Home

The Worst of High School Abominations? (Alcohol, Sex, Drugs)

Exile007

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered which of the High School Abominations (Health class lectures) was the worst, and most self destructive to oneself. I'd like to hear others' opinions on this matter. It shouldn't necessarily have to be the "*blank* is the easiest to one to be caught doing and is therefore the worst" one. Think about which one could definitely screw up someone's life the most. I think the main ones would be "Sex, Drugs, and Alcohol." Feel free to add your own though. :)

My answer would be: Drugs. From what I've learned, it seems like these would definitely be the scariest and most dangerous one. I'm not too happy about sorta losing control and getting to laid back. Then again, I might be biased because of people coming into class who are clearly on drugs and teachers really not doing anything.

NOTE: I am not trying to find out which one of these would be the one to do. I know it may come across that way as I am a High School student, but I have no intention of doing this kinda stuff. My parents sorta scared me out of trying it tbh. :p

Play nice with me, this is my first time posting in Kavar's, I think. :p

EDIT: Whoops, wrong subforum, could a moderator kindly move this thread? :)

Many thanks :)

First lets look at each.

Sex: IF all precautions are taken the side effects are negligable. However there is a possibility of a failure of protection and the side effect could be at least 18 years long :D Of course there is the chance of an STD which can also lead to death. But if no precautions are taken, risks are higher for each.

Alcohol: IF done in moderation that can be safe. However in rare cases people can have an allergy to alcohol. Diabetics should especially be aware of the risks. Drinking to excess can also lead to death. But then again... anything done to excess carries a risk. Then add in drunk driving(bad enough in itself) done by inexperienced drivers(just to make it even more dangerous)

Drugs: Even if done in moderation, side effects and unknown reactions could still lead to death. There are no hard and fast quality controls on illegal drugs... because they are well... illegal. A single use of some drugs carries the risk of death. Others the risks START at addiction. Of course Marijuana..... I probably shouldn't talk about my opinion on that.

My opinion is that drugs are the greatest risk. Second is alcohol. Sex is the safest of the three, however education is the key to keeping it safe.

I was very into Marijuana at school, and although I dont think it necessarily leads to Harder drugs, it did for me... I started Bombing speed at 14, Ecstasy and small amounts of cocaine at 16, failed all but one of my GCSE's, and went to college as zombie looking apprentice Bricklayer, Suffice it to say I failed at class, and became increasingly anxious, paranoid and unsociable... to the point where I ceased to socialize at all and quit my Job.

I'm a very happy outgoing individual now, and my only Vice is cigerettes, but one thing I learned is that theres nothing cool about being an ex-junkie scumbag, you wont get a job, you wont get sex, and wont have much of a life.

Stay in School, worry about doing what the grown ups do when your a grown up.

I was very into Marijuana at school, and although I dont think it necessarily leads to Harder drugs, it did for me... I started Bombing speed at 14, Ecstasy and small amounts of cocaine at 16, failed all but one of my GCSE's, and went to college as zombie looking apprentice Bricklayer, Suffice it to say I failed at class, and became increasingly anxious, paranoid and unsociable... to the point where I ceased to socialize at all and quit my Job.

I'm a very happy outgoing individual now, and my only Vice is cigerettes, but one thing I learned is that theres nothing cool about being an ex-junkie scumbag, you wont get a job, you wont get sex, and wont have much of a life.

Stay in School, worry about doing what the grown ups do when your a grown up.

The way I figure it. Marijuana use doesn't lead to harder drugs. However those who are likely to use harder drugs usually start with marijuana. I know I was one of them. Apparently you were as well. I think it has to do with the people you come into contact with when you use marijuana. You meet less and less upstanding people. Not to mention some dealers have a tendancy to try to get you into the "club" Which is to say the harder drugs. So you could easily end up with a shady dealer that laces the weed you get with something else. Best just to stay away from it altogether.

My story is pretty similar to yours Adam. I joined the military to get away from the people I knew that would bring it to me.

Violence is the worst. The other are just descriptors, given specific circumstance. Drugs are extremely unproductive, including alcohol abuse, but violence is the worst course to take if you're serious about human development and culturing your mind independently.

Hmmm, you know it's kind of interesting for people to point out drugs. Are we including prescription drugs? They are the worst offenders of any drug, kids are taught at an early age that drugs are good, usually by being prescribed pharmaceutical speed like ritalin or adderal.

Personally I would say the unwillingness to get rid of ignorance is the worst of high school abominations, people are afraid to expose kids to the truth because they have this puritanical idea that we need to suppress information to give kids, and people in general, good character and principles. Maybe I'm just an over-achieving freak, but the more I learned, the less problematic I felt my life was. Sure it exposed me to the depressing reality that not everything will be as simple as it can be, but I also realized that there's a lot of propoganda out there used as an excuse for people's shortcomings and unwillingness to actually try. I know not everyone has equal footing and I've made plenty of decisions I feel are stupid now, but I learned and I learned the truth. The stories we tell in school are not often the true extent of the problem and tend to over simplify, like the correlation between marijuana and heroin. It would be just as easy to say that everyone who does a lot of drugs and has ****ed up their life started their drug use with milk.

I also remember a point of time in my education, granted I live in Texas and grew up in a rather ironicly prejudice town (large population of minorities, but still racist and homophobic). They would often bring up subjects that almost reinforced segregation and removing gays from society. Ignorance leads to misunderstanding, which sadly can lead to fear. As we all know from Yoda, fear leads to the dark side; anger, jealousy.

I remember getting attacked by groups of people because they confused me for "a gay" because I didn't think it was okay to imprison people for being homosexual. I dated most of the asian foreign exchange students and was often the target of multiple attempted vehicular manslaughters, I can't even count how many times I've had to run up and over a brick wall to escape a classmates truck that they drove up on the sidewalk to hit me as I walked home.

PS: Alcohol is a drug, as is caffiene (which leads to quite a large number of deaths annually). Both are often over indulged in our society and I'd say they are the true gateway drugs, caffiene would definitely have more of a connection to hard drugs like heroin and crack.

Might I remind you just how many doctors self medicate? Drugs are an issue if you get away from yourself. Getting away from yourself is the causal effect.

It's not drugs, it's violence expressed with drugs.

Violence is the issue.

Which comes from the lack of education on teaching kids confidence building exercises as well as general problem solving through life skills. Kids would be less likely to feel like they have to dull the world if they were given the resources to improve themselves and take away that feeling of being powerless. A lot of people feel powerless and drown their sorrows in something, drugs or model collecting, they're addictions of the mind and eventually if not kept in check can develop into physical issues. I've actually met people who've nearly commited suicide because they were shopaholics that had their credit cards canceled and were rendered unable to open a new one.

Though with drugs, when they reach something synthetic (Rx, heroin, crack,chemically processed coca, ecstacy[which was actually an Rx originally as well as the previously mentioned concentrated coca]) it is very easy for a physical dependence to be made. Look at how you have to ease off prescriptions, but a lot of people over look this fact.

How the heck did sex get on that list?

I thought it was the reason for going to high school in the first place.

"children" in complex relationships scare parents. "They're too young to settle down, they should be enjoying the prime years of their life, meeting as many people as possible."

Wait, doesn't that just lead toward justifying meaningless casual hookup sex? So self-defeating this twisted web seems...:eek:

I tend to agree with the majority - drugs is definitely something not to be messed with. I would like to add though that, even if they aren't formally classified as drugs and are legal everywhere in the world, I consider cigarettes just as bad. Why? Well, my uncle was a very heavy smoker. He would do one or two packs a day at the least. He was a great person, though and was something like an older brother to me. He would help me in any way he could and the same applied to the rest of the family and all his friends. Hard to believe people like that exist, but as rare as they are, they do and that made it even harder when he got sick. Cancer. Started in the bronchi, spread to a lung, operated, but still managed to later reappear on his liver, operated, yet again reappeared on his brain, operated, but in the end it got him. The saddest part was that a two year old girl was left without her dad. After all that (and you got the extra short version) I am not touching a cigarette ever. When I tell this story to someone, they tell me I'm overreacting, that cigarettes don't necessarily cause cancer. Well, I really don't want to take that chance for something as unnecessary a smoke.

Alcohol is second place. While it won't kill you, it is addictive and definitely not good for you in any way. Now, that doesn't mean I don't drink alcohol, but I don't drink it often and when I do, I don't do it to get drunk (which has unfortunately become a trend over here). I monitor myself carefully when I drink, so when I start to feel it going to my head I finish that drink and stop. Unfortunately, I have a strong mental deterrent to help me in my self-control - my father had an alcohol problem on two occasions. Let's just say that while it lasted, it wasn't pretty.

Last, but not least - sex. Well, actually, I don't have anything against it. It's a natural process. Of course, since we (myself included) prefer do it for fun rather than for its original purpose, precautions are necessary. Condoms and good hygiene and, of course, watch who you do it with. Birth control pills can't hurt either, I guess.

The absolute worst of High School? The other kids. It's generally not a personal choice to do (two) of the above choices, but more or less a sum of peer pressure that pushes someone over the edge. I don't see what's bad with sex, as long as it's safe. Alcohol is fine in moderation, and I don't plan on touching drugs anytime.

I could probably elaborate, but the vernacular skill is evading me, so I'll sum up by saying that the other students are your worst enemy.

And stupid teachers.

Well I still think it's a bit a leap to go from taking a toke on a spliff at a surf beach to tearing down the fabric of society, or chugging a brew at a teen party to columbine, or having that special moment with a special someone to destroying the morality of mankind.

But check out these terms. Violent drugs. Sexual violence. Alcohol abuse.

In a context of violence these elements combine to form the breeding ground of unhealthy social attitudes in early adulthood, whether clubbing your way into trading any serious career prospects for STDs or hanging around in car parks outside bottleshops asking strangers for change, or heading on a one way course to abusive relationships and trailer park single parenting. Or just playing the game of collecting as many psychiatric diagnosis as possible to ensure a lifestyle of couch potatoism and disability pension.

The key factor here is violence, to the self and others. Particularly in violence to the self, we can be surprisingly brutal us humans. We don't just slam our head against walls oh no, we get real creative and make sure we destroy an entire life to get back at the universe for having the arrogance to dare spawn such a loathsome creature as one's self. We make sure the self is sentenced to an eternity of hell on Earth when we express violence to the self, it's a social competition, but the prize is a booby.

Alcohol by far. In moderation it is okay. In high school, you don't understand the concept of moderation, and since it is illegal to drink or possess, you binge and drink as much as you can in as little time as you can. This isn't good. I knew many many people during high school that were caught drinking at school, got DUIs, and actually killed others while driving drunk. If you are interested in drinking, talk to your parents about it, and chances are they'll let you have a beer or glass of wine with dinner occasionally. This way you learn how to drink responsibly. For parents that are reading this, I guarantee your kid has had alcohol at parties, so talk to them about drinking responsibly. Chances are they'll listen. Banning them from drinking drives it underground, and they will partake.

I personally have seen a disproportionate number of friends and acquaintances ruin their lives from being irresponsible with alcohol. I know of a few who did so with real drugs (i.e. not weed), and none via sex. My advice is don't mess with any, as all three are illegal if you get caught.

PS- getting caught having sex in high school now will have you labeled a sex offender, and that will ruin your life worse than a DUI. Research the laws in your state if you're going to. When I graduated, this didn't happen often at all, if ever. Now though....protect yourself and your partner from stds, babies, and the law.

How the heck did sex get on that list?

I thought it was the reason for going to high school in the first place.

indeed. i was extremely disappointed my first class on sex education didn't begin with the teacher walking in saying "today, we're going to learn about sex. right then, grab a partner." :indif:

Archived