Home

Neverwinter Nights 2 (May Contain Spoilers!! - Please Use Tags)

tk102

I swear, I think I'm going to have to beat down the Best Buy "stocker".. hehehe

I'm going again today.. if it's not on the shelves... someone's getting hurt (probably my "smack" talking arse.. hehehe :xp: )

Glad to see there is more party NPC involvement than the original NWN...

I hope so.. from what I first read, it sounded like they just implemented the HotU expansive companions... but the more I got into it, it sounds like there's alot more (unlocking Prestige Classes, "Influence", etc.)... I hope it's a little more involved than the original NWN's "personal item" companion quests...

HotU expansion did a much better job, along with the inter-companion banter.. but it still lacked in some areas...

* Is about to have a fit not being able to find this game locally *

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It also looks as though we'll have a game with a toolset tacked on... rather than a toolset with a game tacked on this time :xp:.

That's exactly the same impression that I got from NWN1. It was still pretty fun, though.

I'm interested in this not so much in modding NWN2, but more for the sake of modding KotOR3 (if and when!).
And IF OE is slated to develop it. If so, it's likely that they would use the same engine (Electron?). If KotOR3 is never made, maybe the modding gods could join forces and make it from scratch using NWN2's toolset (unlikely, but I can dream, can't I? :xp: ).

I'll definitely be getting this at some point. Need to upgrade my machine though...
Count yourself as lucky, then. I'll probably have to buy a whole new machine.

*pats XFX 7950 GX2*
You never tire of bragging about that, do you? :xp:

HotU expansion did a much better job, along with the inter-companion banter.. but it still lacked in some areas...
Agreed. HotU was the best part of NWN1's "official campaign," hands down. I've heard that some of the user-built modules are better, though. ChAiNz, since I know that you love NWN1, I was wondering which unofficial modules you thought were the best. There are so many that I don't know where to start.

Ofcourse...no money gain from free content.

That would seem to be the case, from LA's standpoint. I guess they never considered that KotOR2 would probably have sold better had there been a content patch available. The fools.

Playing Neverwinter Nights 2 is more akin to playing Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment than the original Neverwinter Nights

The greatest thing about the game seems to be the companions, apparently, it is agonising to choose who to take with you...

Oh. The party management was one of the things I thought was much better done in KotOR than in Baldur's Gate II. It always annoyed me that you could only bring along 5 of the potential party members, and the game actively discouraged switching people in and out of the party i some cases. (Like how the Jaheira romance plotline terminated permanently if you removed her from the active party even once (which caused the Flesh to Stone and Imprisonment spells to kill the plot as well), and how certain party members started to fight and kill each other if they were in the group at the same time (Keldorn vs. Viconia, Minsc vs. Edwin, Valygar vs. Viconia, Korgan vs. Aerie etc).

Felt like you had to spend half the time metagaming and babysitting your party rather than focusing on the story of the game. :) I hope NWN2 didn't revive those aspects of Baldurs Gate II.

There seem to be one, or two bugs in the game - but what was described seemed pretty minor -

There will probably be more. Large games tend to end up with hundreds of bugs of varying severity in the release version. Hopefully they are more committed to releasing patches for NWN2 than they were for KotOR2:TSL (or Bethesda are for Oblivion). Bioware was outstanding in that department with NWN1 where they kept releasing new patches fixing things and adding new features years after the game was released. With a toolset available it's easier to fix some kinds of bugs on your own though if you don't have the patience to wait for a patch. :)

It also looks as though we'll have a game with a toolset tacked on... rather than a toolset with a game tacked on this time :xp:.

Remains to see if that's good or bad in the long run. Short term it's better, providing the players with a more immersive game experience right from the start. But it's hard to deny the longevity of NWN, still going strong more than 4 years after it was released, which is much thanks to its active modding community and Bioware's support of that community, not it's original campaigns. I wonder if NWN2 will be able to repeat that success.

finally, the game I went SLI for ....

*pats XFX 7950 GX2*

too bad we dont get it here in Oz for another two weeks :(

Hmm, I was under the impression that NWN2 wasn't as graphically impressive as some other games recently released (TES4:Oblivion in particular) but focused more on story and game system mechanics than graphical eye candy. Would you really need such monster hardware for that? :)

FINALLY got it :emodanc:

Game looks amazing (other than hair... yuck), but man... I sooo need to un-train myself with Oblivion keymaps :headbump

You'd think my character was drunk I was all over the place just trying to get to a door :xp:

The graphics are lovely (it includes a Bloom setting).. max resolution is gigantic with up to a 24" widescreen setting!

Astro will be pleased... they finally included a playable Drow race.. and a Tiefling race as well (wasn't expecting that)! Character creation was long and arduous but to be expected for anyone who's played a D&D game, electronic or paper ;)

My main gripe is that install is 7 cd's, 7 freakin' cd's! meh.. I would've much preferred a DVD install disc, but oh well... it got the job done.. hehehe

I'd advise anyone to defrag your harddrive both before you install and after. Once I installed and downloaded the patch.. my drive was fragged all over the place :rolleyes: (thanks alot 7 cd's)...

...You never tire of bragging about that, do you? :xp:

lolz...would you ;)

Astro will be pleased... they finally included a playable Drow race..

yes, I knew this, and yes, it's FREAKIN awesome.

Lolz...need I say I preordered the DVD version....7 cds is CRAZY !! Just one of those discs to be slightly bunk could ruin the whole thing

Hmm, I was under the impression that NWN2 wasn't as graphically impressive as some other games recently released (TES4:Oblivion in particular) but focused more on story and game system mechanics than graphical eye candy. Would you really need such monster hardware for that?

Oblivion isnt NWN. I'd say its the spell effects and higher npcs that suck up the gfx juice :) Dont forget what SLI is for.....high rez-high framerate - run any recent game at/above 1600x1200 with all effects on and with high fps and it looks just damn great :D

mtfbwya

FINALLY got it :emodanc:

Game looks amazing (other than hair... yuck), but man... I sooo need to un-train myself with Oblivion keymaps :headbump

You'd think my character was drunk I was all over the place just trying to get to a door :xp:

Haven't gotten my copy yet. Of course they had to release it on a Thursday to make sure with 90% certainty it wouldn't make it through the mail before the weekend, so I have to wait until Monday. :roleyess:

Is the control scheme much different than how it was in NWN1? And can't you change the keyboard mapping to suit your needs? Games that won't let you change the controls are annoying, especially when you have the same controls in all other games making you press the wrong keys without thinking. :)

What's wrong with hair?

Is the control scheme much different than how it was in NWN1? And can't you change the keyboard mapping to suit your needs? Games that won't let you change the controls are annoying, especially when you have the same controls in all other games making you press the wrong keys without thinking. :)

What's wrong with hair?

Nah.. control scheme from what I remember in my NWN days (years).. is the exact same, and yeah they included a keymapper.. thank goodness.. hehehe..

The exact same 4 camera modes as well.. top, chase, driven, and "the other one" (can't remember) :xp:

I'm just so used to Oblivion's control set that I was trying their keys for NWN2 stuff :o

The radial menu is gone (&$#@!) :fist: BUT, at least Obsidian included a right-click actions menu.. it's just not as kewl as the radial menu (it's a drop down style palette) :lol:

The hair unfortunately looks gawd awful.. looks like 2.0 shading driven by 3.0 shaders...(like a course painted "hair-helmet") it's just a major disappointment when I first saw them.. plus there's no "full" long hair... just ponytails. Bloom didn't even help this matter, and I'm like Astro.. I'm playing this sucker with settings maxed out and the hair is just... "poor" to be nice ;)

Of course, now that I think about it.. I'm kinda disappointed in the hair/eye color schemes as well... granted it's a more 'natural' selection (browns, reds, blacks, blondes).. but there are no (heavy) shades of blue, green etc. styles. (Yes, I play odd hair/eye color characters.. hehehe) but even if someone wanted a blue/black.. it's not really a choice :(

But please, anyone, don't let this sway your decision on NWN2.. the game is absolutely still in the Mega-Awesome-Uber category. Despite my few "issues" I can already tell I'm going to be playing this thing for quite awhile :D

Felt like you had to spend half the time metagaming and babysitting your party rather than focusing on the story of the game. :) I hope NWN2 didn't revive those aspects of Baldurs Gate II.

I think unused party members either go to your lovely little castle, or to a tavern somewhere in NeverWinter, though I haven't gotten the game yet. Both of those seem to act as the Ebon Hawk of this game.

Haven't gotten my copy yet. Of course they had to release it on a Thursday to make sure with 90% certainty it wouldn't make it through the mail before the weekend, so I have to wait until Monday. :roleyess:

I know the feeling...

The radial menu is gone (&$#@!) :fist: BUT, at least Obsidian included a right-click actions menu.. it's just not as kewl as the radial menu (it's a drop down style palette) :lol:

As long as the functionality is essentially the same I don't mind. I thought the radial was kind of clumsy to use, lots of mouse movement to get to where you wanted to go, hopefully a more traditional dropdown is quicker to use, even if it's not as good-looking. :) (I use the numpad for character movement so I can't use it for radial menu quick navigation.)

The hair unfortunately looks gawd awful.. looks like 2.0 shading driven by 3.0 shaders...(like a course painted "hair-helmet") it's just a major disappointment when I first saw them.. plus there's no "full" long hair... just ponytails. Bloom didn't even help this matter, and I'm like Astro.. I'm playing this sucker with settings maxed out and the hair is just... "poor" to be nice ;)

Long hair seems to be something that's avoided in most games. It's probably too hard to make it look natural to make it worth it from a dev standpoint. But since hair apparently doesn't look natural in NWN2 anyway I suppose that's a moot point in this case. :)

The only game i've seen hair that looks even remotely believable so far has been Oblivion, so I don't think I'll mind that too much unless it's even more horrible than in the first NWN. Some crafty individual will probably have made a hair mod within a few weeks anyway. ;)

Of course, now that I think about it.. I'm kinda disappointed in the hair/eye color schemes as well... granted it's a more 'natural' selection (browns, reds, blacks, blondes).. but there are no (heavy) shades of blue, green etc. styles.

They still won't allow you to pick the hair color and skin tone more freely, but have to choose from a very limited palette of color picks? At least if they have more realistic color picks this time maybe there will still be more variation (no albino Drow or neon pink dwarves this time). :)

I want my game already. :(

what is really annoying is that down here in Oz (the different)distributors have chosen to release Medieval II pretty much at the same time. This means that between work, study, obligatory g/f attention time, NWN2, MII there will be only 1.5 hours left for sleep each day :(:D

yay for insomnia \o/ :p

mtfbwya

Archived