Home

XBOX 360 Launch

Darth Groovy

As an assistant manager at GameStop, i'm scheduled to work tonite for the midnight release of the XBOX 360.

This is my first major system launch, and frankly I am scared to death. The phone calls have been flooding us, and everybody and they're sister wants this thing ASAP, however we are only getting 22 units shipped to us on launch day. The part that sucks about that most, is that we have over a hundred reservations in our store. Now most of these customers are part of wave 2 shipments, for which we have no scheduled date as to when they can purchase they're systems. All we can promise them, is that we will personally call them in chronological order when the system arrives. This is this year's "tickle me Elmo" and people have already gone nuts over this thing.

That being said, is anyone working at a store that is part of the midnight sale, OR is anyone participating in this event? It could be violent, and I may call the police if things get out of control. :(

Wish me luck eh?

I was in my local EBGames last week picking up Kingdom of Paradise for the PSP, and two guys were in front of me who had each pre-ordered back in May (different times) and neither of whom were getting a system on launch. Things started getting nasty ... and after they left I commented ... do you think that some people who aren't getting a 'launch system' will come anyway and be nasty about stuff ... he said - yes, and I'm dreading it - those guys were some of the more polite ones, I've had people with babies in their arms swearing at me.

... good luck ...

Mike

From what they are reporting that theres gonna be a shortage of 360's, so you might get one or you might not. It could also be a thing to try to boost sales. Some are selling on ebay for around $800 dollars, that ive heard from some tech news. Im not really into consoles anymore. My last console was a N64, so that says alot. So good luck and I guess will will see if that report was just a rumor.

Hehe. I'm not 'participating' in the midnight purchase dealy, but I did see someone with a tent out side of Best Buy when I was in town yesterday. They had a sign that said 'XBox360 line here'. Funny. :D

Groovski, I wish you all the best and hopefully you don't get trampled. BTW remember to buy a cattle prod and your evening will be just that much easier. :D

I prefer to watch the madness from the couch, then get highlights of all the chaos. I'll grab a system in spring when there's more games available, the system cheaper and any major kinks have been ironed out (hopefully).

That's what I am doing. I reserved one, but then I found out how much they cost, and no thanks to the madness, i've decided to wait. I have plenty to keep me busy on the current xbox. I've decided to get a PSP this year instead of the XBOX.

God, I just wish it was all over. Microsuck could probably make 40 million of these things, and they are probably stockpiled in a warehouse in Fiji somewhere, but somehow they consider this shortage good business, or else they hate the retailers that sell this stuff for them. Bastards.

If I do get a 360 at some point it won't be for another year or two. Looks like I won't be getting it any later than some of those who pre-ordered.

Suckers.

Haha, I was just about to say that too.

Anyways, good luck. You'll need it. The Gamestop near hear is quite small, (I don't know how it is over there...) so it could get rough.

22 units is gonna be tough...

I prefer to watch the madness from the couch, then get highlights of all the chaos. I'll grab a system in spring when there's more games available, the system cheaper and any major kinks have been ironed out (hopefully).

^ Summed it up nicely.

I am in no hurry to get a 360. I don't see why people are freaking out over shortages. Microsoft will make more. People are stupid.

Besides, the only good game I'm even remotely interested in is Dead or Alive.

That being said, is anyone working at a store that is part of the midnight sale, OR is anyone participating in this event? It could be violent, and I may call the police if things get out of control. :(

Wish me luck eh?

If you work at a mall you could just have security around. But I'm guessing you don't, so just let only 22 people in the store at a time and call it a fire safety reason :p

My husband works for Target as some of you know. Any way, he's got 20 at his store for launch day. They did not have pre-orders. I wonder how many people will be getting in line today? Target is not having a midnight sale - so theirs starts at 8am. I think that's earlier than Best Buy.

I'm thinking 20 is pretty much the standard number of units for each shipment.

So I survived the launch. Alot of you have probably seen the hightlights of the madness from the couch (like Rhett) on the 10pm news by now. Hopefully that answers all the mad questions I get about availabilty. Microsuck shorted us on accesories. We did not recieve enough Play & Charge kits to meet the demand of our reserves. What the HELL is wrong with those people? :mad:

Is it me or are the best launch titles Joust, Gauntlet, Robotron and Galaxy Wars?

Only other one worth buying a system for is PDZ, and that is either going to rock or be a huge disappointment though, so i'm waiting for a consensus to develop on that one.

Archived