Home

Most Memorable Video Game Moments (Spoilers abound!)

Bee Hoon

Let's face it, most of us here have played waaaaay too many games for our own good. On the other hand, some of those games have brilliantly written moments that just scream "AWESOME!!111"

Personally:

The Sith Lords: the meeting of the remaining Jedi Council on Dantooine

Jade Empire: after rescuing Master Li (to be honest, that was more of a "ooooh bad feeling...oh wth!!)

Neverwinter Nights 2: the trial, and the siege of Crossroads Keep

Mask of the Betrayer: meeting Myrkul and Kelemvor.

So what about your favourite moments?;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The "happy" ending of Planescape: Torment. Felt like I was saying goodbye to a bunch of friends.

- Entering "The Glow" of Fallout was very creepy.

- Contacting the Enclave from the Gecko nuclear base in Fallout 2. "What a rube." :D

- Launching the ship in Fallout 2

- Reciting a moon poem with Valesco in Grim Fandango

- Finishing the Atari 2600 Raiders of the Lost Ark in the wee hours of the night with a bunch of friends during slumber party

- Seeing Dragon's Lair for the first time. Holy cow.

- Discovering the existence of MAME...

Since we're talking memorable, I'm going to list anything that flash before mine memorie:

- Dad installs Quake 3 demo - my first FPS experience leaves me baffled and exhilarated.

- My entire run of Deus Ex, which I still hold to be my most favourite game ever.

- Running Unreal Tournament 2003 right after getting my first graphics card, several months after I bought the game.

- Those great UT matches where you played like an hour or two, not for the score, but for the fun.

- Duels from Jedi Academy - many memories there. Like being screwed up by a server running that really popular mod I don't remember anymore. Picking up a rival in the interwebs and fighting him was fun.

- When I finished Monkey Island 1 - I had tears in my eyes.

- When I finished Monkey Island 2 - My face was contorted to produce the most astounded "WTF" expression ever.

- Once remember a crazy run in Operation Flashpoint. I had hardly any ammo, was heavily injured and had to cover like 600-800 metres alone, with my squad dead. That was both crazy and fun.

- When I stood atop a cliff in that gorge level in Far Cry - wow.

- Portal's Still Alive - sweetest moments of my life.

- One Age of Empires II match I was really impressed with, starting with the usual, we had built massive city-fortresses - it was just a totally epic, undescribable game.

- The... hospital level from Quake IV.

- Grim Fandango's ending, and the poem in the Blue Casket (As we dance this grim fandango...) and the part where Glottis' heart stops.

- Finally seeing light in Fallout's first hour - I had a terrible monitor that had its gamma malfunctioning - most of the world was literally pitch black.

- Republic Commando's depriving ending.

- When I jumped off of that top building in Midtown Madness 2 - man, that game was awesome.

- One moment in Superbike 2001 when there was this crash and my bike shot up like a rocket. It was crazy. It fell down after a few seconds with the same velocity. It was a bug, but man that was awesome.

- The first two Russian levels in Call of Duty - masterful design.

UPDATED:

- A scene in KotOR II where you see Darth Traya in the cave at Korriban. It wasn't particularly scary, but it just gave me goosebumps all over. The entire cave from that scene onwards was pretty well-made.

- When in Halo, that librarian thingie (drat, forgot its name) mentions how many of those gate thingies there are in the Library. My jaw dropped open.

- Clive Barker's Undying: several creepy moments here. The one where you hear the whispering just before meeting Lizbeth. The first time you see those creepy flying monsters after defeating Otto Keisinger. The first really creepy scene where there's a ****ing body hanging from the lamplight when you turn on Scrye.

- Golden Sun, where Saturos and Minardi take the elemental starts - that was pretty unexpected.

Hmm...

KOTOR1 - The opening sequence, followed by your little 'discovery'

KOTOR2 - Same as Bee's.

NWN2 - Same as Bee's again - The trial was written really well, and the Siege was great too.

Mass Effect - Clearing the hill on Eden Prime to see the Sovereign leaving, and then climbing up the side of the Citadel, towards it's maw...

- Discovering the personal history of the King of Shadows in NWN2. Was not expecting that twist at all.

- Meeting The Founder in Mask of the Betrayer. Putting the story/timeline together for the first time with all the pieces.

- My very first trip to Balmora. It was nighttime and it started to rain just as I stepped off the siltstrider platform. Looked up at the sky to see the roiling storm overhead. Awesome.

- Meeting the false Nerevarines. Not pretty. Not really significant to the story. Just one more layer in the immersive world that Bethesda created.

- The opening sequence to Oblivion. Very cinematic. Soaring score gives me goosebumps. Too bad it's mostly downhill from there.

- Getting my lightsaber in KotOR/KotOR II.:slsaber:

- Portal's Still Alive - sweetest moments of my life.

- Republic Commando's depriving ending.

- The first two Russian levels in Call of Duty - masterful design.

Still Alive had me laughing my @$$ off.

I believe the RC one belogns in the "WOrst Video Game Moments of All Time" thread :xp:

THe Russian levels in CoD were excellent, and were just as awesome in CoD 2.

EDIT: Oh and going into Ravenholm in HL2 for the first time and doing the "Little Rocket Man" achievement in Episode 2.

Ahhhh, there's so many of them, I surely won't be able to name them all, but...

Grim Fandango

- "What's going down clown?"

- Trying to hack into Domino Hurley's terminal in El Marrow

- Glottis' heart

- Getting the pumps to upgrade the Bone Wagon (Glottis swirling on that damn tree)

- The scope outside Calavera Cafe

- Glottis' Bone Wagon song, Glottis' gambling problem

- Pretty much every character from Rubacava

- "Please put that away." and "That too." at the edge of the world

- "Look what could've happened to you." - Domino before his death

- LUMBAAAAGOOOOO LEEEEMOOOOONAAAADEEEEEEE!!!

- ...and pretty much everything else you can think of from Grim Fandango

Monkey Island 3 & 4

- Insult Swordfighting

- Monkey Kombat

- Murray, the evil skull

- Stan

- "It's me! Wonton Goodsoup, your long lost nephew." and the subsequent fake death.

- Skull Island ("But... it looks like a duck")

- The Voodoo Lady

Half-Life 1 & 2

- The G-Man and all his appearances, but especially the one in HL2 Episode Two

Kane and Lynch

- the scene where Kane and his family are supposed to be executed, when his wife took the bullet I was like OMG!!! Holy @#*!

Mafia

- The ending, again a "Holy @%$! what an awesome game!" moment

- Trying to kill Morello, the Corleone Hotel and subsequent Church shootout

Portal

- The "Still Alive" song

- The final showdown with GLaDOS

- "You have successfully completed the last part of the test where we pretended we were going to murder you."

The Legacy of Kain games

- Soul Reaver 1 outro/Soul Reaver 2 Intro

- Moebius and his schemes

- Raziel's joining with the Reaver in Defiance

- The end of the duel between Kain and Raziel in Defiance

- Moebius showing his true colors at the end of SR2 and the subsequent duels.

- Moebius' final death in Defiance

StarCraft

- The secret level in Brood War

I could probably think of dozens more, but the ones I've named so far have probably already made you think "What's wrong with this guy?" :D

God of War 2 - The entire initial sequence against the Colossus. Talk about heights.

Shadow of the Colossus - The ending. Pure art.

KotOR - Revelation scene.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Quite a bunch...

1. Sgt. Raikov? \o/

2. The torture scene with Snake. Followed by the shot on his eye.

3. Who The Boss really was. I think I cried.

4. Ocelot on the White House garden. Set me thinking.

Devil May Cry 3 -

1. Opening scene

2. Last battle. That one, when the credits are rolling.

There are others but I can't remember them right now. Read: tired.

It's really endings and final bosses that imprint themselves, as I'm the sort of person who starts many games but finishes very few, so if I get to the end it feels like I've invested a lot of emotion into it.

- Finishing KotOR 1. I played it after being in a gaming slump, and it was refreshing to have been caught up in the game so much and then rewarded with the "feel good" ending that's rare in the kinds of games I play.

- Facing Dark Falz for the first time in Phantasy Star Online. I was playing the offline mode, and my first fight against him was playing co-op with my brother and some of his friends. We'd been at it for a few hours, having decided to try and tear through the last two levels all at once, under-levelled and poorly equipped. It's disquieting when you hit the boss teleporter and find yourself standing in this beautiful, peaceful meadow, but you see the monolith in the middle and know that something bad will happen if you touch it.

- The "Tower of Salvation" section in Tales of Symphonia after the Flanoir event. First Zelos betrays you, then you get to see all of your party members sacrafice themselves one by one so you can keep climbing up the tower to rescue Colette. Though you half-expect to get them all back anyway, it's still a relief when you reach the top and reunite with all the party members you'd been losing on the way up.

- The first time you see Captain Gordon in Disgaea. His voice had me in hysterics. I love "idiot heroes" if they're well done, and I think Gordon qualifies for that.

- The first time you see Captain Gordon in Disgaea. His voice had me in hysterics. I love "idiot heroes" if they're well done, and I think Gordon qualifies for that.

More than that, Gordon was, of course, purposedly made to look like your cliché hero. I think one of Thursday line went:

"Beep Beep Blip Beep...

Gordon keeps... Staring at Jennifer... Things."

I think that was a roflmao moment.

Half-Life 1 & 2

- The G-Man and all his appearances, but especially the one in HL2 Episode Two

That scene was entirely unexpected and threw me completely off. I'm just standing there, watching the events unfold and suddenly the action stops and I hear that sinister voice saying, "Doctor Freeman..."

I'm surprised we haven't had any kindly members posting the BioShock revelation, to be honest :p.

Yeah, I have quite a few:

Duke Nukem 3D

-Kicking the giant eye out of the cyclops' head right at the end of the game

-All his classic one-liners

Warlords Battlecry

-The crulety of Minos and his boss (forgot name), and then later in the game you find them dead.

Warlords Battlecry II

-Finally getting the "Orb of Etheria", after countless hours trying to conquer all 67 provinces

-The death of any Titan, talk about blowing a chunk out of the enemy

-Leaving the Daemon and Human Citadel's alone until near the end of the game, pretty much impossible on harder difficulties, very satisfying once completed :)

Metal Gear Solid

-The entire storyline, Pure Class, one of the best storylines in any game, ever.

-The battle against the Hind-D, had me on the edge of my seat the entire fight.

Metal Gear Solid 2

-Everything after the computer thingy went whacko, and how the Colonel was acting strangely, only to find out the truth...

KotOR

-The Revelation aboard Malak's Ship (I forget the name) I did suspect it abit, but I more expected one of my Party Members to be Revan.

-The epic annihilation of Malak's army aboard the Star Forge

TSL

-Kreia's cryptic words

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

-Seeing Angel taken hostage and everything that happens afterwards

I have many more, but I can't really be bothered thinking at the moment.

My Favorites:

Super mario 64: Getting 120 stars

Jade Empire: At the emperors throne. That almost made me go closed fist.

Nhl 99: Turned 1-4 to 5-4 on less than one minute in the stanley cup final.

Halo: The end of the maw.

Kotor: Revelation scene.

Well, i'm back with more :D

Warlords Battlecry III

-Defeating the last main mission to entrap the Fifth Horseman in his Citadel

Hitman: Blood Money

-The satisfaction of getting Silent Assassin on A Dance with the Devil

The Simpsons Game

-The final boss fight with God in Dance Dance Revelation to Scorpions Rock you like a Hurricane. Best. Boss fight. EVER!!

WWE: Smackdown Vs Raw 2007

-Defeating Batista with the Undertaker in the No Way Out PPV after being brutily assaulted before the fight by a masked eprson with a crowbar and having to fight the match virtually unconscious

Here goes my list:

- Playing Dark Forces my first SW game ever.

Blasting my first Storm Trooper... ow yeah :p

- Getting Dark Forces 2, seeing the Intro and the actors;, it was like OMG a new

SW movie and ofcourse getting the lightsaber.

- Playing Unreal and seeing the enemies play with dice, don't know why, but I liked it :)

- Playing NFS 3, some fun countless afternoons of races with my friend in SplitScreen.

- Getting my hands on Quake 3 and running it on my first Geforce Card

- the Kotor games, where to start

- Recently VAmp: Bloodlines , already tons of fun memorys on the insane characters of this game.

- Half-Life 1 and 2, tons of fun stuff, good action scénes that get your heart pumping.

- My first hours in Morrowind. The land never seemed to end.

- GTA games, hilarious and endless fun of destruction and other insane affairs.

- Carmageddon, there's just something about the insane idea for this game.

- Dawn of War, finannly I could stop spending money on my Armies as they got virtually alive and kicking.

- Starcraft and Diablo series left their mark.

Think thats about it :p

The Sith Lords: the meeting of the remaining Jedi Council on Dantooine

Jade Empire: after rescuing Master Li (to be honest, that was more of a "ooooh bad feeling...oh wth!!)

Neverwinter Nights 2: the trial, and the siege of Crossroads Keep

You just named my most memorable... and then there's Revan's revelation in KotOR & the moment in Halo when you reach the room where the soldiers were killed by the Flood (aka, the first meeting with the Flood). Also, the moment just before that when you get the see the last moments of the soldier.

Archived