Home

Favorite Signatures or Quotes

Darth_Yuthura

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It is the vague modern who is not at all certain what is right who is most certain that Dante was wrong. The serious opponent of the Latin Church in history, even in the act of showing that it produced great infamies, must know that it produced great saints. It is the hard-headed stockbroker, who knows no history and believes no religion, who is, nevertheless, perfectly convinced that all these priests are knaves." - G. K. Chesterton, Heretics, Concluding Remarks, 1905.

"When the old Liberals removed the gags from all the heresies, their idea was that religious and philosophical discoveries might thus be made. Their view was that cosmic truth was so important that every one ought to bear independent testimony. The modern idea is that cosmic truth is so unimportant that it cannot matter what any one says. The former freed inquiry as men loose a noble hound; the latter frees inquiry as men fling back into the sea a fish unfit for eating. Never has there been so little discussion about the nature of men as now, when, for the first time, any one can discuss it. The old restriction meant that only the orthodox were allowed to discuss religion. Modern liberty means that nobody is allowed to discuss it. Good taste, the last and vilest of human superstitions, has succeeded in silencing us where all the rest have failed." - Ibid.

"Because we are not in a civilization which believes strongly in oracles or sacred places, we see the full frenzy of those who killed themselves to find the sepulchre of Christ. But being in a civilization which does believe in this dogma of fact for facts' sake, we do not see the full frenzy of those who kill themselves to find the North Pole. I am not speaking of a tenable ultimate utility which is true both of the Crusades and the polar explorations. I mean merely that we do see the superficial and aesthetic singularity, the startling quality, about the idea of men crossing a continent with armies to conquer the place where a man died. But we do not see the aesthetic singularity and startling quality of men dying in agonies to find a place where no man can live — a place only interesting because it is supposed to be the meeting-place of some lines that do not exist." - Ibid.

From my most recent reading;

"If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory. There seems something more speakingly incomprehensible in the powers, the failures, the inequalities of memory, than in any other of our intelligences. The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control! We are, to be sure, a miracle every way; but our powers of recollecting and of forgetting do seem peculiarly past finding out". - Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

""I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W." - Jane Austen, Persuasion.

"Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it." Mr. Mark Twain.

My opinion of Mark Twain has gone down a small notch because of that, surely Pavlos you see the brilliance in Jane Austen's work even if you don't like it?

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king. - Tolkien

"Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it"- Thomas Paine

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms [and] may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

"Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -- James Madison

"Who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers." -- George Mason

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves -- Abraham Lincoln

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

“There is no place for the hyphen in our citizenship...

We are a nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.

We are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house." - President Theodore Roosevelt, "The Square Deal"

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. " -Ronald Reagan

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Reagan

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

j7's interesting fact of the day: Burke never actually said that, IIRC it comes from Tolstoy's War and Peace. (Or at least I've never come across it in any of Burke's work I've read, and I remember reading it was from War and Peace).

EDIT: Interesting article here; http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke head down to 'Possible misattribution' (towards the bottom).

j7's interesting fact of the day: Burke never actually said that, IIRC it comes from Tolstoy's War and Peace. (Or at least I've never come across it in any of Burke's work I've read, and I remember reading it was from War and Peace).

EDIT: Interesting article here; http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke head down to 'Possible misattribution' (towards the bottom).

D'oh! You're right. :o

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin

Hmmm.... quotes that inspire me...

"So much for my happy ending" Avril Lavigne

"My heart is broken, I'm lying here, my thoughts are choking on you my dear" Avril Lavigne

"The pistol, the poison, the noose, or the knife" Emilie Autumn

"Lady's and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice" Unknown

"I've got a jar of diiiirrrttt and you can't have it!" Captain Jack Sparrow

"Squib" 2 and a half men

"ONE DOLLA!" My best friend Alex

and my favorite...

"Give a man $100 and a pan, he can eat for a year, give a man 2 ex-lax, he'll do the same in reverse..." Something I just thought up

Oooo and...

"Turn your head and cough... now bend over and sneeze..." Whose line is it anyway

"Several Salem residents called police Sunday to report two people wearing white body armor and carrying what looked like long black machine guns.The people were walking down State Street around 4 p.m., drawing attention from passing cars, Salem police Lt. Dan Deitz said.Officers responded and found the suspects near the intersection of State and 22nd streets

They were dressed in Star Wars stormtrooper outfits and armed with black laser gun toys, Deitz said.

The police officers took no action."

"War, war never changes..." (Intro from the Fallout games)

"Oberint dum Metutant" (Let them hate just so long as they fear)

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

"So this is how liberty dies..with thunderous applause" (Senator Amidala)

"Wars not make one great.." (Yoda)

"Well, it's much like the dilemma of the centipede. If he relaxes and lets things happen, he can walk naturally all day long, his hundred legs not missing a step. But, if he thinks too hard about the complexity of what he's doing, those legs might crash into the teahouse and kill everyone. A valuable lesson." - Kang the Mad, Jade Empire

"When one relies on sight to perceive the world, it is like trying to stare at the galaxy through a crack in the door." - Kreia, K2

Well, since there have been a ton of great quotes posted, I'll post my favorite racing and otherwise quotes. Yes they're in my sig too.

"Fear disturbs your Concentration!" -- Sabine Schmitz

"A racing addiction makes a crack addiction look like a vague desire for something salty." -Randy Hickman

"It is the head and not the foot that is instrumental in any one driver's achievement. Few consider that" -- Peter Sauber

“[Motor racing has been] damaged, maybe irrevocably so in North America” -- Sir Frank Williams

"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines." -Enzo Ferrari

"... in '59 I ran out of brakes four times -- and I don't mean they didn't work very well, I mean I had none. Like the main oil line had sheared. You know, so that oil, you know, when you put your foot on the floor, the oil just went squirting out into the atmosphere. I'd always believed that Colin was close to genius in his design ability and everything, if he could just get over this failing of his of making things too bloody light. I mean, Colin's idea of a Grand Prix car was it should win the race and, as it crossed the finishing line, it should collapse in a heap of bits. If it didn't do that, it was built too strongly." -Innes Ireland. For reference, Colin Chapman is the guy who founded Lotus.

"Spa is a good race I would have enjoyed to be in myself. Pure skill. I would like to be racing now. It is the safest and best paid time to be racing . If I lived in America I could sue my mother for having me too early- for the loss of income!" -Nikki Lauda at the end of '97 season

"I didn't make mistakes. I made prophesies which immediately turned out to be wrong." – Murray Walker

"You win some. You lose some. You wreck some." – Dale Earnhardt

"You do things, you f*** people, it's racing." – Niki Lauda

"The first time I fired up a car, felt the engine shudder and the wheel come to life in my hands, I was hooked. It was a feeling I can't describe. I still get it every time I get into a race car." – Mario Andretti

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal." – Alan Kulwicki

Okay I have a few:

JLUnlimited

"This little doohicky beeps when the doohicky is near" -Atom to Aqua Man

"James, are you off your meds again?" - The Flash to the Trickster

------------------------------------------------------------------

Family Guy

Lois: "Oh Peter they're gaining on us"

Peter: "This is more intense than that time I forgot how to sit down"

(Shows Peter enter the living room, looking at the chair puzzled, crashes into it.)

Peter Griffin: [to Carter] I promise, you'll love it here, even more than Julia Roberts loves herself.

[cut to Julia Roberts, standing in front of a display of candles]

Julia Roberts: Hi, I'm Julia Roberts. You know, a lot of people died in the tsunami, but don't worry, I didn't. And I'll be here to entertain you and love my life for many, many years to come. Me! ME! MEEEEEEE!

[hugs herself and laughs uncontrollably]

--------------------------------------------------------

Simpsons

Chief Wiggum: See ya in court, Simpson. Oh, and bring that evidence with ya; otherwise, I got no case and you'll go scot-free.

Agnes Skinner: "Seymour! Are you looking at naked ladies?"

Seymour Skinner: "No Mother!"

Agnes Skinner: "You sissy!"

---------------------------------------------------------

Drawn Together

[to Xandir]

Snagglepuss: Heavens to mergatroid! You look fabulous, even!

Elmer Fudd: What a weally gweat behind.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived