Home

Service Pack 2?

Darth Groovy

I have seen alot of complaints from people here about Microjunk's SP2. Today I rebooted my computer, and got a windows update, I went ahead and let it start the update, then it said it was for Service Pack 2, so I cancelled it. Did I do the right thing? Also, what is it exactly about Service Pack 2 that is screwing up the pcs?:confused:

I find SP2 annoying with IE because you have to mess with options and know what exactly to mess with, of course it doesn't matter with firefox. SP2 can also create problems in some games of not being able to run. It includes a firewall, but I think you'd be better off with a seperate one because I just tend to find microsoft stuff like this more annoying than good after having to mess with it.

I found the firewall and pop-up blocker to be very annoying at first - but once I configured it I havent' had any problems. My computer actually has been running better and faster since it's been installed. I havent' used divx with it yet - but all my .other ..programs work great ;)

I'd try it out - worst that could happen is you uninstall it or go back in the recovery system date to before you installed.

Originally posted by STTCT

I found the firewall and pop-up blocker to be very annoying at first - but once I configured it I havent' had any problems. My computer actually has been running better and faster since it's been installed. I havent' used divx with it yet - but all my .other ..programs work great ;)

I'd try it out - worst that could happen is you uninstall it or go back in the recovery system date to before you installed.

Like Whoa....Shannon is BACK!!!! :eek:

I have avoided getting it for 2 reasons:

- I believe my security is better than anything MS could provide

- Have heard horrible stories that Dell Inspiron laptops suffer massive clockspeed reductions (2.6GHz -> 300MHz)

the firewall with SP2 doesn't allow programs access to ports without your say so. this is to stop hackers getting access to your machine. now some games or programs require access to ports in order to run. You have two options if this problem occurs… 1) go into the firewall and access the advanced settings, then simply add the games/programs to the exceptions box. 2) or simply turn the firewall off.

i haven't heard about any other problems with SP2 and i haven't experienced any either.

Firstly: I got SP2, all i've noticed is that a firewall installed, which I shut off, and also, I now have a little blue boot up bar instead of a green one.... hmm...

Secondly: i'm with Grooves. Like Whoa....Shannon is BACK!!!! :eek:

Thirdly: Bawbag, drugs are bad for you :xp:

(yes, i'm j/k, I know what you mean by stoned.)

Originally posted by IG-64

Firstly: I got SP2, all i've noticed is that a firewall installed, which I shut off, and also, I now have a little blue boot up bar instead of a green one.... hmm...

Secondly: i'm with Grooves. Like Whoa....Shannon is BACK!!!! :eek:

Ditto. No real changes. There was a performance test for various games which I read earlier. SP 2 had for most games a little bit less, and for games like ET a little bit more...

I have installed it or helped to install it on at least 5 PCs at this point and have yet to encounter any real problems afterwards.

But if you are really careful with your PC's security it's not really needed. It's more for people who don't know what a firewall is, or that they need to update thier software and anti-virus definitions occasionally.

well, i've just taken the leap and ordered XP (which will probably come with SP2 installed)... so i probably have a week of nightmares as i try and get everything running with XP.

Had to upgrade at last, looks like HL2 will require Xp... (could have coped with missing doom3, but not HL2 as well).

Any more info on the DivX thing? I use divX a lot.

I think i am gonna regret this...

Archived