Home

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I saw those $10 PC Game sales going on and I really considered it, but then I remember how much I hate the material greed of America on Black Friday and decided I'd stay home and work on College Applications while reading news articles on men and women who were trampled to death this morning.

VERY GOOD THING: Coworker of mine was at Fry's this morning, and bought an all in one laser printer for 80 bucks that was usually 250. Why is this a good thing? It's for work, where we're using 1 old HP ink printer, a slightly newer HP all in one in printer, and 2 of these beasts:

5121KNE62ML.jpg

Yes, those are the printers we use at work. Cause my uncle uses retarded logic. So Monday morning we get to get rid of all the printers, and put just the one printer in to do everything. I am more overjoyed than you have any idea.

Yeah, I saw those $10 PC Game sales going on and I really considered it, but then I remember how much I hate the material greed of America on Black Friday and decided I'd stay home and work on College Applications while reading news articles on men and women who were trampled to death this morning.

:wstupid:

You just scored massive brownie points with Grampa Grooves. It is bad enough that I am but a cog in the wheel of the retail engine, damned if I am going to drain my bank account on worthless trinkets that were over priced to begin with. I always work on black Friday, damned if I am going to stand in line with all of the nuts to get some goofy deal. My attitude this year, was even if they were giving out million dollar gift cards, I would stay away. This morning I worked the 6 - 2, and called it a day. Same thing I did last year. I am NOT buying any decorations this year. And I will most likely do my Christmas shopping towards the end of the season when all things must go.

I went to one store yesterday morning (Guitarcenter) and there were maybe 5 other people there, the rest of my shopping I did online...

Christmas Presents:

200 Watt, 15" Speaker Acoustic B200 Bass Amp

561707_Xjpg.jpg

Ernie Ball Bass Strings

31tFkwYANUL._SL500_AA160_.jpg

Dunlop Strap Locks

41KBVMZ5AHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence CD

51OA0r4I0AL._SS500_.jpg

Dream Theater - Awake CD

41CiQqO9DmL._SS500_.jpg

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust CD

41mBHs6VjLL._SS400_.jpg

Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

51eQNwoDI9L._SS500_.jpg

Wario Land: Shake It (Wii)

61omGAZzy-L._SS400_.jpg

Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)

31fnQ%2Bt%2BG9L._SS400_.jpg

Christmas Presents I bought for myself:

Rush - Snakes and Arrows Live DVD

51G0qRi6OuL._SS500_.jpg

Rush - Rush In Rio DVD

51BSXYS12JL._SS500_.jpg

Dream Theater - Octavarium CD

31EK4S4XTEL._SS400_.jpg

Things I bought for people:

My friend Andrew:

21 Foot Monster Guitar Cable

My girlfriend:

Juno DVD

51ajBMqwq6L._SS500_.jpg

Superbad DVD

51j4kt0faCL._SS500_.jpg

Across The Universe DVD

51fUpHQfYiL._SS500_.jpg

American History X DVD

51CHHZDW9DL._SS500_.jpg

Bust A Move (SNES)

31MVtXIy4VL._SL500_AA181_.jpg

I Am Legend DVD

51oSWhwkt-L._SS500_.jpg

My Neighbor Totoro DVD

51LvMvY0a4L._SS500_.jpg

Katamari Damacy (PS2)

51J7SDGJ59L._SS500_.jpg

My friend Matt:

Paul McCartney - McCartney

41ZX64DTC8L._SS500_.jpg

Paul McCartney - Ram

51DH6E2QRML._SS500_.jpg

Paul McCartney - Band on the Run

41B6A6psz3L._SS500_.jpg

God bless Amazon...

:wstupid:

You just scored massive brownie points with Grampa Grooves. It is bad enough that I am but a cog in the wheel of the retail engine, damned if I am going to drain my bank account on worthless trinkets that were over priced to begin with. I always work on black Friday, damned if I am going to stand in line with all of the nuts to get some goofy deal. My attitude this year, was even if they were giving out million dollar gift cards, I would stay away. This morning I worked the 6 - 2, and called it a day. Same thing I did last year. I am NOT buying any decorations this year. And I will most likely do my Christmas shopping towards the end of the season when all things must go.

Yeesh, that's scary... Black Friday is pretty evil. And not even a little Christmas tree? Hell, I'm pretty much the opposite of religious (read: non-religious) but dammit if I don't have a tree somewhere on Christmas for the rest of my life. :p

Anyway, guess what! TiE23, the dude that buy's too much stuff? I did no shopping our buying whatsoever yesterday... even if I had the desire, I was only going to try and get BiA: Hell's Highway for $20 at Target... but surprisingly someone is sending me one via Goozex. So meh!

Well I traded in Farcry 2 and Tomb Raider Legend and got

51KTaksQSpL._SS400_.jpg

I also bought

51F9DABHi7L._SS500_.jpg

51EbhiBVbnL._SS500_.jpg

51JTWC5Y4HL._SS500_.jpg

Off of Netflix. Which really had made me watch more movies in the past week then I have in the past month just by getting it with the NXE. One of the most brilliant things since the invention of the DVD. I don't really watch tv that often so I've been catching up on some shows that I've wanted to check out but just never had the chance too.

:lsduel::duel:

I'm surprised no one else went crazy on Black Friday this year. :p I did. But I try and justify it to myself since I haven't bought basically anything all year, holidays/birthdays are the only times I buy things.

I just bought a ton of old NES/SNES games again today at a local store... 20% off. :p

NES:

NES Open Tournament (NES)

Legend of Zelda (NES, With original box)

Urban Champion (NES)

Gumshoe (NES)

Super Empire Strikes Back (SNES)

Space Invaders (SNES)

All came to less than 25 dollars with the 20% off, pretty good.

Christmas Presents:

200 Watt, 15" Speaker Acoustic B200 Bass Amp

You play bass now?

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence CD

What sucks about Dream Theater is that I could've loved them if they strangled their singer. The Glass Prison is such a great song, though.

Rush - Rush in Rio

What happened to that pseudo-Rush epic you were writing a few years ago? The last thing I remember about that was me mocking that it was going to be 10 minutes of G-C-D ad nauseum.

And not even a little Christmas tree?

I HAVE Christmas decorations to put up from my last apartment, and lets not forget about my infamous Star Wars theme tree. I simply refuse to buy any new decorations this year. I choose to make better use of my old ones first. I am not a complete Scrooge, I just refuse to go out on Black Friday. ;)

You play bass now?

What sucks about Dream Theater is that I could've loved them if they strangled their singer. The Glass Prison is such a great song, though.

What happened to that pseudo-Rush epic you were writing a few years ago? The last thing I remember about that was me mocking that it was going to be 10 minutes of G-C-D ad nauseum.

Yeah, I switched from guitar to bass last year because of a lack of (good) bassists around here, and I knew I was nowhere as good as the guitarists I played with.

I love James LaBrie, he had an amazing vocal range. Sometime his vocals can be annoying, but I think without his singing and without the lyrics, dream theater would just be another band. If you love Dream Theater's instrumentation, check out "Liquid Tension Experiment"... its basically everyone from Dream Theater minus LaBrie and Myung (the silent deadly asian dude :p) jamming and improving with the bassist from King Crimson. They put out two albums, wicked good stuff.

And I finished writing the epic, as well as a few concept albums and over 230 songs. ;) Theres music for a few of them, but most of them are just lyrics and ideas in my head right now. :p Its hard to find people who are serious about writing songs, most just wanna jam, which is fine, but its not getting my songs anywhere.

And no, I can't compose music myself since my guitar skills would be limited to something like a GCD progression and its extremely hard to write a song on bass. :p

Oh, also, me and my friends are learning La Villa Strangiato... = very good thing

Another good thing, I got a 1890 on my SATS and finished all my college applications last week. Now we play the waiting game.

Yeah, I switched from guitar to bass last year because of a lack of (good) bassists around here, and I knew I was nowhere as good as the guitarists I played with.

You could be a rhythm guitarist, which has the added benefit of helping immensely with song writing.

And I finished writing the epic, as well as a few concept albums and over 230 songs. ;) Theres music for a few of them, but most of them are just lyrics and ideas in my head right now. :p Its hard to find people who are serious about writing songs, most just wanna jam, which is fine, but its not getting my songs anywhere.

I'm stupid when writing songs. I just harp on a few different ones I have until they're completed. Sure, Albert Einstein more or less followed the same approach in regards to physics, but it's not something you can easily brag about.

And no, I can't compose music myself since my guitar skills would be limited to something like a GCD progression and its extremely hard to write a song on bass. :p

Oh, also, me and my friends are learning La Villa Strangiato... = very good thing

Er, what? Playing a Geddy Lee bass line for a 10-minute song would almost have to mean you can shred at the guitar...

Another good thing, I got a 1890 on my SATS and finished all my college applications last week. Now we play the waiting game.

Pwned! 1920 here. That extra 30 points is a stark reminder that we're all smarter here in the west.

You could be a rhythm guitarist, which has the added benefit of helping immensely with song writing.

I'm stupid when writing songs. I just harp on a few different ones I have until they're completed. Sure, Albert Einstein more or less followed the same approach in regards to physics, but it's not something you can easily brag about.

Er, what? Playing a Geddy Lee bass line for a 10-minute song would almost have to mean you can shred at the guitar...

Pwned! 1920 here. That extra 30 points is a stark reminder that we're all smarter here in the west.

I write all of my songs in a matter of minutes. Its gotten to the point that I don't even think about what I'm writing, the pen just flows and 5-10 minutes later I have a completed song written down in front of me. Sometimes its hard to find inspiration, but once I start a song its really easy for me to finish. And I hardly go back and change lyrics later, I like to keep it the way I left it.

Bass is just easier for me to do than guitar. I would hardly associate Geddy's basslines with shredding. First off, I have a lot of difficulty on forming chords (I always had, even when I played guitar), and since bass chords occur much less frequently, its a lot easier for me. I find bass funner to play too (If its something interesting, that is... none of this AC/DC bull****. :p). Although I was just talking to my friend the other day about trying to learn chords so I can atleast attempt composing music. I've been trying to learn some music theory, but since I only took guitar lessons for like 2 weeks and never took bass lessons, its hard for me to keep up with inadequate online websites attempting to teach.

AND DAMN YOU! :p I bet I beat you on the writing section though. :p I suck at math anyways, so I dont plan on forming a career around it.

I write all of my songs in a matter of minutes. Its gotten to the point that I don't even think about what I'm writing, the pen just flows and 5-10 minutes later I have a completed song written down in front of me. Sometimes its hard to find inspiration, but once I start a song its really easy for me to finish. And I hardly go back and change lyrics later, I like to keep it the way I left it.

It's probably not the best idea to write lyrics without music, though - it's gonna be a bitch fitting them to a song later on. I usually just write the music first, hum a melody over it, and then try to get some lyrics in place.

Bass is just easier for me to do than guitar. I would hardly associate Geddy's basslines with shredding. First off, I have a lot of difficulty on forming chords (I always had, even when I played guitar), and since bass chords occur much less frequently, its a lot easier for me. I find bass funner to play too (If its something interesting, that is... none of this AC/DC bull****. :p). Although I was just talking to my friend the other day about trying to learn chords so I can atleast attempt composing music. I've been trying to learn some music theory, but since I only took guitar lessons for like 2 weeks and never took bass lessons, its hard for me to keep up with inadequate online websites attempting to teach.

Granted, you're likely not going to know how to sweep arpeggios while playing bass, but I still maintain that being good at bass means you're at least proficient with playing single notes on guitar. That being said, though, the chord thing might hamper you down a bit. :p

For learning music theory, I suggest taking an actual class for it. Not only will you get a better grasp of how to make songs, but you'll be able to show off mad sheet music reading skills.

That's uh, what the girls like, right?

AND DAMN YOU! :p I bet I beat you on the writing section though. :p I suck at math anyways, so I dont plan on forming a career around it.

I hate the writing sections for these tests because the 25 minute time limit caters specifically to people who let the pen automatically flow. See, I'm more of a thinker - and by the time I have the entire essay planned out, I only have five minutes left. It's a great approach for AP tests, sure, but sucks when they make you bull**** quickies.

I'm just lucky I did excellent on the critical reading with a 740. Bit of a shame, since I rarely have the attention span to read books. :p

(And I took the ACT too...I got a 29, which turns out to be exactly 1920 according to the conversion charts. :()

Archived