Home

Question about the new 'Badge' system

Kuuki

Sorry Igy, I didn't see your earlier post. But my idea is slightly different than yours.

When an RP is completed, stoffe, or recognised by people beyond the scope of the project as exceptional in quality, the award could be given to the Threadmaster. If it's a completed project, or the Threadmaster wishes to share recognition (which they should be encouraged to do), he or she can designate fellow players whom they feel were instrumental to the development of the story. Those players would then also be given the award. This last bit is to avoid the award being given to people who posted there or four times in the beginning, then dropped out. Unless the Threadmaster feels their contribution was vital enough to also warrant recognition for the final version, it's not really fair to give them a badge for it. If we did that, everyone who's ever posted in an RP could argue their way into getting one, and it would defeat the purpose of having a badge for it at all.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When an RP is completed or recognised by people beyond the scope of the project as exceptional in quality, the award could be given to the Threadmaster. If it's a completed project, or the Threadmaster wishes to share recognition (which they should be encouraged to do), he or she can designate fellow players whom they feel were instrumental to the development of the story.

All right, sounds reasonable enough. The badge has been added; please check if the description sounds OK on the badge listing page, as I've never done any roleplaying and am somewhat unfamiliar with their organization and terminology. :)

People Person - given to members who have <number> or more friends on the forum.

Game Master - for those active in the RP sections. Perhaps there could be a thread every few months for members to nominate the best forum RPs and the member who started the "best forum RP" in that period would get this badge.

The People Person one can be hard to set up guidelines for how it should be given; how would you measure if someone is a friend of someone else? :)

As for the game master one, if it's run as a sort of "contest" a separate contest winner badge could be added for that, if someone would be willing to organize that.

I've noticed there's a new "Helpful" badge. My last suggestion would be that either this one, or the "Notable contributor" badge be also given to members who have contributed to the forums by making a significant amount of avatars/signature images/banners/etc for their fellow members.

Sounds like a "Helpful" act to me. :) Clarification of the criteria for requesting some of the badges has been added in the first post in the nominations thread (the others should get added too once we have some agreement on guidelines). Should hopefully make it somewhat easier to tell who fit into what category.

The People Person one can be hard to set up guidelines for how it should be given; how would you measure if someone is a friend of someone else? :)

I linked to the post because of the RP badge part, but since you asked I guess I should clarify this one:

This was a suggestion of an easily won badge, sort of a starter badge that would motivate people to contribute to the forum in other ways and thus earn those "more significant" badges. The criteria I was going for was the number of friends a member had, referring to the friends tab in that member's profile.

Can badges be lost or taken away? It doesn't seem like any of them would - I mean for example, you either won a [modding/fan-fiction] contest or you didn't.

If we accidentally award the wrong badge to someone (e.g. a roleplaying badge instead of a fan-fic one, or we accidentally misspelled the name of the recipient), then yes, we have the capability to delete the badge. However, if you're awarded a badge for a legit reason, I don't see any reason why they would be taken away, except perhaps in very extreme circumstances like someone getting perma-banned.

Oh, come on. A You Have A Badge In Your Profile badge would be totally useful.

Hmm, how about a "Ubiquitous Member" or "Machiavellian Member" badge? Perhaps something worded a bit less grandiose. Basically, a badge for members who have been observed to regularly post in most sections of LucasForums. "Forum Specter?" (lulz, Floor Inspector.) "Highly Active Member?"

I think there should be an "LF Artist" badge for all of those talented people that post their drawings, paintings etc.

Just my two cents. :)

~HOP

You're right... we actually have plans to encourage the artist community here at LFN... that is if we can manage to get things rolling.

Stay tuned though, a badge for artists will be made just like there is one for fan fics and mods.

I second this motion.

Indeed the Kjo badge should be entitled to the one and only Kjo.

and with that said, that the badge should look like the "oringal" Kjo avatar, in mere honor of his "dastardly" feat. (during that time, of course)

Archived