Home

Overpowered, overpriced

Lynk Former

The next generation of consoles are being released late this year and some time next year. All of them will have some extremely impressive technology, but is it all NEEDED or is it just to say "my system specs are better than yours"?... I feel that things may be at the point where console are becoming overpowered, games will become too complex for their own good in terms of development and as a result other parts of the game will suffer from it. Also, I'm worried about price, consoles are SUPPOSED to be cheap since they're meant to be used for one thing... gaming, but now we've got consoles doing more than just gaming with specs that sound impressive but is all this power going to go to good use in the end?... Wouldn't it be better to instead of beefing up a console, try to find new ways of making games more efficient and easier to develop? Because in the end if you can do that you'll end up getting the same results with less overall power and at the same time making your console cheap and AFFORDABLE.

Discuss... or I'll poke you :p

... *pokes*

So what, exactly, is this whole "Club LFNetwork" thing all about?

Originally posted by Lynk Former

All of them will have some extremely impressive technology, but is it all NEEDED or is it just to say "my system specs are better than yours"?

Actually, if you read interviews on Revolution, they say that the system specs won't even matter any more.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm specifically worried about developers favoring Shrek-like graphics over gameplay and maybe story. Of course, I wouldn't mind to have both:D, but such a game could be rare.

I also think that now since companies favor the masses instead of hardcore gamers, games in general would become easier and such.

Also, I'm worried about price, consoles are SUPPOSED to be cheap since they're meant to be used for one thing... gaming, but now we've got consoles doing more than just gaming with specs that sound impressive but is all this power going to go to good use in the end?

Well, like all consoles, prices start out high, but then get lowered by the times and competition. So I'm ok with that... As for the extra specs, yeah they're unnesessary, *cough*N-Gage*cough* but overall, some are good. Like the DVD player compabilities. More of a luxury, but I'll take it. ;)

Wouldn't it be better to instead of beefing up a console, try to find new ways of making games more efficient and easier to develop? Because in the end if you can do that you'll end up getting the same results with less overall power and at the same time making your console cheap and AFFORDABLE.

Hmm. You make a good point. But I think that current technology could only do so much, and that's why you need more powerful devices. There've been some exceptions(say, Morrowind Game of the Year Edition cramming its expansions into one game, or maybe even a Sims Delux package), but I think techonological advances is the trend for the future and the industry.

... *pokes*

*pokes you back so I can use this smilie* :stick:

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Bastard child of the swamp and senate, more serious than the swamp, less serious than the senate. Or atleast that's my take.

I hope not, i'd rather have like, a swamp, just for all the people at LF, and have it LF based, instead of JK based. Although a bit more seriousness would be nice, but just a bit, because I personally loathe the senate.

Originally posted by IG-64

i'd rather have like, a swamp, just for all the people at LF, and have it LF based, instead of JK based. Although a bit more seriousness would be nice, but just a bit

Uh... that's what I said. It's like a mix of the swamp and the senate, swamp in that it's off topic general discussion, senate as in none of that photoshop/game thread/ LJ-ish thread BS that has infected the swamp.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Uh... that's what I said. It's like a mix of the swamp and the senate, swamp in that it's off topic general discussion, senate as in none of that photoshop/game thread/ LJ-ish thread BS that has infected the swamp.

K.

Sounds good to me.

Now that that's cleared up, back to the topic.

Hmmm.... I think I paid less for my XBox and PS2 than I did for my GameCube when it first came out. Then again, I bought the other 2 after it's been out for a few years :p

I think in the $200 range should be the most a console costs. They should cost less than an average spec computer.

(I know these arn't consoles)

PSP: $300ish

DS: $150ish

The PSP can play movies and music too! Wow! You have to buy the special discs for them! The DS is both a DS and GameBoy Advanced.

Back to consoles, I have a feeling the Nentindo Revolution will cost less than the PS3 and XBox2 because those two are trying to have better specs than each other, while Nintendo is going for revolutionary and gameplay.

ah...good discussion...it all comes down to games of course. xbox won in my book cause of all the rpging and kotor, as well as the xbox live thing. but...i think i'm gonna stick w/pc now that i have one that i can actually upgrade when Elder Scrolls IV comes around. :)

Wouldn't it be better to instead of beefing up a console, try to find new ways of making games more efficient and easier to develop?

That happens while the consoles are on the market. Compare Ridge Racer and Rage Racer for PSX, for instance. Same hardware, but a giant difference in result.

Originally posted by IG-64

I personally couldn't care less about online play in consoles. And I hope they don't spent too much time on that in the upcoming consoles.

Same here. I'm perfectly content with my Gamecube playing 007: Nightfire with my friends; online play isn't a necessity by my book.

Good Games make a great console - and not just one but many that you can look back to and go - man remember Resident Evil? Remember playing 007 on N64 in multiplayer with a bunch of friends?

This crap about throwing a great console out there with games that are old, tired and done before are getting old. I want good story line - fun multi player games and let's get some non-gory games out there that aren't Mario. My son is going to be playing games soon and I don't want him to be playing Playboy Mansion etc... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Theres nothing wrong with Mario. :-p Lol.

Have you seen the new Zelda, thats what im talking about. Games like that make a system, very nice graphics (look at it!), excellant gameplay (its zelda), and hopefully a good storyline. All in one, but not requiring huge ammounts of system resources.

My computer (minus the video card) is better than what is rumored to be in the Revolution, yet it will be able to play games that require 10 X that on a PC (in a few years).

The problem is that people will down the revolution for not being as "beefed up" as the other systems. Even though the cost is low, releasing the Revolution last will hurt sales. The company that releases the next console first will get instant results and temporary control of the gaming market (because there is no other console like it on the markey currently.) I think thats what hurt gamecube (not to mention people thinking its "kiddy".)

• 3 weeks later...

The graphics engine depends on the game itself. You mean the specs?

Yeah, XBOX is slightly more powerful than the other systems, but its never utilized 100%, so it doesn't matter, at least, not in most games. Doom 3 might use everything the Xbox has, but even then... is it worth buying a beefed up system that has stuff you don't need? So what if it has 700 Mhz... and GCN has 600 (I guess...) The specs are around that area. 100 Mhz doesn't matter that much.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by DarthMoeller

With the preview I've seen for the Next Generation Madden, I'd say that game alone is worth the overpricing. It looks SWEET.

I'll buy it for PC. The video looks great.

Consoles are ok, but I like the customizaton of PC games. Even Xbox Live can't compete with that.

PC gaming is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

These consoles are trying to do to much. The DVD conpatibility is a nice feature, but I watch DVDs on my CPU. Thats's mostly because I am more comfortable there, though.

Over powered feaures will sell consoles. Thats an unfourtunant fact.

• 4 months later...
The next generation of consoles are being released late this year and some time next year. All of them will have some extremely impressive technology, but is it all NEEDED or is it just to say "my system specs are better than yours"?... I feel that things may be at the point where console are becoming overpowered, games will become too complex for their own good in terms of development and as a result other parts of the game will suffer from it. Also, I'm worried about price, consoles are SUPPOSED to be cheap since they're meant to be used for one thing... gaming, but now we've got consoles doing more than just gaming with specs that sound impressive but is all this power going to go to good use in the end?... Wouldn't it be better to instead of beefing up a console, try to find new ways of making games more efficient and easier to develop? Because in the end if you can do that you'll end up getting the same results with less overall power and at the same time making your console cheap and AFFORDABLE.

Discuss... or I'll poke you :p

... *pokes*

I feel that things may be at the point where console are becoming overpowered, games will become too complex for their own good in terms of development and as a result other parts of the game will suffer from it.

During the 1980s-early 90s, technology was too powerful. Explination, software had to catch up with technology. We had a point in information system history, which people were making software that was way below specs. Now, when it comes to consoles, I think that console companies are trying to prevent a 1990s game production slow down. During a console's life, the software companies (game developers), play catchup to technology. Microsoft XBox is an example of this, for game designers just recently started to use the XBox's max specs. It took about five years for game developers to catch up with the potential of the XBox. Therefore, it will take another four to five years until game developers create games that actually utilize the XBox's and PS3's max potential. Will other parts of the game suffer? Probally for the first couple of years, but when game developers get use to the system they will start making games smarter.

Also, I'm worried about price, consoles are SUPPOSED to be cheap since they're meant to be used for one thing...

I feel the same way. During the last six to seven years, the game developer and console industry expanded to big money. With Microsoft at the front of the game, the price of a console will be steep. Another factor is that Microsoft makes games for an older age group. Since gamers are getting older, Microsoft is betting on adults buying games for themselves. Unlike children who need adults to buy game consoles, young adults don't need parents inorder to pull out a few hundred dollars. It is a very smart move on Microsoft's end. Unfortunatly, people who can't buy the console at $400, will have to wait a few years, for they drop in price. Bad problem with this is that the price drops when the console is ready to leave the market.

(I hope I made a little sense.)

Well, even though the consoles are ready to leave the market, you can still buy used games. What games that will be available will be at a reduced price aswell, so sometimes its best to grab a console last minute and buy a ton of cheap games.

Right now I am betting M$ will be last. PS3=1 Rev =2. Just my speculation, what do you guys think?

Archived