Home

Microsoft goes after Apple's iPod

Char Ell

As has been widely reported today, Microsoft has officially announced it is going head-to-head with Apple in the portable and digital music distribution arena.

CNET's article

After trying for years to compete with the iPod through an array of partners, Microsoft confirmed Friday that it plans to directly go after Apple Computer with its own rival, Zune.

Confirming weeks of rumors, Microsoft said it will launch music software and players under the Zune brand, though the software maker left plenty unsaid in its confirmation.

"Today we confirmed a new music and entertainment project called Zune," Chris Stephenson, a general manager of marketing for the software maker, said in a statement. "Under the Zune brand, we will deliver a family of hardware and software products, the first of which will be available this year."

The initial device will have Wi-Fi and use a hard drive to store music, Microsoft said. Stephenson's statement also lent some credence to speculation that the company's player will use wireless connectivity to share music with other Zune devices.

Zune's launch website (of a sort)

Will Microsoft be able to repeat history and knock Apple off the top of the hill for a second time?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you've to wait till the animation is over, though i have absolutely no clue as to WTF the rabbit is all about.

i have an iPod Nano and it is just amazing. nothing Gates could come up with can match that. Apple are going to pwn MS's a$$.

What in the blue hell was that.
:D Indeed, hence the reason I added the (of a sort). I wasn't sure what to make of it either.

In any case, Apple is unquestionably sitting pretty with its portable music player products and digital music distribution channel. But MS is relentless. If they can build a comparable product to the iPod that is significantly cheaper then Apple may lose traction. Americans have shown time and time again that their first loyalty is to price. But whether or not MS can produce a product that truly competes with Apple's product line remains to be seen.

That webpage is scary. Hmm, I doubt we will see Microsoft conquering this area in the near future, the iPod has wormed its way into our culture - it is more a designer item than an actual MP3 player now. One of my friends managed to buy one... and he doesn't even listen to music.

To be honest, i think the only way Microsoft can compete is if they have some sort of msn messenger software that links to similar units. Sounds lousy but il bet my shoes that Microsoft try to sell it with a at least a bag of gimmicks.

^^^^

the only problem is that Apple has a huge head start with the iPod. so far, there hasn't been a real competitor that can match the iPod, and i don't think that M$ is going to be able to come up with one.

besides, i love my iPod too much to worry about a M$ clone/hack version.

^^^^

the only problem is that Apple has a huge head start with the iPod. so far, there hasn't been a real competitor that can match the iPod, and i don't think that M$ is going to be able to come up with one.

besides, i love my iPod too much to worry about a M$ clone/hack version.

XD That's exactly what I meant.

yeah, the $400 dollar one is the 60gb version, which unless you're just one of those people that "have to have the big'un" the 30gb is more than ample for listening to music or a few vids :D

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=CC4D3CBB&nclm=iPod

=============================

Anyone seen the pic of this thing? Can you say *cough* rip-off *cough* ;)

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/top/microsoft-argos-final-name-the-zune-186359.php

yeah, the $400 dollar one is the 60gb version, which unless you're just one of those people that "have to have the big'un" the 30gb is more than ample for listening to music or a few vids :D

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=CC4D3CBB&nclm=iPod

You don't even need the 30GB, really. I have a 1GB Nano, and that's more than I need...

Archived