Home

Valentine's Day!

Mike Windu

Ah... Another thread by me... let's hope this one doesn't get closed due to "high testosterone levels"(thanks weapon x)

Anyway, what are you guys planning to do for this? I myself have a surprise for a certain girl :) Care to hear it? No(today's opposite day so ha! your listening to me). Okay here's the game plan: I know she likes Pirate's of the Caribbean even though she's more into Johnny Depp than Orlando but thats besides the point. I'm gonna have a little quote I guess if you want to call it that, from the movie at the end where Orlando goes " I should have told you from the moment I met you, I love you." Signed Will Turner, and some chocolates and a rose maybe or a fluffy animal :)

So how's that for romantic... or am I stupid? :D

STTCT: About that Girlfriend thread thing you said! I gave good advice! err... was that the boyfriend thread... WHATEVER!:p

Isn't it a bit early for these threads? Well, actually, it's like...2 weeks...almost...

2 WEEKS?!?!?!?

*curls up into a ball and hides*

But yea....don't ask me, Mike, I'm the last guy to know anything about these sorts ;)

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

so who cares?

Women, florists, chocolate dealers and card companies.

I think this is my first valentines day I've actually been dating someone..We've usually broken up before this day........ CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP, now I have to get something...*grumbles under breath*

Whoop de do. This is just another capitalistic holiday where couples everywhere have to buy meaningless gifts for each other to prove that they love each other, and that your love alone isnt enough. Please, just spend and spend, I'm sure the leader of Walmart loves you doing that.

(In other words, I have no girlfriend for Valentine's Day. :p)

Originally posted by XERXES

its a nice day to show how you appreciate your significant other...but I dont believe going out and spending money is the way to do it.

*nods*

i agree.

yes. i agree.

and also like to add something overwhelming like "for me and my girl is every day valentines day."

:D

SCREW IT!! SCREW IT TO HELL!!

I gotta work ALL the night before and since I ain't worked in the past 2 weeks (thank you Kid Rock), I don't have no money to get my honey nothin. So I summarize...

SCREW IT!! SCREW IT TO HELL!!

Little tip, Mike Windu, despite it being far from my place to give one. Don't be a fictional character. Don't be 'Will Turner'. Be yourself. Write something that is from your pen, your heart, and not the pen of some scriptwritter somewhere. You will get much more respect and love from your girlfriend if the signature is yours, the line is yours. Otherwise you might as well buy a commercial 'Pirates of the Caribbean' themed Valentine card.

Trust me, it will work. Enjoy.

Well maybe its just me and people I date, but on Valentine´s day we do nothing. It´s just a commercial day invited by commercial organisations to get money out of our pockets to show you love your significant other. Well, I dont need such day or a waist of my money to show my misey I love her. And same goes for her.

So we show we love each other when we want to, NOT when we have to.

Kiddehs, it's time for a little history lesson.

Valentine's Day

February 14 is Valentine's Day. Although it is celebrated as a lovers' holiday today, with the giving of candy, flowers, or other gifts between couples in love, it originated in 5th Century Rome as a tribute to St. Valentine, a Catholic bishop.

For eight hundred years prior to the establishment of Valentine's Day, the Romans had practiced a pagan celebration in mid-February commemorating young men's rite of passage to the god Lupercus. The celebration featured a lottery in which young men would draw the names of teenage girls from a box. The girl assigned to each young man in that manner would be his sexual companion during the remaining year.

In an effort to do away with the pagan festival, Pope Gelasius ordered a slight change in the lottery. Instead of the names of young women, the box would contain the names of saints. Both men and women were allowed to draw from the box, and the game was to emulate the ways of the saint they drew during the rest of the year. Needless to say, many of the young Roman men were not too pleased with the rule changes.

Instead of the pagan god Lupercus, the Church looked for a suitable patron saint of love to take his place. They found an appropriate choice in Valentine, who, in AD 270 had been beheaded by Emperor Claudius.

Claudius had determined that married men made poor soldiers. So he banned marriage from his empire. But Valentine would secretly marry young men that came to him. When Claudius found out about Valentine, he first tried to convert him to paganism. But Valentine reversed the strategy, trying instead to convert Claudius. When he failed, he was stoned and beheaded.

During the days that Valentine was imprisoned, he fell in love with the blind daughter of his jailer. His love for her, and his great faith, managed to miraculously heal her from her blindness before his death. Before he was taken to his death, he signed a farewell message to her, "From your Valentine." The phrase has been used on his day ever since.

Although the lottery for women had been banned by the church, the mid-February holiday in commemoration of St. Valentine was stilled used by Roman men to seek the affection of women. It became a tradition for the men to give the ones they admired handwritten messages of affection, containing Valentine's name.

The first Valentine card grew out of this practice. The first true Valentine card was sent in 1415 by Charles, duke of Orleans, to his wife. He was imprisoned in the Tower of London at the time.

Cupid, another symbol of the holiday, became associated with it because he was the son of Venus, the Roman god of love and beauty. Cupid often appears on Valentine cards.

Did I ever tell you guys how I do not like Valentine's Day? Valentine's Day ranks up there with Christmas as one of the most commercialized holidays of the year. And according to the Law of Proportions, the more commercialized a holiday becomes, the less it retains of its original significance and meaning. Christmas no longer means a time of family togetherness and celebrating the birth of Christ the Savior, but screaming kids, holiday shopping and spending lots of money on things that will be meaningless within the next few months. It's the same thing for Valentine's Day. In today's society where long-lasting relationships are becoming far less common, Valentine's Day means spend lots of money on whomever you're going out with at the time in hopes that you'll woo them into bed for a holiday romp in the sack. Or, finding a "valentine" to be with so you don't feel left out and spending considerable moolah on them. And for what? Companionship on this one damn day? What makes today so special? Answer me that. And don't give me any bullpuckey about it being an ancient tradition to honor the one you love. Bloody hell, this used to be a day in which men would take women and basically enslave them! (see above)

So yeah. I don't like Valentine's Day. If you truly love your partner and I mean truly, then Valentine's Day should just be any other day in the bucket. What makes couples "love" each other more on this day as compared to any other? Hmm? Just because society says so? I don't think so. Not for me anyway.

Archived