jesus/Obi-Wan. In TOR, I want real customization. Taking a base head, and adding features. You have a buzz cut? set your hair length to 0-1(cm, hopefully). You have facial hair? Maybe a whole database full of different types of chin badgers and lip ferrets. (lolwut?) Or, you can make your character unique. Give your character a pink mohawk and a wild untamed beard that looks like it could be a nest for baby owls. (and for some odd reason, you hear chirping throughout the day, as if its right next to you) And this can also go for lightsabers. Do you want an S-Curve emitter shroud lightsaber with its emitter showing like Anakin's? Or do you want an Obi-Wan/Luke style lightsaber hilt, with a lower and upper grip, with the graflex button? Make customization just that; customization. (if that was tl;dr, look at sabre's post. its basically the same thing)

I would like to have my own heads hat I can pick and choose what i want, like the customization options in Fallout 3 and Oblivion, not just 20 or so stock heads.

Mine:

1. In-game music player: Some people might hate me for this, but I'd get tired listening to the same music over and over again. I'd like some sort of control over the music that plays, such as building a custom playlist(s) for yourself while you go off and kill the Sith/Jedi/everything.

2. User-created content: Some mods on certain servers would be awesome. Not just only you can see it, but when you join a server, It automatically downloads whatever mods you don't have, like in Garry's Mod.

3. More weapon Models: I got tired of seeing the same model with different textures in Kotor and TSL. At least some variations. Like if you have a Sith Sniper Rifle, at least give it a scope. And more lightsaber models. Not everyone had the same shape, color, and shininess of lighsabers.

[/Rant]

I'm gonna echo the comment about having my own music... at least as an option. I hate listening to the same music over and over and over and over and... you get the idea. I have a library of music that would last years. It would be nice to at least get to hear something different once in a while. Fire up my PVP music and get to blastin. Most of my games I find a song that fits it and I do better. Somebody better pray I don't find an online game that fits Bach.

1. That this whole stupid endeavor gets ****canned and the Lucasarts board of directors all die in a grease fire.

Well, since neither of those possibilities is very likely, my wishes are:

1) That it at least provides an acceptable conclusion to the KotOR2 cliffhanger and does an adequate job of tying up all of the loose ends while delivering a decent story of its own and awesome gameplay.

2) In the event that the above conditions (which are quite reasonable, IMO) are not met, I hope that the game sucks so bad that LA admits that it made a mistake and proceeds to make a KotOR3 SPRPG (also not likely).

How about a compromise and have a V.A.T.S like system from Fallout 3?

Sounds like a good deal. :)

6 - Apparently The Clone Wars is the new animation standard :\ - If you haven't noticed it by now, you might need some new eyes. Make it a little less like a cartoon, and more like a game. Improve upon what [little] Obsidian did. Make textures not mirrored, but a full face. That way, more detail can be added, and, if they did allow modding, (which I bet they will..) it would help us as well. And please; no low poly models for the excuse "ZOMG UR COMP WON"T BE ABLE 2 TAKE IT!!111!", use as high poly models as you can, instead of the low detail stuff you and Obsidian used.

7 - Story is the Key... - Bioware has expressed how important the story is... but lets compare K1 to TSL. K1 has a better all around gameplay, but TSL has the better story. ZOMG Plot twist and your Revan, and you survived an explosion that was meant to kill you. The council replaces your memory... come on. In TSL, you wake up in an abandoned mining facility, and you have to fight through hoards of frenzied droids, just to land on a dying planet in jail. Doesn't that just spell awesome? Hire someone with a really good talent for stories to write the story, while Bioware/LA makes the plot.

8 - ...Not the Uber-Saber of Pwnage +9000 you got from a mission from the mage outside of your house -

Part 1: Items aren't the most important part, only a small part.

Part 2: Super-Advanced AI. While your on Courscant, the people of Tython continue to do what they normally do. Kind of like what Fable 2 did. And don't have people just sitting in the same place for 12 months, waiting for you to talk to him. He has to clean his house!

[Possibly] more to come.

7 - Story is the Key... - Bioware has expressed how important the story is... but lets compare K1 to TSL. K1 has a better all around gameplay, but TSL has the better story. ZOMG Plot twist and your Revan, and you survived an explosion that was meant to kill you. The council replaces your memory... come on. In TSL, you wake up in an abandoned mining facility, and you have to fight through hoards of frenzied droids, just to land on a dying planet in jail. Doesn't that just spell awesome? Hire someone with a really good talent for stories to write the story, while Bioware/LA makes the plot.

Actually I think the KotOR II story was crap, but the premise was quite good. The actual intended story would have surpassed KotOR I but that wasn't what made it into game. I like how Bioware handled the introduction in Mass Effect. The story was good all the way through. I thought Mass Effect was very MMO like. Personal preference would have been to have Mass Effect as an MMO, and Bioware do KotOR III, but oh well... I mean you could be on either the Reaper side or the Citadel side. Reaper side has Krogan, Geth, and indoctrinated(maybe even Batarian). Citadel side has Human Asari Turian and Salarian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For during the intro it to say:

"Screw an MMO, this is a TSL sequel"

And it is a TSL sequel, not a stupid MMO

If not possible, I'd like to see Revan die in a humorous way so all the fanboys start crying, OR you have to kill Revan, and the fanboys get pissed off real bad.

• 2 weeks later...

First and formost i'd like to actully use all my party members and not just two of them at a time. ofcorce having 10 at a time is a bit too much but i'd perfur at the most 5 players in a group, this will fit better with commando/soldier roles. Perhaps some roles can have more in their group then other?

and or leveling up allows more character to join your party(like becoming a squad commander you can gain 6-8) but i think that some roles should have less than others.

I'd like to see a "being cut from the force" as a punishment ingame, making the character start at 1 and choose another profession, then after some odd levels more(needs to be fairly high imo) the can repersue the force.

i'd defantly like to see more then just humans as players, i'd like specific and vast amount of races to chose from(more then galaxies offered at the very least) and some good bonuses and proper penalities, aswell as a choise of distingushing humans from near humans in abilities and penalties.as there are differently do some degree.

since the game is under a 'cold war' i'd like the game to be completely user driven story, where the players deside the story.

If you have the rank of jedi knight, perhaps you can take in a youngling for a padawan for your party. instead of recruiting rifraft you encounter that 'appear' to be connected...

Same for high ranked sith and taking in an apprentice.

player owned ships and vehicles are a must, as well as space battles. perhaps have a side option to instantly travel or fly yourself.

Edit: ad ofc more and better lightsaber/melee animations.

and more melee forms, and hand to hand combat forms

Archived