Home

Movies of the year (2005 that is)

toms

We seem to have had game, music and swampies of the year threads, but no movies ones? (unless i missed it). Hmm, lets see..

1. Sin City

2. Million Dollar Baby (Jan 2005 in uk)

3. Harry Potter & the Goblet of fire

4. Brotherhood (taegukgi)

5. Serenity

6. Oldboy

7. Batman Begins

8. Team America (2005 in uk)

9. Howl's moving Castle

10. Ong Bak

Also: 11.Revenge of the Sith, 12.Land of the Dead, 13. House of Flying Daggers, 14.Curse of the Were Rabbit, 15.Wedding Crashers, 16. War of the Worlds, 17. King Kong

Ones i meant to watch but missed: Crash, Corpse Bride, History of Violence

and finally - Awesome older films i finally got to see this year: Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind, My Sassy Girl, My wife is a gangster, End of Evangelion

I'm sure i've forgotten one...

RotS isn't even in your top 10!?

I didn't see near as many movies this year as I wanted, so my top movies would be...

1. Revenge of the Sith

2. Batman Begins

3. Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

4. War of the Worlds

5. King Kong

I didn't see a ton I wanted to, included Narnia (yet), Serenity, Sin City, Wedding Crashers, Corpse Bride, and I'm sure a few more.

1. Batman Begins

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Sin City

4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

5. Howl's Moving Castle (The Dubbed version)

6. King Kong

7. Serenity

I personally thought most of the other movies released sucked.

Million Dollar Baby was dreadful, especially. I never understood the draw to it.

Ong Bak is no where near top 10 or anything, it's good, but the story is nothing that isn't in 65% of every other martial arts film. Something gets stolen, dudes gotta fight a bunch of ****ers for to get it back.

And Oldboy is from 2003.

The Chronicles of Narnia

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Cinderella Man

Hotel Rwanda

Batman Begins

Revenge of the Sith

Sin City

KING KONG!

Wedding Crashers was a riot. :D

EDIT: Did Underworld come out in 2005? I just saw that one and it was cool. :)

I know that there was plenty of other good ones, but I can't think of them now...

@toms: You can absolutely skip A History of Violence. It sucked big time. I was extremely disappointed. The main character (Viggo Mortensen) just isn't likeable enough to care what happens in the end, and while the acting is great the whole way through it just seemed like the whole attitude of the thing was forced. And true to the title, it was rather violent, but not in the way that really helps a movie along and shows the severity of the situation; nah it was just bloody and gross for not much reaon at all. Not to mention the extremely frightening scene on the stairs. *shudders*

- I debated a lot about whether Ong Bak or RotS got the 10th spot, so they are pretty much even. I think ong bak got extra points for effort ;) You can count RotS as joint 10th if you want!

- Foreign films are hard to date, as they get released so much later over here. Oldboy only got it's cinematic release in the UK at the end of 2004, but since that was in about 3 cinemas total the first chance anyone really had to watch it was the dvd release this year. (Brotherhood didn't even get a cinema release, so i'm counting the dvd release date for that too!)

- Watched Million DOllar baby again a few nights back and it reminded me just what an awesome film it is.

Just watched Lord of War. Awesome movie. I would say best movie all year was Batman Begins closely followed by RotS and Wedding Crashers. Corpse Bride was fantastic. Can't wait for that on DVD. Sin City was good too, but not so great the second time through. I have still yet to see Kong or Narnia. Gonna see one of them this week; not sure which.

And to toms, Tae Guki was better than all those that didn't make your top 10? :confused: That movie was alright, but no where near getting onto my list. The Tai Warrior is supposed to be even worse.

And to toms, Tae Guki was better than all those that didn't make your top 10? :confused: That movie was alright, but no where near getting onto my list. The Tai Warrior is supposed to be even worse.

Maybe its because i've seen it more recently than a lot of the other ones??

I thought it was the best war film i've seen in years (since saving private ryan, and the story is a lot better than that, its just SPR's opening sequence was so stunning at the time).

Haven't heard of the other one.

Saw lots of movies last year, my top 5 were probably:

1. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

2. Serenity

3. Lord of War

4. Crash

5. Million Dollar Baby

I *really* want to see The Constant Gardener - and from what I've heard, it'll probably make the top 5.

Best film I saw that didn't come out last year was probably The Hudsucker Proxy - the Coen brothers at their best, brilliant film.

@ toms. I like Tae Guki. There's never any movies made about the Korean War, letalone the tale of a different army. It's melodramatic ending spoiled some of the beauty of it, but there were some really moving parts.... Still, I've seen far better foreign and war film. Then again, I've seen far worse. And the Tai Warrior is the same movie as Ong Bak. That's what our customers call it at least. It's on the DVD cover below the name too so it must be the American version or something :shrug:

I *really* want to see The Constant Gardener - and from what I've heard, it'll probably make the top 5.

I rented that a week ago. I couldn't get into it. It's from the director of City of God (not only the best foreign film I've seen, it's also one of the better crime movies out there) and this film was great in that regard. Ralph Fiennes was annoying though and I didn't know what the hell was going on for 35 minutes and that's why I turned it off. I may try again later this week.

Oh yeah, Crash was another overrated movie I couldn't get into. I finished it, but I've seen far better films this year.

Star Wars Ep. III (Finally, they got it right!)

The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy (Not perfect, but still good! And could have gone so very, very wrong!)

War of the Worlds (Sufficiently epic.)

I'm looking forward to seeing King Kong, Narnia, Harry Potter, Munich, and Syriana... I just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Oh well... they'll all be on DVD soon enough I guess...

1) Doom

Yeah, that's it...*hides in shell*

I'm not surprised you are hiding! :o

Narnia, Hitchhikers and Charlie all had interesting elements, but nothing that would get them close to any best of list of mine.

@Katarn07: Yeah, but all korean movies are melodromatic, i was actually impressed how unmelodramatic they managed to keep it. ;)

It was just nice to have a war movie with a decent plot, rather than the schamltz that was SPR or Pearl Harbour or the "take a hill" type plot that was We were soldiers or Thin red line. I liked the "do insane missions to win a medal" idea.

If Thai warrior is Ong Bak then it has nothing remotely original in terms of plot (do any martial arts films??) but the sheer exuberance and skill that went into making it, and the insanity and skill of some of the stunts/fights makes it quite lovable to me and gives it a lot of charm. Its a lot like some of the old jackie chan films, that might have had bad plots, bad acting and bad budgets - but you loved them nontheless due to the obvious skill, blood and heart that had gone into making them.

Also, a bit like the batman begins effect, the fact it was a contrast to all the polished, OTT cgi prevalent recently added a lot to it's charm. Takes a long time to get going though.

Constant Gardener and A Life Aquatic are also on my must watch list.

Archived