Home

XWA One Year Thread, Part VI, Return of the Bottle Deposit

Kuuki

every year around this time when my Tax return is about to arrive, i dream about buying a new comp or console system.

But then I realize now that i live with my fiancee there are other things i need to buy besides toys. I need to get a new lawnmower this week, and then by memorial day get a Grill.

heck just today i spent $55 getting stuff for the house. A new cat door, new 30 amp outlet for the dryer, batteries, organizational stuff

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow.. getting a lot of derp here. time to turn your radio and tv channel a bit more to the left.

1. Obama made the final decision to pull off the raid. Obama let everyone know that the decision to use lethal force, in a foreign country without their approval, was his. Obama knew if there are repercussions from all of this, it will land squarely on his back. Damn right he get to take credit for the killing

2. Obama also knew who else to thank in his speach:

..The United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden...

...Over the last 10 years, thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counter-terrorism professionals, we've made great strides in that effort...

...And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda...

...after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community...

...the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. ...

...Tonight, we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counter-terrorism professionals who've worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work, nor know their names. But tonight, they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice.

We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of the burden since that September day....

...we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to...

3. There are numerous reports from Senior officials that the evidence that lead to the courier OBL used who lead intelligence operatives to the site came under NORMAL interrogation methods about 2 years ago. If you use something like waterboarding the prisoner will sing and say anything just to stop the torture and it is highly unreliable as a way to gain evidence or information

all I'm saying is that I am pretty sure the CIA was already spending large amounts of resources going after OBL. I doubt it was like, oh, obama says we need to get obl, we should probably look into it. which i what i gathered from his statement.

also, where was that interrogation held?

and I saw some stuff alluding to 'advanced interrogation techniques were used to gather the intel'

I do give him kudos not that its out that he basically ignored pakistan and gave them a big "FU". I didnt think he had it in him with all his good global citizen bs he talks :thmbup1:

also you have me very incorrectly penned as a fauxnewsjunkie. If it happened 2 years ago, I would so not be going "OMG GWB killed OBL" :rolleyes:

Everything on 16 Red. :dozey:

The Borders book store near me is going out of business. EVERYTHING 50 -75% off. I went there yesterday and tried to help clean them out. Spent well over $100... but I saved well over $200.

Now to find enough book shelf space for all these...

I didn't take the time to dig through the DVD section carefully... I might go back in a couple of days and do that.

For the last year I have been avoiding Borders due to their lack of product in the Science Fiction area. 90% of the stuff I saw was reprintings and only a few books were actaully published in the last year

All of the Barnes and Nobles are going the same. Their "Science Fiction/Fantasy" area is mostly Fantasy, or horror.

That is why i switched to instant bookgasum gratification via Kindle

Hmm...

That may be. I never noticed. Most of the Sci-Fi I read is classic anyway.

I DID find the one book I was actually looking for there yesterday, however ("Against All Things Ending" by Stephen Donaldson, in hardcover... for 60% off...)

But beyond that, I rarely walk into a store like that looking for something specific. If there's something I MUST have, it typically gets ordered through Amazon. Bookstores are for wandering in, and getting my attention grabbed by something interesting.

Happy Mother's Day... you... Mothers.

:p

Spent Friday and yesterday with the GF. Probably a bit more time today. A bit of time with mom today, too.

Maybe...

I woke with a sore throat and a stuffy nose. Hopefully just allergies.

You know with the recent news it was not Admiral Ackbar who destroyed the death star and killed the Emporer, but Han Solo and his elite commando team that took out the shield generators, as well as two heros of the battle of Endor: Lando Calrissian and Wedge Antilles that destroyed the main reactor. And I have a hard time believing that some stupid farmer from Tatooine can get into the Death star and convince the "Dark Lord of the Sith" who killed hundreds of Jedi to kill the Emporer.

The Emporer is dead and the Death star is destroyed but Admiral Ackbar should not be taking any credit since any admiral could have used the same information and done the same thing

who won the fight keyan?

*BOXING SPOILERS*

Pacquiao.

How awesome is live boxing?

Pretty awesome, although if your goal is to get a good view of the action, seeing it on TV is better. I had really good seats, but even so, sometimes there was a camera guy in the way or something. But the energy seeing it live is awesome, especially for such a major event. LL Cool J was there to sing Mosley's entrance song live, and Jimi Jamison from Survivor was there to sing "Eye of the Tiger" live for Pacquiao's entrance, which was pretty cool. Jamie Fox was also there to sing "America the Beautiful" live for...some reason.

I lost about a hundred dollars playing blackjack for a few hours, but I made $20 from slots, including a pretty sweet Star Wars slot machine that had all these touchscreen bonus things.

A pretty good trip overall. Heading home tomorrow.

Pretty awesome, although if your goal is to get a good view of the action, seeing it on TV is better. I had really good seats, but even so, sometimes there was a camera guy in the way or something. But the energy seeing it live is awesome, especially for such a major event. LL Cool J was there to sing Mosley's entrance song live, and Jimi Jamison from Survivor was there to sing "Eye of the Tiger" live for Pacquiao's entrance, which was pretty cool. Jamie Fox was also there to sing "America the Beautiful" live for...some reason.

I lost about a hundred dollars playing blackjack for a few hours, but I made $20 from slots, including a pretty sweet Star Wars slot machine that had all these touchscreen bonus things.

A pretty good trip overall. Heading home tomorrow.

sounds pretty fun!

ed: yup back to 24/7 claritin for me

K_K, here's evidence of the growth of curling: a curling club has popped up in the town where my sister and her kids live. The club uses the ice sheet at the town ice arena rather than a sheet just for curling.

That is becoming a more common occurrence. It is actually quite an inexpensive sport compared to hockey

Archived