Home

The Critic's 2 cents

have I been honest and not overly critical?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. have I been honest and not overly critical?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol:

I do like the spell check on Word (though it will miss some things if the word is spelled correctly but used incorrectly). It does catch the obvious spelling errors and typos.

The grammar check drives me crazy, and IMO is almost worthless for creative writing. It's tagging a lot of my stuff as incorrect when I know it's just fine, and that's not including things like fragments which I already know will be tagged as incorrect. I'm finding it's correct only about 10-20% of the time for the creative writing process. It works a little better for things like non-fiction reports/journal articles (probably around 50% or better), but it still tags a lot of things wrong that shouldn't be tagged as incorrect.

Been there done that. I still write it in word, mainly because: a) sheer simplicity and b) [i'm not bragging here...well, maybe a little] I type so dang gone fast, that I sometimes do siad or jsut. Stuff like that. It automatically changes that, so I like it. But it ticks me off, if I write "Dang." and it underlines it.

But it ticks me off, if I write "Dang." and it underlines it.

Precisely my problem. It interrupts my accurate and fast fingers from continuing running on this buttoned device and land up on the black, curvaceous object, move it, then press the big black button on it, reset the type cursor and restart typing. The Laziness! The Laziness!

^Yup. There is so much effort that goes into it. I simply press F7, and it does spell check. So, I dont have to go threw so much torture upon my mind and body, as to move my curvacious fingers on the device that moves the cursor, then move this 'cursor' and press ABC (check).

...http://tysyacha.livejournal.com

:)

Thank you so much for reviewing Pravda! I have

written some more, although on a different subject.

I don't know whether I should continue this play

or not, because it's not going the way I think a

KOTOR game should. There's not enough combat

by a mile, and I..I don't know. Could you please

tell me what you think, and whether I am wasting

my time or not writing this huge monster play?

Sincerely,

Tysyacha

^Yup. There is so much effort that goes into it. I simply press F7, and it does spell check. So, I dont have to go threw so much torture upon my mind and body, as to move my curvacious fingers on the device that moves the cursor, then move this 'cursor' and press ABC (check).

Speaking of things that point out little mistakes... ;)

IMHO, Spell Check is boring and interrupts me, especially because it picks up all the proper nouns as errors. Whats more, my Word dictionary seemingly has a problem and no matter how many times I switch it to "English (UK)" or "English (India)", it just snaps back to English (US). Now I just ignore the bloody thing and manually spell check the whole chapter when I'm done.

I never review my own work, its one of my...pet peeves. I just hope that spell check picks the damn stuff up :)

Think of it this way instead--it's your chance to find any little problems before your readers find them for you. :D I view it as a challenge or game to find all the problems I can possibly find before sending it out. It also gives me a chance to make sure I'm not saying something terminally stupid or unintentionally offensive, and believe me, I've written some wild stuff entirely on accident and caught it at the last minute before hitting send/submit. I still have my moments, but I catch most of them before they leave my computer. :)

IMHO, Spell Check is boring and interrupts me, especially because it picks up all the proper nouns as errors. Whats more, my Word dictionary seemingly has a problem and no matter how many times I switch it to "English (UK)" or "English (India)", it just snaps back to English (US). Now I just ignore the bloody thing and manually spell check the whole chapter when I'm done.

I know your pain. This is a glitch in word, even if you set the default to English UK it still wants to go with US and they are not the same!

Anyway, although it's tedious to be very honest if you don't do your editing, grammar and spell check it ruins the experience for the reader. You may have a wonderful idea but it's going to get lost as your readers try and pick through the mistakes to get to your meaning. Most readers just aren't that dedicated.

You can make a much bigger impact if you do all that you can to clean up your story to make it readable. I edit my chapters somewhere around 10-20 times each and that's just for content.

Wow. I usually start ten and then finish them depending on the mood I am in. This week it is a textbook on GIS and samurai sword techniques along with some fanfics.

I guess we are in the same boat in terms of read load eh mach? :D

My thing is when I am working on something I sometimes do a lot of research. I have been working off and on on a book about war crimes and in the past three months have read three based about the Civil War, two about the Boer War, seven books about WWI, three about WWII, and am now reading one about Korea.

Coruscant Entertainment Center

An Inverse of Stars: Part One

PazaakPrincess

An Alternate ending to KOTOR

An excellent work by this new writer. The problems are the same as I dun into all of you. reread and rewrite. This needs so little revision I hated to actually tell her to do anything with it.

The death and rebirth of Taris

Maverick5770

The aftermath of Taris as people struggle out of the wreckage.

Kid, the same thing I tell everyone here. First, concentrate on what you are trying to portray, then write a little bit slower. Reread your work and use your spelling checker.

On the whole, it is an excellent start. I was surprised that Zelka survived, but hey, it’s you’re story not mine. The pulling together in adversity tone you have taken portrays one possibility in any disaster. What I want is more of it to read.

Vader's Trial

sithlordsadique

Five years after the Revenge of the Sith. Darth Vader faces his worst enemy, his own mind...

Except for spelling and minor grammatical errors, there is nothing to say against this work. I didn’t even notice how far I had gotten in it until I ran out of story to read.

Now THAT is what a story is supposed to do!

The Galactic Senate Coruscant theater

A Lust For Blood-

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Set concurrent with the events of SW A New Hope: A Tusken Raider finds a niche in Galactic Society...

From the third Paragraph, I was hooked. The style is clean needing only proofreading and editing. The subject matter excellent. Well Done!

Lightsaber Battle

Luvien

A very short lightsaber battle. No time set.

The piece is too short to really judge. The style is good, but there is nothing to tell you who what or why. I was dissatisfied for that reason alone.

Palpatine, From humble beginnings

Jacen Solo

During the events of The Phantom menace from Palpatine’s journal.

This is Jacen Solo’s second time in the spotlight, and as before, his style is good. All he needs to do is edit, proofread, and remember conversation breaks. An interesting idea well done.

kotorfanmedia

Knights of Redemption

Soser

KOTOR Alternate Universe: An additional main character spices the mix.

By adding an additional character Soser has rewritten the entire story. In a lot of cases, this would be a bad thing, but the story is excellent, the character well considered before his addition. All is all an excellent read.

Last Farewell

mellyna

Set somewhere during the interim of KOTOR II. Revan says goodbye to the Ebon Hawk

This is the second time mellyna has graced my maundering. The piece is short but sweet. Too short to really satisfy, but well done.

The Coming Darkness, Prologue

Darth Kronos

A Dark Jedi Master contemplates the universe.

Darth Kronos has given us a view of the universe that is not unique, but well considered. What if the bad guys in all of our star wars stories, all of Lucas’ stories were trying to save the galaxy, not destroy it? DK only looks at Exar Kun and Revan, but it is a thought provoking read.

My biggest problem with adding this to my work load is I honestly don’t have time to hunt down and read every bit of the works I have enjoyed.

Archived