Home

A Thread In Which We Commit Gamer Assisted Suicide (Confess Unpopular Gamer Opinions)

Boba Rhett

I have played some. Maybe half an hour of Halo 2 MP, it seemed pretty standard to me.

It just seems to me that if the MP is the only bit people like (as my brother says when defending Halo) then why include a single player game when they could have spent the resources developing better MP. The Single player (which I did play through a fair few missions of halo 2 (once I got the hang of that stupid controller)) is definitely very poor, well below the standards I have come to expect from a shooter (but then I play most of my games on PC so what do you expect).

These opinions are meant to be controversial aren't they?

The MP isn't the only bit people like. Some people (like me) actually liked the SP. No, it wasn't anything particularly groundbreaking or well done as say CoD4 (which I still hold as the best SP campaign anywhere), but I still enjoyed it.

However, this specific part of your post bugs the living hell out of me...

(but then I play most of my games on PC so what do you expect).

So here's my 2 cents. I hate the PC as a platform for gaming. Because it produces people like you who come across as extremely smug and arrogant simply because "i play on PC."

EDIT: Also...

Jeez, where do I begin with this? I know people who do nothing but sit and play WoW for days on end, until they have to get off thier fat butts and, you know, eat. Breathe. Exercise and keep your heart from clogging with Doritos. Sadly enough, I go to a school for nerds, and even there, the fat guys who play WoW and nothing else are teased for playing it.

Cause you know, everyone that plays WoW is a Dorito gourging lardass, and there's no way it's only a small percentage of players ¬_¬

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw you calling this out in the Very Good Thread, and I was wondering, did you play with 3 other friends? Because that makes all the difference in the world. Of course, to have that as a prerequisite to have fun in a game could be a fault in itself, but me and my regular crew enjoy the hell out of it, and have been playing it since it came out.

Even though there are certain weak links. :xp:

When playing it with some guys from SA, I kept screwing up and they made fun of me. :(

Left 4 Dead.

This game was all over gaming community news as the be all/end all MP game of the decade. Again Zombies, but this time FPS action, and you have to work together to survive. Sounds great on paper, but playing the final product to me seemed more like a Half-Life 2 mod. Very generic, boring, and just not really that fun to play at all. Well it proved one thing. Zombies +Video games = teh suk. Shoot me. Do it!

*Shoots*

You are strange. :loco:

Though I probably am too since I never really got into Guitar Hero. Also, Guild Wars. You can't jump.

I hate all MMOs. They all have the same structure, and it's terrible. People play them because that's the only thing that's out there, and it could be so much better. Not even from a technology standpoint, there are so many pure gameplay decisions that should be different. People do an amazing job creating the enormous worlds, stories, programming, and support for these games, but it's still just the inability to break from the same used formula that keeps MMOs down.

Also, **** The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and it's horrible leveling system.

So here's my 2 cents. I hate the PC as a platform for gaming. Because it produces people like you who come across as extremely smug and arrogant simply because "i play on PC."

I only added that for effect due to the nature of this thread, we are supposed to be provoking a response aren't we?, it wasn't a proper opinion (though I still think that for certain types of games you can't beat a PC)

I think that there are far more people who are smug and arrogant because they have a [insert console here]. In my experience it seems to be the PS3 crowd, they seem to home in on any blog posting about how the wii is doing well and say things like "teh wii is suck coz it is a toy". SO IS THE PS3! Get over it!

DISCLAIMER: I in no way mean all PS3 owners!

My 2 cents.

People will never agree on what makes a good or bad game because we all like different things. This is why I never buy a game based on reviews or other peoples opinions, but my interest in it. I personally don't give a crap if anyone here hates the games I like. If I like them and I've enjoyed them, then that's all that matters.

I only added that for effect due to the nature of this thread, we are supposed to be provoking a response aren't we?, it wasn't a proper opinion (though I still think that for certain types of games you can't beat a PC)

I think that there are far more people who are smug and arrogant because they have a [insert console here]. In my experience it seems to be the PS3 crowd, they seem to home in on any blog posting about how the wii is doing well and say things like "teh wii is suck coz it is a toy". SO IS THE PS3! Get over it!

DISCLAIMER: I in no way mean all PS3 owners!

I don't know if I'd say there's more smug arrogant PS3 owners than PC gamers, but maybe that's just cause I've had to deal with the "Superior PC crowd" for far longer than the PS3 ones.

My 2 cents.

People will never agree on what makes a good or bad game because we all like different things. This is why I never buy a game based on reviews or other peoples opinions, but my interest in it. I personally don't give a crap if anyone here hates the games I like. If I like them and I've enjoyed them, then that's all that matters.

QFE

My 2 cents.

damn right.

FoCom did bad, mainly because of the camera controls, but i thought it was EASY to get into that game. one of the best, at least visually before EAW.

Turok Evolution is the cause of Acclaim's downfall, but i loved that game as well (so many weapons and the intensity NEVER LET UP).

Once you get to a high level of Viva Pinata, I found it unfortuniate that all my animals would not stop killing one another no matter how much I tried to intervine, until I ended up with a hazlenut tree, a whirlm, and Seedos running around barefoot.

&Rhett, trufax on the Mako in Mass Effect. I ran that thing into a ditch like, 12 times and I have pretty much been on 2 planets. =/

Once you get to a high level of Viva Pinata, I found it unfortuniate that all my animals would not stop killing one another no matter how much I tried to intervine, until I ended up with a hazlenut tree, a whirlm, and Seedos running around barefoot.

How much acid do you take on a regular basis?

(actually, i hadnt a clue what in gods name you were talking about since i didnt read "viva pinata")

DLC's piss me off, especially those released only a couple of months after the retail release. No reason they couldn't be included in the original game if they are made that close to the release date. It's just another way to rip people off. I was very dissapointed with the "Bring Down the Sky" and "Knothole Island" DLC's. Both provided only a couple of hours of game play, and were definately not worth the money. Especially annoying and just plain wrong, is exclusive DLC on a particular platform for a multi-platform game. One of the reasons Tomb Raider Underworld didn't sell well was because of the exclusive DLC. Alot of people boycotted buying the game because the DLC will be 360 only, and they are right to do so. Big mistake.

WoW bashing. World of Warcraft is an absolutely awesome game. It sucks you in and doesn't let go, which is a testament to how brilliant it is. Yes it is addictive, and yes addiction is bad, but that is the problem of the individual. If people can't control the amount of time they play it, it's not the games fault. Noone is pointing a gun to their head. I was lucky enough to break myself away from it, but I miss it, badly. And by the way, I'm not fat, I don't eat tons of doritos, I don't have spots, I wash etc etc. I really hate everyone grouping WoW players into some kind of sub-human species. In general WoW players are quite normal, and indeed extremely intelligent. I'm telling you it takes alot of skill to play it to a high standard in a top guild.

WoW bashing. World of Warcraft is an absolutely awesome game. It sucks you in and doesn't let go, which is a testament to how brilliant it is. Yes it is addictive, and yes addiction is bad, but that is the problem of the individual. If people can't control the amount of time they play it, it's not the games fault. Noone is pointing a gun to their head. I was lucky enough to break myself away from it, but I miss it, badly. And by the way, I'm not fat, I don't eat tons of doritos, I don't have spots, I wash etc etc. I really hate everyone grouping WoW players into some kind of sub-human species. In general WoW players are quite normal, and indeed extremely intelligent. I'm telling you it takes alot of skill to play it to a high standard in a top guild.

QFE.

DLC's piss me off, especially those released only a couple of months after the retail release. No reason they couldn't be included in the original game if they are made that close to the release date. It's just another way to rip people off. I was very dissapointed with the "Bring Down the Sky" and "Knothole Island" DLC's. Both provided only a couple of hours of game play, and were definately not worth the money. Especially annoying and just plain wrong, is exclusive DLC on a particular platform for a multi-platform game. One of the reasons Tomb Raider Underworld didn't sell well was because of the exclusive DLC. Alot of people boycotted buying the game because the DLC will be 360 only, and they are right to do so. Big mistake.

Wow Rhett, started like my new favorite thread....I bow to thee? :worship:

leXX makes some valid points here, and I would like to expand on them if I may. DLC. I am not going to dump on that, because I don't think DLC is a bad idea. It depends only on the particular download content we are speaking of. Also, not all DLC has a price tag. Some of it is free, and some of it comes at a fee, and becomes free later. It's not really that different from PC games if you think about it. How many times did you buy a PC game thinking it was all that, and then a few years later, it becomes abandonware (I nab that term from my buddy acdcfanbill....thanks buddeh!) that you can download anywhere for nothing with nothing to worry about. In my personal opinion, DLC expands the life of a game. The biggest example is Halo 3. This game came out almost 2 years ago. I can't keep it in stock. Assassin's Creed came out a year ago, and it is THE MOST top traded in game in my store, because once you finish the game, and achieve all the points, there is absolutely no replay value to the game what so ever. At one point, my store had nearly 100 used copies for 360 alone. DLC seems to be a double edged sword. At one point DLC for Rainbow Six Vegas was free. And it expanded the life of that game so much that I played with my usual gang of idiots all the way up until the day that Rainbow Six Vegas 2 came out. NOW there has been absolutely no DLC for RSV2 other than some lame patches for the existing game. And many of us are disappointed. Now in regards to Rock Band 2, where is the problem? You have the choice to download songs that interest you to expand your library. And having already been a fan of music games such as Karaoke Revolution, Rock Band 2 owns them all in the form of DLC, because it expands on the DLC on top of the content that you could import from Rock Band 1. Brilliant!

Now my piece on MMOs. I can only say so much, because I have never been a part of an MMO. Why have I never been a part of one? I refuse to pay monthly fees for a game I already bought. I don't mind paying for DLC, because it is only one fee. YES, I do pay for xbox live, but I can play ALL my games on that service. Games like WoW, you buy the game, then you have to pay $15 a month to continue to play that game. LAME. For that reason, I never took part of Star Wars Galaxies. I really was excited about that game, but I refused to spend that money just to continue to play that game. In my opinion, that was absurd. Also, most of these games fail. Galaxies failed. Matrix online (another game that interested me) failed. Tabula Rossa failed. Shall I go on? Now. I understand why WoW is still so popular. You pay the server fees, and you have content that is always changing. It is cool to go online with your buddies and raid something, and then find something else to go and raid. I get it. I still refuse to be a part of it. WoW has a subscription bass of 10 million online. Ouch! I will not contest that. I have customers that enter my building first thing in the morning, and they are like drug addicts. Tapping the vein, "I need a WoW card?!" They are hooked. Will this really last? It has held out for almost 4 years now. A lot of people were addicted to Everquest for the same reason. WoW has captured that audience for the time being. They keep it by releasing expansions, and changing the servers. When you have an install bass that large, things like that are easy. I dunno. I am hearing about a Star Wars Knights of the old Republic type MMO. Good luck. It will still take a great deal to get my cheap ass to come into the fold.

Archived