Home

Monkey Island: Special Edition OFFICIAL!

spiralout

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now it´s my turn. MI: SE has one big disadvantage. The exclusivity of the FM-Towns version is now broken!
What was so exclusive about the FM-Towns version again? AfaIk, it is very similar to the DOS enhanced CD on which the SE is obviously based on. The only exclusive feature I can think of is the Japanese text, unless they are going to add this to the SE as well.
Not so fun when classic mode doesn't have voices.
Will they ever get anything right? I guess, we have to be grateful not to have Adlib only in classic mode. :mad:
It´s official, there is no voice when you switch to the old art :(

Lucasarts replied to my thread over at their official Monkey Island forums.

Weak reasoning by them tough I think.

Very weak indeed. It can't be hard for them to implement independent settings for music, voice and graphics. They still could even implement such a button for switching all together along with the regular setup. Let's hope that this limitation is not part of the script, then there is a chance that ScummVM can have this ability.

I really wish, they would have done the voice acting and live music before they dumped all their talented people. Now they give us completely unnecessary compromises.

I guess, we have to be grateful not to have Adlib only in classic mode. :mad:

Actually the old music is what's used in the "classic mode." Both the new music recordings and the voice acting are only available when you play with the enhanced graphics.

To quote myself from LucasArts:

I think a fantastic job has been done of the new art style, and to be honest I think Guybrush's hair looks fine.

However, for some reason his in-game hair doesn't quite look right when compared to the close-ups and cover art. I think it's a lighting issue, because although he's clearly not meant to be bald on the sides he does actually look bald on the side in-game.

I think this is what bothers people the most, and I've even heard people comparing the look to the Hitler Youth! I think if the lighting were tweaked so it looks more like a smooth continuation of hair rather than side baldness — probably achieved by dampening the excessive dark shadows on the underside of his hair — it'd look absolutely fine.

Still, if the game is officially signed off I guess feedback like this is of no use.

In fact, here's a rushed approximation of the kind of thing I was describing above as I suspect I might not have been entirely clear:

guybrush_hair.jpg

Apologies for double-posting, but here are some screen captures of the MI1SE team's concept sketches for Guybrush (seen in the promo video), in case anyone's interested.

mi1segb1.png

mi1segb2a.png

mi1segb3.png

mi1segb4.png

mi1segb4a.png

(These last two stills, both parts of the same drawing, very much resemble the Telltale Guybrush.)

mi1segb5.png

mi1segb6.png

Finally here's a close-up of Guybrush in the finished game. His hair looks fine here IMHO, but your mileage may vary.

Yeah I noticed that art in the preview video.

Man he sure looks good on the top row there, reminds me of CMI Guybrush more there.

And that Monkey 2, Tales of era artwork looks really good aswell.

He looks quite good in the parrot petting pic, but not as good in this one

http://cache-foo.kotaku.com/gawker/assets/images/9/2009/06/800x600_Guybrush_and_Elaine_Fireworks_SE.JPG

IF only his forhead didn't seem so huge on the sprite in the remake. Almost looks like he's balding.

If only we could convince Lucasarts to add in speech as an option in classic mode.

Even if the game is done, maybe in a patch?

I agree with you Thrik that the main problem is really the ingame SPRITE hair, and the "bald sides" certainly don't help. (The ingame close-ups don't look too bad to me.)

But I'd go a little further than you, though, adding definition to the hairline itself:

thrikhead.jpg

It definitely looks better... but that's still a massive fringe thing he's got going on.

I for one don't have any problem with Guybrus's hair being a little blonder tough. They're obviously trying to tie the art to CMI a little, at least I think they are. Guybrush being taller also points to this I think.

I for one don't have any problem with Guybrus's hair being a little blonder tough. They're obviously trying to tie the art to CMI a little, at least I think they are. Guybrush being taller also points to this I think.

I don't think it's the change, it's just the new look. I don't care about his hair colour or his height, it's just about how the player identifies with the character. CMI made Guybrush look nothing like he did in MI2, but we soon adapted. He certainly wasn't ugly like he is now.

Also: Which over-excitable mod decided to merge the threads? :) It's not like there's many in this forum you need to make room for, lol! What else are we going to discuss? ("No! There can only be TWO threads! ONE per each new game is more than enough!")

It's like that the new Guybrush got a punch in the face :xp: His face is very very strange. The sad think is, like you said, the game is done and there no solution to the problem. By the way... The concept of Guybrush with beard mean that we will have a Monkey 2 remake? :D

Do anyone yet know if the old graphic will have voice and new music? :confused: I hope it.

Maybe creating more topics on the Lucasarts Monkey Island forums about having voice when using old art will get them to reconsider?

I suggest that people who want the voices and updated music when using the old art create a topic about it on their forums.

At least it will show them there's interest for it.

I've already made my topic on the fact some days ago.

Because this is the MI:SE thread, and there had already been a lot of discussion about the Guybrush design in this thread previously — thus the single conversation had ended up being split into two separate topics.

I noticed it was getting confusing when ATMachine posted all his stuff in this thread, despite your Guybrush conversation having now shifted to another one.

They're not happening over the top of each other, anyway. One guy brought up the sound issue again, which happens a lot in forum threads.

Archived