Home

What to get... What to get...

Canderis

What one to get?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What one to get?

In this case, I cannot help you, nor can the above-quoted people who are all certified RPG-recommendation experts, certified by the Neue Deutsche Rolleplainggerecommendate Schule.

experts and their tangential perspectives!

As monitor sizes and native resolutions increase, these older games look more dated than ever. Steam recently announced that the average rez of their players display is 1680x1050. Games designed for 800x600 or 1024x768 are starting to look terrible on these new 16:9 displays that can churn out up to 1600p.

Sometimes people don't want to see jagged lines and pixels the size of grandma's foot gout. Aesthetics can be just as enjoyable an aspect of a game. I personally love looking at the amazing detail the artists and devs have put in to make the worlds you traverse beautiful and immersive. In games like Assassins Creed and ME, you can just sit and *look* like you're at a moving gallery.

Of course, not everyone is so visually inclined, but I'd say many would be - otherwise HD displays would not exist and devs wouldn't bother with 1080p+ capable games.

mtfbwya

I think Dragon Age is as hardcore western RPG as you can get, very old school.

I'm probably snipping on technicalities here, but Dragon Age is certainly a lot more simplified than Neverwinter Nights 2 on the hardcore scale. I'd call it streamlined, actually - there isn't a part of the gameplay there that feels unfair or useless. Even with the difficult battles, I never quite thought it was frustrating, just insidious.

I love Dragon Age. If you like a pure RPG, go for DA. If you like a sci-fi RPG-shooter combo, go for ME2 , though get ME1 first.

I would agree with DI, True_Avery, and PastramiX have said about Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It's an older game but it's still one of my hands-down favorites. I love playing that game almost as much as I love playing Kotor, and that's a LOT.

While I would only suggest Revan 411 to play Planescape: Torment before being so quick as to judge Deus Ex supreme on story-telling, character evolution and development

See, the thing is Sabretooth, I did play Planescape: Torment. I agree that it has a great story, characters and development, but for some reason, I find Deus Ex to be better. :indif: *Runs*

Then again, I do find Deus Ex to be the best game ever made...

I am tempted to get borderlands too. Any of you guys played that?

I haven't, but other folks may have. ;)

Well I will try out Bloodlines. It looks pretty good, and I got nothing against older games. Im still going to get 2 of these games.

I'll echo the first Deus Ex as well. I never beat it and played it... damn, years and years ago but from what I remember I really enjoyed it. Its on my list of things to dust off and try again.

There is a simple answer to this:

Do you have at least 1 other person to play with at all times?

If yes, then give it a consideration. If you have 2 or 3 people, then think about it more. If you do not have someone to play with... ignore Borderlands. I bought it and played with 2 other friends and it was fun at the time, but looking back it probably was not worth it. Its essentially Fallout 3 without any story and co-op.

Planescape: Torment

I am afraid of this game for many reasons. It'd have to grab me by the boobs to live up to the hype this forum especially has given it.

Comes a point where something is given so much praise that I get turned off to it.

I cannot believe I forgot!

Witcher! You need to play Witcher! I love that game. Its based off some non-english books that are being very, very steadily translated and released in english that resemble a sort of darker fantasy... well, sort of what Dragon Age tried to do and, in my personal opinion, didn't entirely capture to the point that Witcher did. That and I think Witcher arguably took its M17+ rating to better usage than Dragon Age did.

I love the combat, the characters range from great to decent with a few annoyances, and its also getting a sequel. If anything, get a copy to support the developers because they rock for releasing a free expansion of sort that repaired and improved nearly all the launch faults with the game.

As far as Tolkien-esque fantasy goes, its been a personal favorite. It doesn't have the vast amount of characters, quests, etc that Dragon Age does but, in my opinion, Dragon Age's vastness is almost choking while Witcher is a much easier bite to chew on the first playthrough. That said, Witcher can easily take up 60+ hours on the first playthrough.

Considering DLC is being thrown around like crazy between ME2 and DA:O, I'd say get Witcher and Vampire and play through those until the content influx slows on both.

I've never really been a Final Fantasy fan (Played Durge of Cerberus at most--that's more an action shoot'em'up game though). However, I did get to peep Final Fantasy 13 on its debut because a pal of mine (the same one who showed me dragon age, brutal legend, etc.) and his wife decided to get it. Have to say it is nothing less than dazzling to behold. And it is also a very well established series. (though the fanatics kind of creep me out TBH). So if none of the 3 end up getting you...do at least give this one some serious consideration. Sweet mechanics, fluid movement. Storylines are really good to epic.

See, the thing is Sabretooth, I did play Planescape: Torment. I agree that it has a great story, characters and development, but for some reason, I find Deus Ex to be better. :indif: *Runs*/QUOTE]

Then again, I do find Deus Ex to be the best game ever made...

Well, I understand this sentiment fully and wish you the best of luck on your future endeavours, to steal a line from Sam! :thmbup1:[

Well I will try out Bloodlines. It looks pretty good, and I got nothing against older games. Im still going to get 2 of these games.

I've played Borderlands, it's a lot of fun and it's addictive, but never play it on Singleplayer, it's pointless and epically boring. On Multiplayer it can be fun, driving around, shooting monsters, levelling up and so on. The story is barebones and most of the time you won't even be aware of where the story is or what your current quest is about, you'll just go to where the objective tells you, do what it says and collect the cash.

It's not comparable to the rest in terms of deep RPG experience, but if you're looking for a co-op shooter/dungeon-crawler hybrid that doesn't make you think, it's Borderlands.

I am afraid of this game for many reasons. It'd have to grab me by the boobs to live up to the hype this forum especially has given it.
Don't beat around the bush; just play the f****** game already. Whether you love it or hate it is another thing, but play through it completely at least once before bawwwwing it to an insurmountable death.
Comes a point where something is given so much praise that I get turned off to it.
Funny; the same thing happened to me with Mass Effect.

Don't beat around the bush; just play the f****** game already. Whether you love it or hate it is another thing, but play through it completely at least once before bawwwwing it to an insurmountable death.Funny; the same thing happened to me with Mass Effect.

Yeah, I mean...don't knock it until you've played it. Like Back Yard Wrestling 2. IRL It's great fun to smash a fluorescent light tube upside your opponent's head, and powerbomb them into thumbtacks...even Sabu your neigbor's mamma through a coffee table (well, or maybe into a bed or something and not quite in the backyard or in that type of wrestling match but umm.....yeah)...I mean if doing all that IRL is fun then the game has gotta be good. Right?

*crickets*

Ok fine, the game BYW2 blew harder than a canyon windstorm on Tuesdays. Point being, I didn't start talking $*** about it or deciding to take my playing talents elsewhere until I at least checked it out.

Though now I wish I hadn't have played the game.

Don't beat around the bush; just play the f****** game already. Whether you love it or hate it is another thing, but play through it completely at least once before bawwwwing it to an insurmountable death.

Yeah, see, this is exactly why I don't want to play it.

lolz.. I know what a shrink would say to that.

What I can say is that persons of like disposition can often act as a good filter for things you may or may not want to at least try out

The liking bit is up to you :thmbup1:

I must admit - I hadn't heard of Planescape until 30 seconds ago......

//googlewiki// lolz. looks pretty for its era. I wonder if those folks planing a NWN 2 module succeeded, or if it suffered the painful death of most fanboi projects ? edit: they seem to have made some progress.... though much of that does not seem recent.....

mtfbwya

PS:T's graphics haven't held up too badly, no...

On the NWN2 module, IIRC they're creaking toward a demo release. Or were. They already released a kind of pre-demo... thing. It came in about 15 parts, took ages to load, had missing textures and not much of a plot. It's a lot more of a free-roaming kind of thing than the original from what I recall.

I wrote some more detailed impressions on it in this thread closer to when I tried it, though, so it may be more informative. Somewhat inevitably, I ended up doing some comparisons with the original so there's a couple of spoilers if you were hoping to go into Torment blind, and some general stuff on the Planescape-i-verse which may not make sense without some prior reading on the setting.

Interesting. Cheers for the info DI.

I think I might try track down PST and give it a run on my tablet PC, which has a nice lower rez compact screen and runs an x86 OS. I dont mind playing lower-fi games on that than trying to squint at a window on my main gaming/editing etc 30" display.

Interesting that the project leader ended up getting a job with Obsidian which I venture to say would account for the gradual slow-down.

mtfbwya

I cannot believe I forgot!

Witcher! You need to play Witcher! I love that game. Its based off some non-english books that are being very, very steadily translated and released in english that resemble a sort of darker fantasy... well, sort of what Dragon Age tried to do and, in my personal opinion, didn't entirely capture to the point that Witcher did. That and I think Witcher arguably took its M17+ rating to better usage than Dragon Age did.

I love the combat, the characters range from great to decent with a few annoyances, and its also getting a sequel. If anything, get a copy to support the developers because they rock for releasing a free expansion of sort that repaired and improved nearly all the launch faults with the game.

As far as Tolkien-esque fantasy goes, its been a personal favorite. It doesn't have the vast amount of characters, quests, etc that Dragon Age does but, in my opinion, Dragon Age's vastness is almost choking while Witcher is a much easier bite to chew on the first playthrough. That said, Witcher can easily take up 60+ hours on the first playthrough.

Considering DLC is being thrown around like crazy between ME2 and DA:O, I'd say get Witcher and Vampire and play through those until the content influx slows on both.

I have to agree with True_Avery on this

I love playing the Witcher and you can get it at a reasonable price now.

I haven't played the 3 you mentioned so I have no clue, but I will probably get those same 3 myself once they drop down in price and all the DLC as been done to them

I haven't played the 3 you mentioned so I have no clue, but I will probably get those same 3 myself once they drop down in price and all the DLC as been done to them

Fallout is a few years old now. All dlc is out for it

I went and got dragon age, and ME2. I'll get fallout in may along with AC2.

Archived