Home

Very bad things! *keep it clean!*

jebbers

You never going to be old enough to go to a bar?

OH! THAT'S RIGHT! I can get older!

Bars in Washington have a very strict no Furby policy :(

No, the Furby Look-a-Likes Liberation Front went to congress and had that ruling struck down or something.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That vid was f***in amazing. First jumping down from the ceiling, then the microphone swing, then the guitarists and singers choking the cymbals for the drummer, then the guitarists throwing guitars between each other, just, holy s***.

I am old and out of touch with whats hot anymore. I never heard of Valient Thorr, but they sound and look like sick fun. They remind me of a more coherent version of The Jesus Lizard from my youth. Musically they were an "acquired taste" but all of their shows were the talks of legends.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=The+Jesus+Lizard&search_type=

Its not really a sudden thing, and he isn't really that young (not that old though either, 73). Hes had a ton of medical problems over the past four or so years, and what its ultimately come down to is he has emphysema and has lost the use of one lung and the rest of his organs are failing. They rushed him into the hospital yesterday morning, and against his wishes, the doctors put him on life support. Tomorrow, the family is gonna go take him off it because thats what he wanted, and from then on its just a very short time.

I went in with her today to the hospital and it was horrible. I feel wicked bad for her because shes only 17, and she herself has had a ton of medical problems, so much so that our school made her drop out because she has been missing so much school because shes sick. Shes taking it ok, but seeing her reaction to her dad with all the tubes down his throat was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to experience...

But thanks everyone, I'll pass along all your thoughts to her and her family.

An update: Her father passed away last night. She said he held on for 12 hours after they took him off the life support. Enough time to say goodbye I guess.... hes better off cause he was in a lot of pain before, and while his family obviously is upset they do understand hes better off now than all the pain he was in before.

Rest in peace. Thanks for the thoughts/prayers again, everyone. Always hard to lose a parent, especially when as young as 17...

I was just called earlier this evening. They found my car, and the guy is in custody. They found the car in Mokeena, a town near where I work. I assume the car is not totaled since the thief was driving it. According to the message on my voice mail, the guy had several felonies. I won't know anything else until I call the detective tomorrow morning.

I was just called earlier this evening. They found my car, and the guy is in custody. They found the car in Mokeena, a town near where I work. I assume the car is not totaled since the thief was driving it. According to the message on my voice mail, the guy had several felonies. I won't know anything else until I call the detective tomorrow morning.

Hey! That's fantastic! Congrats, Grooves, I hope everything works out with you getting it back!

=]

Here is a horribly bad thing...

The Dark Knight got 1 Golden Globe nomination. Pineapple Express got 1...

I hate awards. They're all run by old ass GOD DAMN IT I DON'T WANT TO RESTART MY ****ING COMPUTER RIGHT NOW jackasses who wouldn't know a good movie if it kicked their damn dentures out of their mouths.

Here is a horribly bad thing...

The Dark Knight got 1 Golden Globe nomination. Pineapple Express got 1...

I hate awards. They're all run by old ass GOD DAMN IT I DON'T WANT TO RESTART MY ****ING COMPUTER RIGHT NOW jackasses who wouldn't know a good movie if it kicked their damn dentures out of their mouths.

Sucks, but the Oscars are what really matters.

I'm waiting for the Academy Awards.

Sucks, but the Oscars are what really matters.

I'm waiting for the Academy Awards.

As am I, but most of the movies I see usually are not nominated for any awards. Mainly because they are usually over-the-top action movies and crude comedies. :p But, I think The Dark Knight will be up for a few. Dunno about Pineapple Express. Despite the fact that it was an awesome movie.

I'm guessing that the major competition against The Dark Knight will be The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I haven't seen it yet, obviously, but it's already getting great reviews and the trailers look fantastic.

Besides those two, I really don't know what serious contenders we could have this year for Best Picture. . . except for maybe Wall-E? That's be pretty groundbreaking.

Besides those two, I really don't know what serious contenders we could have this year for Best Picture. . . except for maybe Wall-E? That's be pretty groundbreaking.

Yes, that would, which is exactly why it would never happen ever. Sure, I could be proven wrong (Return of the King still surprises me, even though they pretty much had no other choice), but what little consideration I had for the Academy's opinions died out a long time ago. I seriously doubt they would give Wall-E a second glance for best picture, and I have a strong suspicion that they would give The Dark Knight even less of a chance. The day they give a comic book movie best picture is the day I eat my own face off. Benjamin Button is much more likely, if they can get past the sci-fi elements. Anything not firmly grounded in that familiar "real-world" drama motif of their past best picture winners (broadway vibe can also help) is usually given only technical recognition (with the one exception of RotK.) They might consider Wall-E based solely on the social commentary, but it's doubtful. You can expect that it will receive best animated feature, and maybe best sound design or something, but that's pushing it. Dark Knight will get something random like best screenplay, maybe effects. Heath Ledger will probably get a sympathy nomination and might win. If they don't give it to Benjamin Button they'll probably give best picture to something relatively unknown and forgotten, instead of what it should go to.

See I agree with nearly everything you're saying, IG, except for that last line.

I can't remember any time when the Academy gave best picture to something "relatively unknown" or "forgotten." It's always given to big, blockbuster pictures (A Beautiful Mind, No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Chicago, Gladiator, etc -- all very well known films). When ROTK came out it honestly didn't have much competition at all that year, and I feel that we face the same issue again this year. There have been no big hits that have been films "grounded in reality." Meanwhile, despite its Science Fiction elements, The Dark Knight was a brilliant commentary on modern society (as was Wall-E), and thus it worked on many different levels, you know what I mean? I really expect a nomination for Best Picture for both of them. Will they win? Probably not, especially since Benjamin Button looks like definite Oscar Quality, but we'll have to see.

Maybe I should have stated that differently. I was trying to say that they probably wouldn't give either of the movies best picture, so they would probably decide on something else, and, as such, being relatively unknown, since I couldn't think of any at the time. :p

I do see what you mean though about there being no competition. After refreshing my memory about what all came out this year, I don't really see anything else they would consider. Perhaps this will be another year where the Academy is backed into rewarding a good movie they would otherwise have not have considered.

I'm also not much of a movie insider, so I never really hear much fanfare about the movies that win until they've already won, because they're generally not the kind of movies I like seeing. So I suppose every year I expect there to be some kind of highbrow insider movie that I had never heard much about before.

Honestly I don't think I've gotten over the year the Oscars pissed me off the most, which was 2002, where the broadway-fest Chicago won best picture, art direction, cinematography, costume design, film editing, and sound over both LotR:The Two Towers and the Pianist. X|

Archived