Home

Neverwinter Nights 2 (May Contain Spoilers!! - Please Use Tags)

tk102

I know some of you (eg. Chainz.2da) are looking forward to NWN2 which is supposedly released today. I'm behind the times, having just picked up Oblivion, so it might be awhile before I turn my attention to NWN2. If any of you have opinions about the game and the game mechanics I'd like to hear about them. :)

Edit: It's on its way. Thanks Amazon. :)

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will not be released in this corner of the world for more than a month. For some unfathomable reason the publishers tend to need a month or two to translate games from American to UK-English. :roleyess:

I loved the first Neverwinter Nights so I'll definitely get NWN2. Don't know much about it yet, I've avoided reading the forums and pre-release hype on purpose to avoid any spoilers and experience the game without knowing half of it before it's even been installed. :)

It will not be released in this corner of the world for more than a month. For some unfathomable reason the publishers tend to need a month or two to translate games from American to UK-English. :roleyess:

That's weird. The version of the game that is released in Europe on the 3th of November is UK-English, I think, like most.

I'm looking forward to it, too. I'll have to fight Jimbo for the desktop computer, though. NWN 1&2 won't play on my laptop and he's hooked on Morrowind at the moment, and I bet he'll be sucked in by Oblivion once we get that, too. :D

Looks like I'll be buying a new laptop soon :)

I loved the first Neverwinter Nights so I'll definitely get NWN2. Don't know much about it yet, I've avoided reading the forums and pre-release hype on purpose to avoid any spoilers and experience the game without knowing half of it before it's even been installed. :)

Do you know how many -u's they have to add in, and -er's to invert?

:xp:

That's weird. The version of the game that is released in Europe on the 3th of November is UK-English, I think, like most.

Hmm, perhaps it's just the site where I usually buy games that have the preliminary release date (December 3) set wrong then. Odd they wouldn't have updated it if the game really is just a couple of days from being released.

I can always hope this is the case and it will become available soon. :) You just get a bit weary from games like for example Deus Ex:Invisible War where the European-English version was released 3 months after the North American version (I could only wait a few weeks, then I caved i and ordered the NA-version even though it was more expensive with shipping costs included. :))

EDIT: Seems like incorrect date was the case; the release date on the site has now changed to today. :)

what kind of game is this? is it like kotor? free roaming? combat system?

As far as I know it's vaguely similar to KotOR (which was somewhat similar to the previous NWN) in structure with a main character and recruitable party members, area-based world design, dialogue/quest-driven story and a d20 (D&D) semi-realtime game system. It hopefully still has the more freely controlled camera of NWN rather than the locked one of the KotOR games.

Do you know how many -u's they have to add in, and -er's to invert?

And how many z's need to be changed to s's :p

what kind of game is this? is it like kotor? free roaming? combat system?

PCGamer UK gave it 90% with the summary:

A marvellous RPG with stunning tools

It's

> Traditional > Elaborate

> Constructive

It's Not

> Cliched > Overwhelming

> Just for D&D fans

---

Which is nice. There was quite a bit of Avellone worship in the article, which was only mildly disturbing but apparantly we should "File this alongside KotOR and Planescape." It seems that it has been heavily influenced by Obsidian's work on KotOR II - "NWN2 is closer to KotOR 2 than to the original game."

The moral decisions are supposed to be interesting and complex... requiring some time out to think about their repercussions. "Perhaps you'll be given the choice of helping the soldiers kill the thief, sitting back and watching, or saving the thief from the soldiers. Maybe the thief is evil. Maybe the soldiers are. Maybe neither." The greatest thing about the game seems to be the companions, apparently, it is agonising to choose who to take with you...

There seem to be one, or two bugs in the game - but what was described seemed pretty minor - although, quests retriggering when you completed them last time you played has got to be annoying. It also looks as though we'll have a game with a toolset tacked on... rather than a toolset with a game tacked on this time :xp:.

Edit: I think the camera controls are still the same but from what I've seen of the videos around there seems to be a KotOR-style camera too.

There are some file format changes (most notably the TLK file is now UTF-8 encoded) and based on some of the screenshots from http://www.nwn2toolset.com it does appear that the Vector and Orientation fields exist in the GFF file format. I'm interested in this not so much in modding NWN2, but more for the sake of modding KotOR3 (if and when!).

Amen to that :D

Playing Neverwinter Nights 2 is more akin to playing Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment than the original Neverwinter Nights[/Quote]

I really like that bit, those two are among my favourite game, im currenty on a new playthough in Planesacpe:Torment. I probaly get it at fast i have a chance, it will come tomorow here in sweden, so if i see it in a store i probaly buy it

Archived