Home

Rap Music

C'jais

Trouble is - I don't get it.

I mean, to me it's all just a big stage show like wrestling.

It's all form and aesthetics. No content. No musical technique or brilliance. I'm not going to hear a sexist pig scream at the top of his lungs how awesome he is, how the world hates him, how he treats women like sluts and how important a big car and jewelry is.

If it at least had a message it'd be alright, and I respect the rappers who are very politically engaged, and actually want to make a change in society.

But it's the rappers who are in it only for the money and respect it brings that I can't take. Their macho attitude towards women, the way they promote violence, drugs and general contempt for authority and the whole deal of staging themselves is pathetic, IMHO.

Then there's all the hypocrisy surrounding "pop music". Damn those rappers should take a look at themself. They hate pop music because of its shallowness and it's popularity alone. Rap is more popular in the states than pop music. They rap about anarchistic values and how important it is to be individualistic - yet they look, behave and rap alike. There's nothing pleasing about a weak, monotonous beat with a guy yelling in the background about his hidden genius and how he's loathed by everyone for being a prick. Go f*cking figure.

Rappers act with even more anger when the police takes action against their gang warfare and drug abuse, which they promoted themselves.

So much fury for so little gain.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*high fives C'Jais*

Well said :)

I don't like Rap mainly because everyone that lives around here finds it "cool" to ride around at 3 in the morning with it blasting.

But you make very good points, like this "eminem" character.

I could go on for hours days about how much I do not like him, nor respect him. I can see why someone would want to make money, but jeeze, there's a line between making a living for yourself, and making an arse out of yourself.

Originally posted by obi-wan13

But you make very good points, like this "eminem" character.

I could go on for hours days about how much I do not like him, nor respect him. I can see why someone would want to make money, but jeeze, there's a line between making a living for yourself, and making an arse out of yourself.

I agree with you on this Obi. I can't stand him at all. But what Jais said only apply's to the trendy rappers. I only listen to the same rappers like I always to mostly. Like DMX, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., and old Snoop. All the other crap is crap. They aren't all wearing gold everything including there teeth. They just do what they do and that is it. They don't need to have some Benz or Lamborghini in every video that they make.

All the other artist's are the same and mimic each other or try to out do the other.

:lsduel::duel:

I agree with everything you said apart from this bit...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No musical technique or brilliance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's debatable, yes.

But really, the average rap beat rots to the point of becoming detestable if there wasn't some idiot drowning the music out in curses.

Granted, there are some great rap productions out there, but listen to some classical symphonies and compare it to some synthesized drums and a person trying hard to rhyme while screaming his head off.

Debating aesthetics is completely impossible - heck, some people find beauty in a person's arousing speech about death and destruction. I don't.

The point I was trying to make, was that rap music really has no message and a shallow, sexist attitude that's promoted like it's almost worthwhile tearing down society and start living in caves again, with men dragging women around like objects.

And people make money on this hypocritical truckload of aimless hatred for society?

Again, I just don't get it. I was hoping someone would enlighten me.

DMX and Eminem are really the only two rappers I listen to on a consistent basis, mostly when I'm really angry. Both of them have very angry, furious tones to their rhymes, and seem to project it very well. I love one of DMXs lines "Now if your heart was as big as your mouth you'd be real/ But it's not, so I know if you get knocked you'll squeal..."

I grew up listening to rap/hip-hop but the new sound just plain sucks, i used to buy lots of albums but now it sounds pathetic (very very few execptions)

They're all pop artists as far as im concerned, stupid retarted videos who cares if you've got money! you've got no talent! and your music sucks!!!!

Back in the day they made good use of samples, they had something wise to say and most important, the beats were phat.

Now it sounds like a 5 year old punching on a cheap ass keyboard and the beats oh my god! what the f***? i dont care how creative you think you are, they just plain suck!.

I'm more into Dj type stuff now (Shadow, Cam, Q-bert, Krush...).

"Why hip-hop sucks in '96(and still)...It's the money!" -Josh Davis

Well some rap is ok. Like Tupac and some others. But eminem... GRRR. Heres the chorus from one of his songs.. "Pimp Like Me"

"You just a hoe. You just my hoe. Dirty a*s hoe. I'm your pimp, you're my b****. Bring me my dough, go get me my dough, dirty ass hoe, I'm your pimp, you're my b****"

If I ever met that guy... And thats not even the worst of his songs.

These are the lyrics to the chorus of one of the more popular rap songs out there by some two-bit hoodlum that goes by the name of 50 Cent.

"You can find me in the club, bottle full of bub

Look mami I got the X if you into taking drugs

I'm into having sex, I ain't into making love

So come give me a hug if you into to getting rubbed."

Now, if you can actually decipher what he's saying because he slurs his words together so badly, you would see the lyrics epitomize what's wrong with society today. And young people are listening to this. I'm not talking about teenagers only. My 11-year old cousin listens to him and raps the lyrics to his songs. That kills me. Don't go making excuses for this. There is no reason that he should be telling those kids to subscribe to such garbage. To me, 50 Cent isn't worth half a penny.

Ugh. I'm glad someone finally came out and said it.

I just can't stand rap. There's nothing artful or enlightening about screaming over some atrocious beats a disgusting collection of filth. Rap preaches materialism, violence, hate and sexism. Not only that, IT SOUNDS LILKE HELL. :mad:

As far as I'm concerned, the word RAP is an acronym: Retard attempting poetry.

well i guess im the only one that listens to rap. what i like about it is the beats. i love dancing to a good beat. when i first hear a new rap song i dont listen for the lyrics, and then go out and scream them and do what they say. i hear the beat and if i like it i listen to it and eventually learn the words. i can see what people say about eminem, 50 cent and such, but they are talented, and people arent stupid, they are not going to do such things that they say. what i dont understand is punk music, whats so good about that? its just poeple screaming and moshing and hurting eachother.

Originally posted by Elessar-Eärfalas

well i guess im the only one that listens to rap. what i like about it is the beats. i love dancing to a good beat. when i first hear a new rap song i dont listen for the lyrics, and then go out and scream them and do what they say. i hear the beat and if i like it i listen to it and eventually learn the words. i can see what people say about eminem, 50 cent and such, but they are talented, and people arent stupid, they are not going to do such things that they say. what i dont understand is punk music, whats so good about that? its just poeple screaming and moshing and hurting eachother.

I hate rap and I love punk.

Almost every rap song i've ever heard has the exact same bass beat behind it going dum dum dum dum dum dum, then the rappers say their words that kind of rhyme, but they use no singing atall........just speaking their words. Punk bands actually sing-scream their songs. Moshing is not really an attempt to hurt each other, it's just a good ol run around and fling your limbs around. People do get hurt in moshes, but usually just by jerks who are drunk and stoned and don't even know what's going on.

and people arent stupid,

Oh, i beg to differ.

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

"You just a hoe. You just my hoe. Dirty a*s hoe. I'm your pimp, you're my b****. Bring me my dough, go get me my dough, dirty ass hoe, I'm your pimp, you're my b****"

I have a few things to say about all this. First there is this verse, its not Eminem who made the song, but his group (D-12). Yes, hes in the group, but it isnt him that writes all the lyrics. Second this is one of the worst songs D-12 has made, and I can agree to that. I was just defending Eminem :D!

Then to all the others. You all say that you hate Rap and everything it stands for, but how can you say that? Do you know that Rap once had a big influence on LA?

Ice Cube, Ice T and some others once rapped about Police brutality and so on, because black ppl were treated badly by the police in LA. It all ended up in violent demonstrations and killings, but they got heard, and it has eventually changed.

As far as Eminem and 50 Cent goes, theyre brilliant....both of them! Have you ever listened to the way that they put together the words, and how they make them sound extremely good along side those beats they made? If you havent then I dont think that you should be saying that, theyre bad and stupid! I know many ppl dont like Eminem, and I can see why. When he first got into the Rap game, his lyrics were full of anger and hatred, but it seems to have changed over the years. If you listen to some of his newer songs (Loose Yourself and Sing for the Moment), you'll notice that the content of the songs has changed. Theyre less angry and hateful.

And to the ppl that dont like the beats, what is wrong with you ppl? Theyre really good at this point, and you never see to beats that sound alike. Every rapper tries to come up with his unique beats and sounds, so that ppl can tell the difference between them. Personally I think that the beats we have now are so much better than the ones 2 Pac, and the other old school rappers made. But thats just my oppinion!

I think that Ellessar and myself are some of the few ppl that actually listen to rap music here....and enjoys it. Then again we all have our own oppinions and our own style of music that we like, and thats what makes us individuals and unique.

This was my 02 cents!

-Clemme

I'm not a fan of rap, either. The furthest I got was listening to Will Smith sing MIB...he seems okay... ;)

The thing about all the anger and shouting...that's how I've felt about a lot of Metal bands for several years. Especially since it's been redseigned and restamped under a hundred different categories... Shouting your head off while a drummer has a hernia trying to emulate the sound of a rapid-fire machine-gun does nothing for me. Nor does grumbling gibberish to the sound of a 'death guitar'... That's not to say I don't like a fast or heavy beat...but I listened to the Rock Show on radio recently (I used to be an avid listener of the Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vancy), and it all sounded the same to me. More like Metal Rap, most of it... So I continue to listen to older Rock and Metal...mostly 70s and 80s stuff...which was for me the Golden Age...

...it makes you wonder what music will be like in a hundred years. *shudders*

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

Well some rap is ok. Like Tupac and some others. But eminem... GRRR. Heres the chorus from one of his songs.. "Pimp Like Me"

Here's some to another (Lose Yourself):

Lose yourself in the music, the moment, you want it, you better never let it go.

You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow, this oppourtunity comes, once in a lifetime.

All the pain inside amplified by the fact that I can't by with my nine to five and I can't provide the right type of, life for my family, 'cause man this g*damn food stamps don't by diapers...

And one more (8 Mile)

I'm a new man, I'm a make a new plan, time for me to just stand up and travel new lands. Time for me to just take matters into my own hands, once I'm over these tracks man, I'm a never look back.

And I'm gone, I know right where I'm going, sorry momma I'm grown, I must travel alone. Ain't gonna follow no footsteps I'm making my own, only way that I know how to escape from this 8 mile road.

Don't judge all rap on some bad examples. Sure, there's a lot of it's that just stupid, pointless drivel. But there's some that's good, and personally, I like it. 50 Cent, Eminem, Wu-Tang Clan- I like them all ('cept Eminem's older songs, those were perfect examples of rap that's pointless)

And I'm not biased towards all other types either, I also like punk, alternative, rock, classical and the very odd pop song.

I'm not wasting my time by writing some big reply, but you're all dumb if you cannot recognize the artistic talent and ability these people have when they do this job. Let's see you write raps and make it sound good. And the complaining about the beats and the music itself is rediculous too, as I and many others enjoy it more than any other type of music.

Originally posted by Psyk0Sith

I grew up listening to rap/hip-hop but the new sound just plain sucks, i used to buy lots of albums but now it sounds pathetic (very very few execptions)

They're all pop artists as far as im concerned, stupid retarted videos who cares if you've got money! you've got no talent! and your music sucks!!!!

Back in the day they made good use of samples, they had something wise to say and most important, the beats were phat.

Now it sounds like a 5 year old punching on a cheap ass keyboard and the beats oh my god! what the f***? i dont care how creative you think you are, they just plain suck!.

I'm more into Dj type stuff now (Shadow, Cam, Q-bert, Krush...).

"Why hip-hop sucks in '96(and still)...It's the money!" -Josh Davis

YOU GO BOY! thats my opinion about rap (accept the DJ stuff), this thing they call rap we have now a'days stinks big time... i only find the old rap artists good.... like Cypress Hill, but i barely listen to them becuase im mainly a rock man:D ROCK ROCK BABY ROCK! the lyrics in most rap songs today are purely just dumb they arnt about anything

ZePhyR: i respect your opinion but i can prove you wrong......

"i say hey foo, i slap you down and take your dough, i kick you in the balls until your a*s falls, now your down and whos the clown?" < i made that up, sounds like eminem huh? yup...:D

Originally posted by NeoDios

Here's some to another (Lose Yourself):

Lose yourself in the music, the moment, you want it, you better never let it go.

You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow, this oppourtunity comes, once in a lifetime.

All the pain inside amplified by the fact that I can't by with my nine to five and I can't provide the right type of, life for my family, 'cause man this g*damn food stamps don't by diapers...

And one more (8 Mile)

I'm a new man, I'm a make a new plan, time for me to just stand up and travel new lands. Time for me to just take matters into my own hands, once I'm over these tracks man, I'm a never look back.

And I'm gone, I know right where I'm going, sorry momma I'm grown, I must travel alone. Ain't gonna follow no footsteps I'm making my own, only way that I know how to escape from this 8 mile road.

Don't judge all rap on some bad examples. Sure, there's a lot of it's that just stupid, pointless drivel. But there's some that's good, and personally, I like it. 50 Cent, Eminem, Wu-Tang Clan- I like them all ('cept Eminem's older songs, those were perfect examples of rap that's pointless)

And I'm not biased towards all other types either, I also like punk, alternative, rock, classical and the very odd pop song.

I know I have the 8 Mile CD. And I like some rap. But correct me if I'm wrong. Eminem didn't even write those lyrics I don't think. They're not from his heart, they're from someone elses.

Archived