Home

LucasArts registers Star Wars The Old Republic as a trademark

Char Ell

Why? Think NWN.
Now that would be interesting. After all, Pavlos did report on BioWare releasing the final NWN patch. Maybe BioWare are readying themselves to ramp up a SW-based successor to NWN?

However this would also imply that the game would be for PC's only, as I don't see how a NWN-esque game would work on current consoles. And considering how LucasArts is highly favoring consoles and handhelds these days then IMO chances of this happening are greatly diminished.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if the game was for consoles, I could maybe see it being for Xbox 360 and then PC but even that's a stretch I think. I would be more surprised if it was for consoles than I would if it was for PC. Obviously it looks like bull**** when they say it but LA has said they aren't abandoning PC and maybe this will be their return to the PC.

Please God, NOOOOO! :(

Really now? Actually, I'm cheering at this news prospect.

The term "Old Republic" already takes away a major argument against the whole KOTOR MMORPG thing. It imples that the setting can be moved to wherever. We can have it during the Hutt-Republic Wars, the Mandalorian Wars, the Great Hyperspace War, the even during the aftermath of the eventual True Sith genocide. The Old Republic timeline is very broad, you know?

If Bioware sets "The Old Republic" outside of the KOTOR timeline (which looks rather likely considering that they don't add in the very important "Knights of The" title, it cannot seriously be called the KOTOR MMO, can it? Sure, it'd still be full of lame, but at least we can be certain that the KOTOR series is smothered rather than released as an MMO with the "Exileians" and the "Revanics" factions. Okay, "Daughters of Exileians" and "Sons of Revanics" will arrive instead, but hey, it doesn't hurt to have your ego be glorified.

...We'll miss you True Sith. Exit is on the right. :waive1:

You have a point, there, SS. I take it that you're not a fan of the whole "True Sith" cliffhanger. Though I'm rather neutral on that issue, I would like to see some sort of resolution to the whole Revan/Exile story arc; preferably in a game and not a comic book.

I agree with SS how just The Old Republic part could place the mmo anywhere in that time frame or because Knights of has it's time line kinda set where it is.

I'm not a huge fan if they make KOTOR 3 into an mmo but I wouldn't rule me out on playing it, and I think if you look at the story line they left with KOTOR 2 it's kinda... ideal maybe is the word I want because there's so many things that need doing before the Republic can confront the True Sith(The Jedi Order needs rebuilding which is left to the Exile's companions, The Republic forces by Carth and other, the Mandalorian Armies by Canderous and a bunch of other stuff ( Yes, I am a fan of the idea of fighting the big red dudes)

So I can see how they can make an mmo out of that, but I would much rather have a single-player KOTOR sequel

:rofl:

I hope that was intentional :D

_EW_

Yes, Ender, it was intentional. I'm just not very good at emulating the writings of trained chimps.

That it wouldn't be KotOR comes to mind. [/Quote]

Agreed. The KOTOR franchise has built its name on being a single player experience, not some over done MMO experience.

As I said before theres plenty of room to maneuver around the 2 KotOR's, and by definition an MMO called the old republic cannot be a third KotOR, but to be honest if K3 came out and it followed the true sith crap and similar styling's of K2, I dont want it! I dont think I can take another 50 hrs running round an un-familiar galaxy, with my Gamboge colored saber, in my robes of a later time, fighting force wounds and retconns, dreaming of K1

As I said before theres plenty of room to maneuver around the 2 KotOR's, and by definition an MMO called the old republic cannot be a third KotOR, but to be honest if K3 came out and it followed the true sith crap and similar styling's of K2, I dont want it! I dont think I can take another 50 hrs running round an un-familiar galaxy, with my Gamboge colored saber, in my robes of a later time, fighting force wounds and retconns, dreaming of K1

I just want a conclusion to the story of Revan and the Exile and everyone else, and I'm sure everyone here does too. I want to experience it myself rather than having to read it in some comic book in a couple years. I wouldn't mind the 50 hours of running around if it meant some conlcusion to the story.

Watching 12 year olds, who have all named themselves Revan, fighting over who is the REAL one comes to mind.

Here's a solution: ignore them?

@ED: Of course, it's not even KOTOR already. It's just Star Wars The Old Republic. The only thing it has in common with KOTOR is the era, as of now.

Here's a solution: ignore them?

I don't know how many MMOs you've played, but even for most sane people it isn't that easy.

When there's about 5,000 of them all doing the same thing at the exact same time cluttering your screen with all the garbage they spit out, it makes gameplay annoying as hell. And, if you have to cooperate with them for some reason (like a quest or item trading), and they're the only ones that can help you with it, it only makes things frustrating even more.

Maybe you can handle it, but most people can't.

A simple solution is removing the chat capability in the MMO...

I once played Runescape. Peice of crap of a game, what with all the insane people... The only repectable MMO I've ever come accross is alled EVE online.

MMO's are always unreasonably expensive. First, they start you off on you way, and then, a month after the trial, they make a new installment into the game, which makes you want to replay it, because that new installment continues the story in the game. But then you have to pay more money if you want to find out about the new addition to the storyline/ new features & such. So you pay to play, giving it the benefit of a doubt, and, a month later, after you think you've won, they update it again... and so on and so forth... And before you know it, you've forked somewhere between 100 and 200 dollars/euros/whatever to play a game where you had to tolerate the idiocy of children always being annoying. And when it's finally over, the conclusion just doesn't seem near as worth it as you were hoping, because the hard work of hundreds of hours of gameplay with crazy kids has left you in a bad mood.

That's the only future I see with K3, if it's an MMO.

Most games don't come out with expansion packs after only being on the shelves for a month, if that's what you meant by installments. Where MMOs really get there money is from the monthly fees.

Also, removing the chat capability would be a very senseless decision, because people need to communicate somehow, especially in an MMORPG where it's pretty much mandatory to succeed at many of the games functions. It's really just a matter of the game being able to monitor what gets said to prevent the 12-year-old annoyances. I know there are other programs that could be used to communicate outside the game...but people get overly critical quickly about everything, and removing the chat ability would be one of those things that gets really nagged about, considering its importance in a game of this type.

There was some info on features in the "More possibility" thread in the Unkown Regions.

http://www.ahazi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10846

Some random guy posted that though, so I wouldn't take it too seriously at the moment.

I agree with a lot of you. I would like to see a conclusion to the story that has been built up through 2 games.

I would take it REALLY seriously. Apart from some info about the gamplay, that guy revealed the title - The Old Republic. A YEAR ago. (message was posted on 07-21-2007). Revealing the title a year before we knew it makes him more reliable than any other "inside info leaker" ever was.

This leaked on the ether earlier today. The SW-style opening crawl for KO-MMO

[align=center]It is a period of civil war....

A pack of whiners, striking

from their hidden wankdens,

have won their first victory

against the evil KOTOR MMO.

In a stunning move, and driven

by net-mob-hysteria, a non trial

evaluation based purely on emotional

responses has won the day....[/align]

very moving,

*wipes tears*

mtfbwya

Aw, come on Astro. Tell us how you really feel now. :D

A check of registered domains shows:

- starwarslegends.com is registered to Paul Baldowski of Boreders in Stockport, Great Britain.

- starwarssagas.com is not registered

- starwarstheoldrepublic.com is registered to CSC Corporate Domains, the same company that maintains registration for the lucasarts.com domain.

That helped clear things up for me. :smirk2:

I once played Runescape. Peice of crap of a game, what with all the insane people... The only repectable MMO I've ever come accross is alled EVE online.

Galaxies, pre-NGE & CU.

And Guild Wars, if you talk to Inyri, Jae, Niner, Bob, the stoffe...... etc.

_EW_

^Guild Wars t3h rokczors....untill it got boring...

Anyways, everyone basically called the problem with a Kotor mmo on the spot:

-Kotor is about Jedi.

-About everyone wants to be a Jedi (although I suspect most 'real' fans out here might want to roll another class as well).

-You will need many people. About 90% of them loves Star Wars because it has Jedi. And sabers. And people dying because of the sabers.

-Jedi are the strongest beings in the SW universe.

So we'll have this:

Four respectable roleplayers from Ahto are planning stuff in a cantina. A smuggler, a bounty hunter...a slicer and a mercenary. They are about to make a heist.

Then, 'BurtVader1994' runs in, slices everyone to pieces before shouting: "Saberd. l0lzor."

Conflict between 'action l33t-gamers' and 'rpg-fans' I say...it will be messy. Like it is in Galaxies right now.

^Guild Wars t3h rokczors....untill it got boring...

Anyways, everyone basically called the problem with a Kotor mmo on the spot:

-Kotor is about Jedi.

-About everyone wants to be a Jedi (although I suspect most 'real' fans out here might want to roll another class as well).

-You will need many people. About 90% of them loves Star Wars because it has Jedi. And sabers. And people dying because of the sabers.

-Jedi are the strongest beings in the SW universe.

So we'll have this:

Four respectable roleplayers from Ahto are planning stuff in a cantina. A smuggler, a bounty hunter...a slicer and a mercenary. They are about to make a heist.

Then, 'BurtVader1994' runs in, slices everyone to pieces before shouting: "Saberd. l0lzor."

Conflict between 'action l33t-gamers' and 'rpg-fans' I say...it will be messy. Like it is in Galaxies right now.

:lol:, BurtVader1994. Accurate representation though.

I played Galaxies after the Golden Era, i.e. recently, but couldn't they just do the thing where you have to do a bunch of stuff in order to become a Jedi? Or did no one like that idea? It must have been novel if everyone liked that Galaxies era more than the current one.

Archived