Home

Prequels > Orginals

Ping

......according to a Yahoo! columnist.

I'm not sure if this guy knows what he's talking about. This comment on the article pretty much sums up why I think that:

"There is absolutely no element or character in the original trilogy that isn't delineated in stark black and white terms"

Interesting. Han Solo is a smuggling criminal whom acts as a gun for hire. Lando is a degenerate gambler responsible for our hero's capture. Darth frickin Vader- the supposed epitome of evil in the first two films- KILLS the emporer- the real epitome of evil- in the third. Perhaps I am obtuse, but I do not find those terms to be starkly delineated in black and white.

Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never really had any interest in breaking down Star wars in to Freudian theory, Esotericism vs Exotericism, motifs, relating it to the Hero's Journey, or its relation to the American dream... yea kool thats you is intelgunt. I enjoy all six films for various reasons, none of which can be argued away by someone else, and none of which have anything to do with the real world.

There's nothing to think about. The writer of that column is either a troll trying to piss off Star Wars purists, a little kid who thinks fancy special effects are what make great movies, or a cockamamie moron.

Right, because someone who doesn't share the opinion (not fact) that the originals are better than the prequels is either a troll or a little kid. Great argumentation... :rolleyes:

I enjoy all six films for various reasons, none of which can be argued away by someone else,

Same here.

Troll... has a word lost all meaning more than the word troll? Its been so watered down and overused that it hardly has meaning anymore.

You upset? You been trolled, you happy? You been trolled, Lucasforums has recent posts? You been trolled, Birthday thread? Trolled.

"Troll, troll, everywhere Troll, hiding in an alleyway, smokin on a bowl, you read this, you read that, can't you see you been Trolled??"

troll.gif

XD @ adamqd

I don't quite understand what the big deal is... Yahoo! Columnist draws up an article they probably don't even believe in themselves but knows it will get traffic and lots of publicity. Hell, even I do it sometimes with my little site that matters to no one... if you make it just right then the traffic comes flooding in from everywhere.

Isn't this basically the whole "comparing eras" argument all over again? We did it with Star Trek a few months ago, as I recall. You simply can't compare two pieces of media created twenty years apart from each other using the same standards. Even if they're from the same franchise. The two trilogies were created for completely different audiences, so trying to label one of them as "better" than the other is just a waste of time.

I like all six movies. Personally I like the original trilogy slightly better because they are nostalgic to me. However, I can see the same lame dialogue in them as the prequels. The only difference is Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness could pull off the lame dialogue better than any of the prequel actors.

Hell, even I do it sometimes with my little site that matters to no one... if you make it just right then the traffic comes flooding in from everywhere.
That makes you some sort of hit count whore maybe, but I dunno about troll. I'm pretty sure when some idiot writes a sensationalist newspaper or magazine article, people aren't running around screaming "troll, troll!". That's just part and parcel of the media. I have to agree with adamqd. Troll is just meaningless now by its overuse. Everyone on the internet is a troll basically.

And seeing as that presumably includes me as well - trollface.gif

Just go and watch the Mr Plinkett reviews. He covers all the flaws in the prequels and points out how and why they lack in comparison to the OT.

@ DP: Probably should've added a few spaces between what I said to adamqd and what I said afterward.

No, when I said "troll thread" in my first post, I was predicting what threads like this degenerated to in the past, however since LF doesn't seem to have the people it used to running around here, it's not happening.

That said, there were people around here who would come on and agree with the writer and then there'd be a huge debate happening when finally the person or people starting it all would admit that they just did it for the lulz and didn't really agree with the article... and I'm just realising that I did that once or twice when I was still a member XD

Doesn't mean I'm overusing "troll"... after all, if I actually thought that then as an admin I'd be banning a lot more of you... it just makes me... old and remembering a past long forgotten :(

Also, I don't know anyone who hasn't seen the Mr Plinkett reviews and if they say they haven't.............. then they're just trolling :p *laughs hysterically as he runs away, gets on a hot air balloon and flies into the distance*

Archived