Home

A Thread In Which We Commit Gamer Assisted Suicide (Confess Unpopular Gamer Opinions)

Boba Rhett

I can't really say which Tomb Raider is the best ever, considering I haven't played all of them, but the best of what I played was definitely Anniversary. Legend and Underworld are just too short. I'm actually surprised you didn't have that impression on Underworld. Not to mention that for some reason Underworld has no Cinematics menu, which I loved in both Anniversary and Legend, nor does it have any form of freeroaming through the Croft Mansion.

I'm sorry, I should rephrase. From what I've heard/read/seen the other games, Underworld is the best. :)

I don't really mind short games, personally, 'cuz it takes me longer to finish games than other people. ;)

The lack of a cinematics menu is definitely annoying, as you said, but that's what YouTube's for! :lol:

I've never had the option to free-roam through Croft Mansion, so I can't complain about that. ;)

I was commenting on the story/gameplay, mainly. :)

Sorry, my statement was rather vague.

Edit: Okay, I do have one complaint. There's no replay level option, just revisit level. It's annoying having all the puzzles already solved. :/

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather they just release sports games every few years and then perhaps expansion packs and roster updates every year.
It would be so great if they'd change to this format. I would definitely get Madden if I knew a new one wasn't coming out later this year, it's like I don't want to pay full price for it but by the time a price drop comes around, the new version is already out.

Consoles suck, PCs truck.

QFT

Consoles can DIAF for all I care.

Temple of Elemental Evil - Some developers at Atari (I think), had wet dreams about how much they could milk DnD nerds for if they copied the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series. Only they failed miserably at pretty much everything in the game, except the art. I remember it being pretty. But everything else was headdesk-worthy. Getting into buildings and opening things were annoying cause you had to click on a tiny symbol, movement was clunky and the UI was a joke.

In the voice of the Comicbook Guy from Simpsons: "Worst. Game. Ever."

Zork: How do I turn on the graphical version? I want to see the grue!! hehe

While ToEE by Trokia does have its' faults. Namely the poor QA by Atari. ToEE is widely known as the best conversion of its' PnP rule set converted to a CRPG (3.5E). By the way the original ToEE was 1st edition ruleset.

I love how people bashing the OC of NWN think that it's GAS. When that is majority (~80%) of the people that have played the OC that opinion if the game.

Consoles suck, PCs truck.

QFT

My opinions:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the all-time greatest RPG EVER

KOTOR is the greatest RPG since FFT

KOTOR II is a terrible game. It was never completed, I don't care who says what, any sentient being can play through it and figure out that it just didn't receive an appropriate amount of tlc. Obsidian, I had great hopes for you, but this game ruined them for me.

Halo is not the greatest shooter in existence.

WoW is fun....when you have a group of rl friends to play with.

Now, don't get me wrong, I defend anyone's right to play it, and I can understand how hardcore turn-based combat gamers would love them, but to me, it's just a huge waste of time.

The only turn-based Final Fantasy (I'm not counting Tactics or any other spin-offs) game is X, so your assumption isn't accurrate at all.

And according to your view, isn't any game a waste of time?

I'm confused. Does this statement indicate a negative or positive opinion of TFU?

Should be negative.

WoW is fun....when you have a group of rl friends to play with.

So true, when I had a bunch of friends playing retail, it was pretty fun. Within days of one of us getting banned we had all abandoned retail and moved to private. Private was probably one of the most fun video game experiences Ive ever had, and like retail, as soon as two people got banned, we were all off of wow within a week. Its just not fun if you cant get a bunch of tree druids from both sides and run around lowbie areas confusing people

Leak or no: until it is released, :wid::gun7: is nothing but an over-hyped, taunting lie.

Quoted for Great ****ing Justice. I used to be one of the greatest advocates of patience on the matter, but now even mine is wearing thin. It's been long enough, and they've made absolutely zero visible progress in the past year and a half. What could be taking them so damned long? Seriously?

What could be taking them so damned long? Seriously?

Well, since they appear to have run out of ideas for semi-annual occurances of high drama to use as excuses for no progress, they've been reduced to citing the ever-faithful "real life" excuse, or "RL" as they refer to it over at the threadlock-frenzied ghost town (complete with blowing dust and tumblin' tumbleweeds :p) that is their forum. It's really nauseating.

Did someone say TSL:RP?

Why, of course not. Everyone knows that's been outlawed here, and for good reason. :D

Well, since they appear to have run out of ideas for semi-annual occurances of high drama to use as excuses for no progress, they've been reduced to citing the ever-faithful "real life" excuse, or "RL" as they refer to it over at the threadlock-frenzied ghost town (complete with blowing dust and tumblin' tumbleweeds :p) that is their forum. It's really nauseating.

I love the smell of deserving being exuded by you two. As though these people are being paid by you to perform a service, or otherwise owe you. Which, funnily enough, you aren't and they don't. If you're that fussed by their "laziness", start your own damn project.

End of discussion.

I love the smell of deserving being exuded by you two. As though these people are being paid by you to perform a service, or otherwise owe you. Which, funnily enough, you aren't and they don't. If you're that fussed by their "laziness", start your own damn project.

If they didn't want people to become expectant of them, they shouldn't have made their work publicly known. Period. :carms:

End of discussion.

I quite agree.

I completely agree. I still cannot believe such a heated discussion was started over my opinion.

Flattered? You should be. :D

Just for clarification (not debate) sake

OK, while I really don't want to pick a fight with anyone, I just cannot allow someone who's not from Serbia to presume to "teach" me about my own country's history,
Wasn't my intent at all; sorry if I insulted you.

just as I'm sure none of you would allow me to comment on your countries' histories, when I know nothing about them.
I'd allow it--but I'd probably laugh. All in good spirit of course.

Nikola Tesla, was not a Croatian with a bunch of Serbian heritage. He was a Serb, born in a place called Smiljane, which was all part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the time. His parents were both Serbs, his father was a priest, in fact.
Then I respectfully retract my statement. Statement based on my knowledge from my references that, although well sourced in just about every other aspect, are admittedly sparse in the areas of his heritage. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, in fact. Don't doubt it at all, though out of interest may look for myself-- Don't mind if I do.

You a Tesla fan? If so I'd like to chat. :)

Hollick, actually
Spelling error--MY bad.

Shows how serious I take this. :lol:

TOMB RAIDER....Meheheheh-heh-heheh-heh. Boobs...I just wanna say that again. Boobs. Heh-heh-heh. Once more for good measure, Boobs. Heheh-he-hehheheh-heh.

My GAS statement:

Leak or no: until it is released, :wid::gun7: is nothing but an over-hyped, taunting lie.

*runs*

Hey, teekay: Those gun smilies can serve a useful purpose after all. :D

Agreed. For further emphasis:

Quoted for Great ****ing Justice. I used to be one of the greatest advocates of patience on the matter, but now even mine is wearing thin. It's been long enough, and they've made absolutely zero visible progress in the past year and a half. What could be taking them so damned long? Seriously?

Mine too. Actually, so have I been one of their greatest patience advocates. Talking about it wasn't going to make it come through any faster though so until now I have kept quiet. This is ridiculous, though.

Uhuhuh...Maybe they're all constipated or something...Uhuhuhuh-huh.

Did someone say TSL:RP?

What on god's green earth are you talking about??? OH HEAVENS!!! OF all the ridiculous nonsense, no.

Why, of course not. Everyone knows that's been outlawed here, and for good reason. :D

Exactly. RL-excuses implies (at least to me) lost interests for whatever reasons. Maybe something else, but I don't know for sure since I'm not in their shoes. GAS ran out of gas. That's all.

I got a few more:

SNES Beavis and Butt-Head. Knocking out Todd and Earl, getting to harass the female nurse who tries to attack you with glasses, toppling a 400 pound Cowboy Bob (who swings a big sausage for some strange reason), squirt gunning mall security guards, pestering Tom Anderson, getting whipped by the incredibly hot biker lady, and getting to knock over obese-taser-wielding-barricade-security guards on your way up to the stage for a concert with GWAR.

This game rules. Anybody who says otherwise is subject being stapled by their clothes up on a wall and repeatedly attacked with a plastic "spork".

DOA1 still rules to this day, beeotch!

Namco's entire '80s arcade hits collection--so you wall street analysts who talk about video game trends and say it holds NO interest today whatsoever can bite my hairy @$$!

Mechwarrior was an original and it will always rule. Don't make me call Rikishi or Big Show!

Space Invaders PWNS.

While Super Scope 6 was awesome, its predecessor Missile Command is STILL. THE.ALL.TIME.BEST.EVER.REAL.TIME.INTERCEPTION.TACTICAL.GAME.EVER.PERIOD!

Oh, I know that they don't owe me anything, DI, but OTOH I don't owe them anything, either. Like my continued belief in a charade, once it becomes painfully obvious that that is indeed what it is. People don't like being deceived. I don't think that they're lazy. I just think that they're dishonest. And it isn't even those who shall remain un-named whom I find nearly as offensive as those sadistic bastards who continue to hype and preach to any who will listen that the release date is just around the corner, as it was a year or so ago, and when it turns out that this is not the case, as has happened countless times by now, anyone who dares to question this now quite predictable cycle of events gets slapped down with...

wait for it...

...you guessed it: :wid::snip2:

These are the people to whom I do owe something: my scorn, for they have surely earned it.

I do recognize that you are not part of this group, because all you have ever said is that the mod does indeed exist, which it does, and you have never hyped it. As a matter of of fact I can remember you saying that it was not the second coming of TSL. True that.

I have nothing but the deepest respect for you, DI. You have done nothing but impress me with your wit, wisdom intelligence and maturity since I joined LF over 2.5 years ago. You, sir, are a gentleman, but you need to stop fighting their battles for them. They do not deserve it; they really don't. In all honesty, it pains me to see someone of your obvious caliber dutifully defending these charlatans.

And I have a confession to make. After giving them six months to show some initiative, which of course they did not, and instead, with Dashus' dropping off the grid for three months, they predictably entered once again into high-drama-smokescreen-excuse-mode, I finally had had enough of their BS and downloaded and played through the beta. And I had an epiphany! No wonder they didn't want anyone to play the beta, and such a hissy-fit was thrown by all when it was leaked. Why do you ask? Well, because it would spoil the big, Bioware-esque reveal:

that TSLRP is merely a mod that Silveredge9 could have completed on his own in half the time, folks!

How typical. :dozey:

It makes me wonder if they ever really intended to release it at all, or if they were just going to let this masquerade ball drag on for eternity. Or at least until the beta was leaked. ;)

So, in conclusion: I really don't give a rat's ass whether or not it ever comes out now, but I have no stomach for the continued deception.

End of discussion.

Well, it is now. :D

Missile Command is STILL. THE.ALL.TIME.BEST.EVER.REAL.TIME.INTERCEPTION.TACTICAL.GAME.EVER.PERIOD!

Ya don't say. I have something to show you, my friend.

missilecommandpq0.jpg

Yeah. I'm sitting right next to that even as we speak. th_smiley_cigar.gif

To further GAS myself:

Icewind Dale II: I fell asleep during the first hour of my attempt to play it. I found it so boring I immediately uninstalled it when I woke up and put it in my closet. I was almost physically disgusted by it.

Just don't hit me in the face. It's how I makes my livens.

AAAAAnyway, moving on to another thread related subject...

I give props to that company who attempted to make the Super Mario Bros franchise into an educational game or two. Mario is missing, and Mario's time machine. They did a great job of bringing history lessons into the home on consoles in the early-mid '90s. It was the first attempt to use popular VG icons characters to promote education in gaming, or at least some practical use for systems instead of them just being these little electronic devices we hook up to our "idiot lanterns" and twitter with for hours on end. :D

EDIT: OHHHHHHH! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rhett, you lucky bastard! You truly are a superhero.

[statement]: There are times like these that you make my behavior core glow!

Edit: edit: Nerdgasm! Enviable! I love it!

It makes me wonder if they ever really intended to release it at all, or if they were just going to let this masquerade ball drag on for eternity. Or at least until the beta was leaked. ;)

I agree Q...

We who have been around here in the 04-05 range remember the Galaxy Forge project and if you really have a ton of free time you might be able to find some remnants of that 'event' from way back then.

No more about TSLRP here though, ok folks? While slightly related to the topic it can only serve to heat things up as the people on both sides can't seem to control themselves.

I remember you and D3 citing that years ago when I first joined and I did a search and read everything I could find about it. It was both an entertaining and enlightening read. :)

Yup, I'm trying to spread the info on things like this because many newer posters have no idea that people get their "jollies" by stringing them along with bloated promises. To tell everyone the truth I am personally against WIP threads because of the bad feelings caused by the GF project and others since, I much prefer to lay a new mod upon an unsuspecting populace... far more fun for me that way. ;) -RH

OK, then I'll make another GAS statement:

Baldur's Gate 2 was Bioware's greatest game and, with the notable exception of KotOR, it's been all downhill from there.

Archived