Home

Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics

DarkLord60

You may already know but for those who don't

Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics

Tue, Jan 06, 04 02:08:12 AM EST

Rob sends us this interesting note:

A little something I noticed today while browsing in Barnes & Noble today might be of some interest to other Star Wars fans. It's not much, but in Robert J. Emery's The Directors: Take 4, there is a chapter dedicated to George Lucas and his work. In it, George Lucas discusses his revisions to the Classic Trilogy that we are all familiar with in the Special Editions. However, at the end of that section, Lucas mentions that when the Classic Trilogy is released on DVD he will finally be able to release the films in the way he had originally intended.

He doesn't come out and say it directly, but I think it is fairly safe to assume that he intends to make additional changes to the Classic Trilogy. Either way, there are some good things in this book would recommend the series to any interested in filmmaking.

Sure sounds like it to us as well

All I'll say is he'd better not try to change the Classic Trilogy too much. I've always preferred the old shot of how Han shoots first and kills Greedo in ANH. Moreover, I've always liked the "Yub Yub" song with the choir over the purely instrumental one at the end of ROTJ. If he screws up any more scenes like that, I'm going to be a bit ticked off.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

All I'll say is he'd better not try to change the Classic Trilogy too much. I've always preferred the old shot of how Han shoots first and kills Greedo in ANH. Moreover, I've always liked the "Yub Yub" song with the choir over the purely instrumental one at the end of ROTJ. If he screws up any more scenes like that, I'm going to be a bit ticked off.

Yeah same here, Han was more of a fun character when you were not too sure of where his loyalties were. By the time ROTJ came out, he just has his head up Leia's arse the whole time. :/

I noticed this on theforce.net a little while ago. It seems odd to me that George Lucas would want to change the films even further. I liked what was done with the special editions, but my think is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as there is some way to watch the movies as they were originally released, it should be fine.

I'd object to this news, but it'd be impossible for Lucas to ruin the films more thoroughly than he already did with the 1997 "Special Editions". I've long since given up hope that Lucas would come to his senses and release the films in their original form, so I no longer care what changes Lucas wants to make. The films are completely unwatchable at this point, anyway.

I'm just glad GL has finally confirmed they will be coming to DVD. I was beginning to doubt he ever would. I wonder if they will be released as just the classic trilogy or a 6 DVD box set. I'm holding out for the 6.

As for the changes, let's just hope he doesn't do anything too drastic again.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

However, at the end of that section, Lucas mentions that when the Classic Trilogy is released on DVD he will finally be able to release the films in the way he had originally intended.

I wouldn't read too much into that statement yet.

He could mean that finally people will be able to see and hear the movies in a high-def digital format as he always intended for them to be seen. Remember, he has been pushing formats such as digital sound and picture and THX standards for years because he once saw one of his films in a theater and was horrified by the quality of the print and the sound in the theater. He has said that he has held off from DVD with the older movies until he was sure that DVD would be the final format, and that they could be remastered to that format to meet his standards.

It doesn't nessisarily mean he's going to make any more sweeping changes to the films themselves. As far as I know he has said that after the Special Editions he was totally done with them. But it wouldn't really surprise me if he does make a few more changes either.

• 2 weeks later...

If rumours are correct, one thing I wouldnt mind seeing is the extended alderaan sequence, replete with jimmy smits as Bail Organa...... There are numerous books on the 'unfinished and or deleted sequences' of Star Wars OT, Im sure some of these may make it back to the DVD version

eg.

*Tosche Station with Camie and Fixer

*Luke meeting Biggs on Tatooine

*Closer views of 3po driving the speeder through canyons on Tatooine when searching for r2,

*More stuff in Mos Eisley, including the babe sitting on Hans lap before he's bothered by Greedo etc etc

MTFBWYA

I don't know why u guys hate the Special Editions so much. Though I have never seen the original films (which could be a drawback to my arguement), what would u guys really prefer:

- Great story, characters and locations but cheesy 70's-80's SFX

- The same great story, characters and locations but better SFX.

Besides small things like "Han shoots first" (which I will never understand) , what's there not to like.

I think the only time in my life were I didn't like a Special Edition or director's cut was Alien: Director's Cut, which had a scene that really slowed down a few scenes that should be very intense.

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

Though I have never seen the original films

Do you mean you've never seen Star Wars, Empire and Jedi? Or you've just never seen the original versions? (if it's the first then I'll just shake my head in disbelief).

Either way, I can't recommend them enough. :D

...obviously (this is a SW based board after all ;) )

So yeah: GO WATCH STAR WARS :xp: Chances are that you local video store has a pre-spec-ed verson in, they were releasing them until 1997.

:DB.

I am still a proud owner of my original VHS copies. There was a campaign to have the original versions on DVD as well as the Special Editions - maybe similar to the Alien "Quadrilogy" set. I think the originals are far superior to the SE's. I wish Lucas would stop f**king with what is already a brilliant trilogy, and then he should be shot for making the prequels.

Poor Lucas, maybe one day I'll get knocked on the head and forget everything about Star Wars apart from the original Original Trilogy :p

Now that would be a good feeling ;)

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

I've seen Star Wars. What I mean is I've only seen the Special Editions because I'm only in my late teens so I wasn't around when the original versions of them were released. :):rolleyes:

Bawbag- Well I'll never understand that.

I wasn't in existence around the time of the OT either dude ;)

But it doesn't take a genius to realise they are brilliant films without the added gunk.

And fair point. To each their own I guess =/

Originally posted by TheJackal

You know what i hate about the Special Editions?

How DAMN UGLY Jabba looks! I mean.. WHAT THE HELL!

Industrial Light and Magic are good at 3d effects, but they need to stay away at organic effects cause they just plain SUCK!

Hey you gotta admit though, the Jabba in Ep1 looked much better, they were just getting used to the art of animating cgi characters I guess. For most I found SW CGI characters believeable enough. Yoda was undoubetdly the best...amazing work

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Hey you gotta admit though, the Jabba in Ep1 looked much better, they were just getting used to the art of animating cgi characters I guess. For most I found SW CGI characters believeable enough. Yoda was undoubetdly the best...amazing work

MTFBWYA

haha, not even in Ep1. , some improvement but i didnt like it. you lost his slime feel, the darkness of his skin. the texture. you can fake all you want, the giant puppet controlled by 3 guys covered in wierd goo will never be beated by some cheap animation trick lucas pulled out of his scrotum.

Archived