Home

PC DVD-only

Alkonium

What storage medium would you want Kotor III on?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What storage medium would you want Kotor III on?

• DVD only
    • DVD and CD
    • CD only
    • I don't care

DVDs are vastly superior to CDs for any purpose, and yet only two Lucasarts PC games are available on DVD: Battlefront II and Empire at War. Both previous Kotor games each had four CDs and no DVD version, and I'm just guessing that Kotor III will be on even more CDs. I for one believe that there should be no CD version of any computer game anymore, and they should all be on DVD. How would you feel about the PC version of Kotor III being DVD-only?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and those without now have a good reason to bring their computers up to date.

I don't think some consumers would quite see it that way. ;)

You have a good point, though. Sooner or later CDs are going to be obsolete: they have to switch sometime. Better to do it while the technology is still emerging.

Well by the time they get around to making Kotor 3 I'll have gotten a newer computer, possibly dual DVD/RW with Lightscribe. So I'll go with DVD only, besides KOTOR 3 will probebly only be on Vista so with some games going to DVD the reasonable person will have a DVD rom drive.

Personally I'm hoping for the day when flash memory becomes cheap enough to become the universal format or Blu-ray

I don't know what the additional costs would be to make both DVD and CD media for the next KotOR. I'm not opposed to having the game released on both types of media but I definitely want to buy it on DVD because I just don't like having all those CD-ROM's lying around. Using them only for installation purposes seems really inefficient to me (excepting disc 1 of course since it's the play disc).

^^^

If KotOR 3 is produced before the end of 2007 it won't be restricted to a 64-bit CPU only. There are simply too many 32-bit processors out there and it wouldn't make sense for any game publisher to do that if they wanted their game to be profitable as they would be limiting their game distribution to a comparatively small market segment.

I for one believe that there should be no CD version of any computer game anymore, and they should all be on DVD. How would you feel about the PC version of Kotor III being DVD-only?

It's not a big deal for me. I still remember the times when games came out on more than 10 floppy disks - *that* was annoying.

How we feel about it, doesn't matter anyway. Game companies know very well, how the computers of their peer group are equipped and if they think that enough of the possible K3-buyers got DVD-drives, they will publish K3 on DVD...

DvD's are far more superior.

I just hate it when i need to change cd's all the time. With just one DvD, it will run far more smoother.

Most of the PC's have DvD drivers at this time. I would prefer DvD, although they should make a Rom version too. Otherwise, they could loose some gamers.

Some of us hang on to our computers for awhile, so I'd like the option of buying it in either medium.

Yeah, like me. My XP has been upgraded to a 1 gig from a 256mb, then you still have virtual memory...;)

But it doesn't have a DVD drive, and everywhere I look is too expensive to have one added. Prices range from $210 USD to $450 USD. I'm NOT doing it.

:eyeraise: What there's no option for 51/2" diskettes? j/k

I don't mind CDs but it's starting to be obsolete for games. New computers all sell with a DVD drives. I paid $52 Canadian dollars for a very good pioneer DVD drive. It took less than five minutes to install and it runs like a charm :D

You can get a DVD drive for like $50!

It took less than 30 seconds with google to find drives for less than 30 USDs. Just out of curiosity: Can someone tell me a good price research site for the US? From what I found it seems that prices for computer parts are somewhat higher in the USA than in Germany and I find that quite hard to believe...

It took less than 30 seconds with google to find drives for less than 30 USDs. Just out of curiosity: Can someone tell me a good price research site for the US? From what I found it seems that prices for computer parts are somewhat higher in the USA than in Germany and I find that quite hard to believe...

You could try http://newegg.com/ seems to be suggested a lot by folks I know in the USA.

:eyeraise: What there's no option for 51/2" diskettes? j/k

I don't mind CDs but it's starting to be obsolete for games. New computers all sell with a DVD drives. I paid $52 Canadian dollars for a very good pioneer DVD drive. It took less than five minutes to install and it runs like a charm :D

The computer I play the Kotor games on came with a DVD drive, but I actually found a DVD drive a Wal-Mart for only $30, which is about half of what Kotor III will likely cost, which is a sign that they're not expensive anymore.

The computer I play the Kotor games on came with a DVD drive, but I actually found a DVD drive a Wal-Mart for only $30, which is about half of what Kotor III will likely cost, which is a sign that they're not expensive anymore.

Yes, but you have to see that you're talking about the US (or Canada, or any other northern countries), and computer accesories are much cheper there. In Brasil, for example, you can't get a decent dvd drive for less than $250 of our money, which is quite a bit. I know most of LA fan's base is in northern countries, but I wouldn't be surprised that their overall sales went down 15% if they made it on DVDs only.

I would like to see something similar to what they did for E@W, make a CD version and a slightly more expensive colectors edition on DVD.

I would like to see something similar to what they did for E@W, make a CD version and a slightly more expensive colectors edition on DVD.

I disagree. If they do make it for both formats, I think that they should have the CD and DVD versions equally priced and equally distributed, or the DVD version more available, or the CD version non-existant.

Archived