Home

Post 'em if you got 'em. (Picture thread = 56k Warning)

El Sitherino

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Tommy: Holy S*** homes... you'd fit in quite well with your looks at my guild

I used to play Bass as well. Actually I have a Fender Squire Precision bass (nothing too fancy, but it works), and my old crimson red memphis I got in back in 4th grade. Plus a '68 Voxton guitar. (I think the fender is the only one functional right now)

Never was cut out for the music biz, though. I occasionally to rarely hit off some riffs of Sabbath and Manson, some others too...and simple power chords when I decide to drag my beasts out. Occasionally, but I don't really play much any more.

@ edlib: YEH YEH YEH!

I've switched back to Ibanez for bass. Once Fender bought out Jackson, I decided to stop endorsing them. Since they had so few 5 string players, they wanted to keep me, but they dropped my guitarist. Really didn't matter for the guitarist since they stopped carrying the 7 string guitars. Right now I'm digging the Ibanez and Schecter basses. I like Warwicks for their sound, but with as active as I am on stage, they'd break me. Might give Spector basses a try as well. Guess it kinda depends on who's willing to give me a new endorsement haha.

As for my rig, I have to fight my urge to go with Ampeg. But I use GK cabinets now, and a basic GK head unit(just trying new stuff out). I get almost all my sound from my Line 6 Bass POD XT Live. I'm thinking of going with PA amplification and using the Amp modeling of the Line 6. Why yes... I am a sound junkie. I take a lot of time figuring out what I want for my sound.

As a front-of-house sound engineer, I would totally get behind your direct-to-P.A. idea.

I mix in a 1,200-seat theater... and I can't tell you how many nights there's never any bass in the mix thanks to bass rig on stage turned up loud. Doesn't really even have to be a big one, either...

I always ask them to turn down, or even just take off some low end to give me the control... but it never stays there. So my choice is often to turn them off... or turn everything else up to match.

The guys who go DI-only are my friends. :)

(By the way... I'm primarily a guitarist... but I think I've owned a bass as long as I have had guitars. I still wouldn't call myself a bass-player though, 'cuz that would be kind of an insult to folks who can really do it properly. My axe collection can be seen here or on my Myspace Page.

Just to clarify, I would be using the PA amp to power my cabinets. Essentially JUST using the head to amplify my sound. But the idea is the same. You get MY sound direct from my pedal not from the amp. So I wouldn't cry if you wanted the direct sound. My guitarist does the same thing. He uses a Roland pedal that does all the amp modeling and sound structuring. His amp and cabs are more for stage sound. You could literally DI both of us and not lose our sound(how many bands could you say THAT about haha).

Of course some times we have no monitors and need the stage sound. And of course some venues, all they have in the mix is drums and vocals and we HAVE to run stage sound. It all varies based on the venue. I try to cut out more of the lows and mid lows to give an even sound for the engineer. All my programs are equalized so that there should be no need to retweak my sound based on my effects.

Oh... does it show I used to do FOH?

Ah... OK.

Yeah... in places where there are no monitors that's understandable. We have 12 stage mixes to work with, though. And it's a really "live" room... The less stage volume we have, the better it always sounds.

And as long as it's a controlled sound and level on stage, I have no issues.

But the people who come in and point the right amp at the back wall, turn it all the way up, and boost all the lows and cut all the highs I always want to ask: "What are you thinking?!?? Do you not realize that it sounds totally different out here, 50 feet away, than it does right there next to you? It's a loud, sloppy, muddy mess out there, and the rest of the band sounds like crap because of it!"

Often... it's the upright jazz players I have the worst time with. My EQ for them is almost always the same: Lows high-passed to 200, mids cut dramatically, highs boosted above 1K just to get some note definition. Then compressed to hell. 4:1 at least.

But as many times as I have had that conversation about changing settings at the amp... it almost always falls on deaf ears.

Abe Laboriel is always one of my favorite bassists to mix. He never uses a stage amp... and always sounds great.

Incidentally that's why I have my sound from the pedal rather than the amp and cabs. I can turn the stage volume almost off and it still sounds the same, just lower volume. The guitarist is a little different in that he gets a bit of his sound from his cabs. But really if you just plug his pedal into the board, you have almost his sound... The cabs we use are really more for show at real venues with a real PA(it isn't like we can hear our cabs anyway when we're running around on a large stage).

Plus with us being wireless, many times we're in front of the house speakers. I usually trust the FOH guy. If he says I need to cut more lows, he knows the venue better than I do, so I cut my lows. Though some times, I know more than the FOH guy(not always, but on a few occasions it's just some guy who works the bar and in between bands sets up sound).

I'm not a sound geek... Sound junkie maybe... But I have never bitten the heads off of live chicken sounds....

I may be getting rid of the GK stuff... 3 months old and the 15 died on me. It's under warranty, so no cost to fix it, but my Ampeg gear lasted 8 years and hundreds of shows, and serious abuse. That cab hasn't even SEEN a show yet... Starting not to trust it... even after the repair...

Should have stuck with my gut... But NOooooo I gotta try new stuff. Ampeg working perfectly for years and years wasn't good enough for me....

Kinda wish I could get Trace Elliott gear here. Had some good luck with them too.

I've also heard many good things about Hartke. I got a show June 6th though.. Dunno if that's enough time to get acquainted with new gear AND write a whole set list of songs... We just got our drummer a week ago... Wrote our first song Saturday... Kinda in a time crunch... SOOOOOOo glad my cabinet decided to quit on me....

I had to completely shave off the beard a couple days ago for a show I was in.

This is the first time I've seen my chin in a year. I took some photos with the webcam last night.

picture055k.jpg

picture029e.jpg

I've actually never taken photos with a webcam before. It cost ten bucks and is pretty crappy . . . I'm surprised that they turned out decent.

Me.jpg

Me at work. Full face respirator so I don't breathe in Asbestos fibers. The white suit is to "protect" my clothing. The suits are plastic and tear easily.

Us-1.jpg

Me and my girl at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio, on the 11th of April of the year 2009.

Also, nice epic chin Wally!

• 1 month later...

Archived